Thread: Giotto Premium - Uneven pour

Giotto Premium - Uneven pour

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    When using the double porta filler, my Giotto Premium seems to fill the right hand side with more espresso than the left. Usually the left has 30ml by the time the right only has about 20-25ml. I have checked my bench with the spirit measure and that seems straight on. I have also given the porta filler a good soak and clean but that seemed to make little difference.

Any ideas?

Re: Giotto Premium - Uneven pour

Uneven tamping may be the cause. Make sure the cofee is level in the basket and your tamp is even.

Gday "cm"... :)

Most likely culprits are.... Your Giotto isnt sitting level on the bench and/or there is a bit of flashing in the PF spout that was missed after casting and needs to be gently filed off with a small round file.

Cheers mate,
    Mal.

Has anyone experienced that their group head spout (the double) does not line up straight (or perpendicular) to the machine? Mine is about 20-30 degrees around. Trying to align the spout straight involves unscrewing the spout from the group head, enough to leave it a little too loose.

Any suggestions?

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

are you saying the whole group handle is 20-30 degrees around? or just the spouts......if its the wholegroup handle.....group seal buggared?, if its just the spouts, use some plumbers tape to wrap around the thread on the handle till it tightens at the correct point......

cheers
    warren

Quote Originally Posted by 1713352C2C2936212E400 link=1228021806/4#4 date=1263504618
    are you saying the whole group handle is 20-30 degrees around? or just the spouts.....
    Just the spouts. Group handle itself is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 7061767E72707B7A7D76130 link=1228021806/5#5 date=1263504816
    Just the spouts.Group handle itself is fine.
    No - the spouts on my GPP are perpendicular to the handle.

You dont want the spouts loose. Try the plumber tape mod as Warren suggests but, as its a new machine and you are also getting an uneven pour, Id take it up with your machine supplier as a potential warranty issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 777D687F7F706462110 link=1228021806/6#6 date=1263506002
    You dont want the spouts loose. Try the plumber tape mod as Warren suggests but, as its a new machine and you are also getting an uneven pour, Id take it up with your machine supplier as a potential warranty issue
    I think I may have caused a little confusion here actually. *I HAD a Giotto Premium that had an uneven pour. *I have since upgrade to the Giotto Premium Plus, which has the off-centre spout. *I was looking through my old threads remembering I had some sort of similar issue on the Premium and came across this one! My GPP does NOT have an even pour.

Sorry for the confusion - will try the tape and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by 7766717975777C7D7A71140 link=1228021806/7#7 date=1263506287
    Sorry for the confusion
    My confusion - I didnt check the date of the OP in this thread.

Id still check with the supplier first as I wouldnt be modding a machine under warranty without their knowledge/go-ahead

Just checked with the supplier and - guess what - the suggestion was to use some plumbers tape wrapped around the thread. Funnily enough, they said that it was actually a good think to do anyway as it stops small amounts of coffee getting caught up in the thread.

So I did that - wrapped some plumbers tape around the thread about half a dozen times and it now seems I have a perpendicular spout again!

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

No worries ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 4C5D4A424E4C4746414A2F0 link=1228021806/9#9 date=1263512326
    Just checked with the supplier and - guess what - the suggestion was to use some plumbers tape wrapped around the thread. *Funnily enough, they said that it was actually a good think to do anyway as it stops small amounts of coffee getting caught up in the thread.

So I did that - wrapped some plumbers tape around the thread about half a dozen times and it now seems I have a perpendicular spout again!
    Nice work!

Im glad you were able to remove the spouts easily. When I tried that on my previous VBM I had to put the spouts in a padded vice, and the pressure needed to move the spout had me very worried for the integrity of the handle. It flexed alarmingly and I was certain it was going to break before the spout turned!! Fortunately that didnt happen. :)

Greg