Thread: Steam Steam & more steam Question

Steam Steam & more steam Question

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So I was spoilt when I did some Barista training on Friday. I got to use a commercila machine and was blown away by the ammount of steam power it had. My SB6910 is heeps slower.
    My question is: Do machines in this catergory generelly have stem like a commercial. We drink mostly milk based drinks and like to steam while pulling shots.
    Any info would be great.
    Regards
    Crisp Image

Site Sponsor

Re: Steam Steam & more steam Question

The thermoblock on the 6910 doesnt deliver the "hit" of steam like a domestic boiler machine does, let alone a commercial machine. If you want more steam, look for a machine with a decent sized boiler.

charlie

hhmm fair question.
    at this kinda price range i guess you might get similar steam capabilities as a full blown multi group commercial, if not fairly indistinguishable
    BUT, i would guess that the difference would be more noticable when steaming multiple jugs in succession. more than likely youd be hard pressed to "beat the machine" in this category, particularly if you pulled double shots and steamed for two milk drinks and then went back to shots etc, as opposed to lining up say 6 shots and then steaming 2 large or three medium milk jugs.

there have been many posts of folks using single group prosumer HXs like giottos and vbms that have found little lacking in the steam department when catering for large crowds of people.

aaron

I had one with just under 2 litre boiler, and no where near steam power of a commercial machine. it was ok, but not comparable. Im guessing it also depends on the steam valve design?

I think it comes down to the overall design of a machine, right from the outset when the machine operating parameters were handed to the design engineer. I dont think there is a dud in any of the hardware on offer from our CS Sponsors....

Pretty well any machine in this class is going to have significant steam capacity, able to match 99% of domestic situations and even in some small commercial ones. Dont forget about Andy and his sojourn into the cauldron that was the recent Victorian Bush Fires catastrophe. He supplied coffee on an almost continuous basis to the various Rescue and Aid Agency personnel at one of the major muster centres. Produced somewhere in the vicinity of 2,000 coffees using his very own Giotto :o

Thats got to speak volumes for machines talked about in this category.... 8-)

Mal.

MMM Intresting comments. When the SB breaks down then I am alowd to upgrade. I will then have a chat to some of the site sponsors and if possible have a play on some too.
    Thanks
    Crisp Image

Quote Originally Posted by 1B2A312B28073135393F3D580 link=1241859865/5#5 date=1241921680
    MMM Intresting comments. When the SB breaks down then I am alowd to upgrade. I will then have a chat to some of the site sponsors and if possible have a play on some too.
    Thanks
    Crisp Image
    An excellent plan "CI"..... 8-)

Once you have your budget settled, try to get a hands-on demo with each of the machines that lie within that range, rather than just a couple. There are some great machines around that for what ever reason, dont get a lot of air play on these pages despite their excellent design and heritage. Im not just talking about my own personal favourite either.... ;)

Cheers mate,
    Mal.

Ive not yet to use a fully fledged commercial machine, but my VBM domobar super has definitely enough steam for me. A few months ago, two of us made about 30+ coffees with one of us pulling shots while the other steamed milk almost constantly. (Just had to top up the water tank & empty the drip tray a couple of times) Although, I imagine that any HX / dual boiler machine with a descent sized boiler(s) would be just as good.

Also, keep an eye & an ear out for 2nd hand machines. Bargains do come along, and might make your budget go further ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 0538203D253F28344D0 link=1241859865/7#7 date=1242917361
    Also, keep an eye & an ear out for 2nd hand machines. *Bargains do come along, and might make your budget go further ;-)
    Agreed. I got a 1 group with a 4L boiler that way...

More than enough steam for my 400ml jug ;D Less than 10 seconds to steam milk for one drink.