Thread: New Machine recommendation - Reale compared to Expobar?

New Machine recommendation - Reale compared to Expobar?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello Coffee Snobs,

Great site you have here, lots of good information and very informative.

We currently have an old Bezzera, that has expereinced a few problems and now wont start (so sort of electrical problem...). Its my dads 50th soon, so we are looking at replacing the machine for him, with a budget of $2000 - $2500.

We have been out to Cosmerex and have looked at the Diadema Reale (Regal). The main question I have is whether its worth the extra money to get the bigger 2L boiler over the 1.3L boiler. Once or twice a week will make about 8 cups in about 10 minutes, otherwise its normal duties would just be 1 or 2 cups a time..
    Another question I had was how the Reale compares to the Expobar Minore III? or any other recommendations for machines in that price bracket.

Re: New Machine recommendation - Reale compared to Expobar?

Id ask Attilio his opinion on whether he thinks the 1.3 will cope with the 8 cups in 10 minutes.

I have an Expobar with a 1.8L boiler and it easily did 6 cups including milk immediately followed by steaming 4 hot chocolates on Sunday.

It will not just be boiler size but also heater element power that makes a difference.

TC

Hi Rob,

Might be worth asking the barista whether he can manage 8 coffees in 10 minutes and then speak with Attilio or one of the Diadema selling sponsors if they are closer to you- *;)

Generally speaking, you will be better off with the bigger boiler if the element is larger in that model.

I have only used the 2L model and it performs very well...

If it were my purchase, Id probably shell out but Im easily swayed ;)

FWIW, the Minore III uses 2000W elements in both boilers, but steam performance is influenced by a myriad of other factors such as valve anatomy as well. Most machines have elements of about 1200-1800W and its the balance between boiler, valve and element which is important. Best bet is to try it and make your own decision.

2mcm

Hello Robb welcome to CS and congrats on your first post.

Come on back in and I will give you a demo on a new 1.3 litre machine, then you can have a go and you can decide. Suggest an appointment with me would be the go so give us a call and if I cant come to the phone please leave a message with your number. Tell the girls you came through CS....it will get you preferencial treament and I will set time aside from other stuff (more about that in another topic when I have a moment) to see you.

Thanks for checking us out.

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

PS sage words from 2mcm regarding the steam performance being influenced by a variety of factors working together and not just boiler size or capacity of the element. *A good example of this would be from when we were importing the Splendor machines.

The original version Splendor was 1.3 litre boiler, 1300 element, and a certain type of steam valve and steam pipe and nozzle. The steam performance was very soft and mild.

The upgraded Splendor Maxi still had the same boiler and element capacities but a different steam valve, pipe and nozzle. The steam performance was greatly enhanced. Plus you could improve that further by tweaking the nozzle.

The 3 other Diadema Junior models (Levetta, Semi automatica and volumetric) *all have the same boiler and element and guess what, the different steam valves and nozzles result in different steam behaviour and capacity.

The 2 litre Junior EXTRA and REGAL models have a longer lasting steam, but not necessarily extra aggression in the delivery......it is subject to the individual model set up and really requires a test run to see the tangible effect being displayed by each one in comparison to the others.

But when alls said and done, most people at home are not trying to break speed records when making a few lazy social cuppas on the weekend so you have to wonder whether the growing number of "large" (for home use) boiler machines in the "semi commercial" ("prosumer" if you believe in yank speak) category being offered around are really only offered because the punters think that having the extra cubic inches is important, which can make the smaller boiler machines harder to sell - rather than - *whether there really may be a great advantage in most areas of home use by the larger boiler capacity machines over the smaller boiler machines.

That said I took my first 2 litre REGAL home three weeks ago and it is a beautiful, easy and forgiving machine to use. But......I was getting just as much trouble free good use out of the many Diadema Juniors I have had at home with 1.3 litre boilers doing exactly the same things over a great number of years, in the "lazy social cuppa" stakes.

Its up to the individual to decide what is important to them, perhaps with the help of a comparison demo in a "CS friendly" environment.

A lengthy post written from the heart hehehe!

Hope this helps. *

Makes me think about the old Home Improvement shows. Tim was a sucker for hotting up everything he could get his hands on.

IMO, you can always make something bigger, faster, more powerful (or all three at once). But it is rare that doing these things in isolation will improve performance per se.

The 4L boiler in my machine (that Attilio has been gracious enough to help me out with) in combination with its valve, arm and 2 hole tip gives me more steam than I can handle at the moment. I can still make better microfoam on the breville cafe roma (for now ;) )

Site Sponsor

Hi Robb,

Why not trade-in your old Bezzera for a brand new Bezzera Domus Galatea?

Not only youll be getting those few hundred dollars off your total upgrading bill, but youd also be getting a powerful 2 L boiler machine and 1400w element, with a swivel steam arm that delivers strong, uninterrupted steam pressure for those larger jugs and multiple coffee scenarios.

It is known to cater well for those semi-commercial environment, like in the following thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1218411506

You can PM / ring / email me for your trade-in quote. If in Sydney, drop by for a Giotto / Isomac / Expobar / Domus / Vibiemme comparison.

Ofra

TC

:-? Huh?? Did I miss something there?

I thought that Robb had expressed interest in the Reale (Regal) or the Expobar machine. The preference seems for the Reale and he has already met with Attilio in Canberra where he lives.

Seems to me that only the final decision is pending....

I missed that too.... :-?

Gotta be bloody quick around here sometimes :o

Mal.

Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 526F6262000 link=1242120600/0#0 date=1242120600
    We have been out to Cosmerex and have looked at the Diadema Reale (Regal).
    Hi Robb

Having just bought a 1.3 Reale from Attilio, Ive been giving it a work out the last 3 days with some family staying - there has been no probs at all. The boiler is really fast to refresh - by the time you have ground, dosed and tamped after a double basket shot its up to full pressure (therefore boiler temp for the shot) again.
    I have however noticed that the boiler doesnt handle 500ml+ too well for hot chocs for the kids at one time, but I get better/faster results with a couple of smaller jugs anyway.
    Its a great machine! (and saving $400 allowed a few extra bits to be added too ;))
    DBC

Hello all.

I always use a 600 ml jug, a little less than half filled with (full cream)milk, and that does two standard cappuccino cups worth for the two *espresso portions I produce with the double filter. I only do standard sized coffees....if I want more I follow with a second cup and that way each one is freshly made and at the right temperature.

If I am making 4 cuppas, I just do that same jug twice. Its quick and I get a better result for my own technique and way of doing things, than trying to use a 1 litre jug to do the 4 at once (or two hot chocs or whatever!). Its all only a matter of working out a way of managing your equipment, whatever it may be, and as already stated above I dont try and win any speed races with coffee making at home ;)

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments and feedback everyone. I went into Cosmorex yesterday and spent half an hour talking to one of the guys only to walk out still unsure what to do.
    Dad had mentioned the price of the 2litre machine to us, and so for safety sake, and just in case he decides he wants to do 1 litre jugs of milk (we currently use the same method as you Attilio with a 600) the family has decided to spend the little bit extra to get the 2litre machine so will be going back into the store at lunch time :)

Cheers,
    Robb

Hello Robb thanks for coming back in.

As long as I am not over the road when you return today I *will take you into the staff kitchen and we will roll out 4 espressos & use a one litre jug with the Diadema Junior that we use in there (1.3 litre boiler model), and see how we go. *We then immediately roll out another 4 espresso portions (and while the machine is doing that the steam pressure is recovering) then do another milk lot with the same jug.

You have to be prepared to drink my brews!

It wont be identical to the REGAL but you will get the drift ;) , and I dont think you will find there will be any problem.

In the meantime Ill have a 2 litre REGAL on the bench warming up so can do the same thing with that.

Cheers,
    Attilio.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 784C5B4D56617D5158585B5B3E0 link=1242120600/11#11 date=1242352591
    Hello Robb thanks for coming back in.

As long as I am not over the road when you return today I *will take you into the staff kitchen and we will roll out 4 espressos & use a one litre jug with the Diadema Junior that we use in there (1.3 litre boiler model), and see how we go. *We then immediately roll out another 4 espresso portions (and while the machine is doing that the steam pressure is recovering) then do another milk lot with the same jug.

You have to be prepared to drink my brews!

It wont be identical to the REGAL but you will get the drift ;) , and I dont think you will find there will be any problem.

In the meantime Ill have a 2 litre REGAL on the bench warming up so can do the same thing with that.

Cheers,
    Attilio.
    Fantastic service Attilio....For mine, thats what its all about. Matching your client with the right machine, not the one with the biggest margin, and lastly, not flogging inappropriately or agressively. You get my [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]. Well done...

2mcm

Arhhhh,

Thank you 2mcm, and let me quickly say.... "blush"!

Cheers,
    A.