Thread: Giotto Rocket circa 2001 - should I buy it?

Giotto Rocket circa 2001 - should I buy it?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all. I have been following many discussions for a while on this forum, and have been very tempted by many of the wonderful coffee machines that have been for sale... however this is actually my first post!

Now to my question... I have the opportunity to purchase a Giotto Rocket... it apparently has been well serviced and cared for... it will be selling for sub-$1500 with an unspecified ECM grinder... BUT it is circa 2001. Is this something I should be worried about? Clearly something new is better, but should I take the risk and just get this machine?

I currently have a built-in coffee machine and grinder, and it is rubbish. I work from home (web developer) and really enjoy my coffee, but cant stand what I get from this machine (although after a quick chat with Chris from TalkCoffee I actually got a much better coffee out of the machine...still not great, but better).

My specific requirements probably dont lend themselves to such a wonderful machine (thus I cant justify the $3K for a new one of these beasts), but I really really really want a coffee machine that you dont have to wait to froth the milk!!

Any advice is very welcome.

Cheers.

Andrew...

TC

Re: Giotto Rocket circa 2001 - should I buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by 6D6B79620C0 link=1242598536/0#0 date=1242598535
    Hi all. *I have been following many discussions for a while on this forum, and have been very tempted by many of the wonderful coffee machines that have been for sale... however this is actually my first post!

Now to my question... I have the opportunity to purchase a Giotto Rocket... it apparently has been well serviced and cared for... it will be selling for sub-$1500 with an unspecified ECM grinder... BUT it is circa 2001. *Is this something I should be worried about? *Clearly something new is better, but should I take the risk and just get this machine?

I currently have a built-in coffee machine and grinder, and it is rubbish. *I work from home (web developer) and really enjoy my coffee, but cant stand what I get from this machine (although after a quick chat with Chris from Talk Coffee I actually got a much better coffee out of the machine...still not great, but better).

My specific requirements probably dont lend themselves to such a wonderful machine (thus I cant justify the $3K for a new one of these beasts), but I really really really want a coffee machine that you dont have to wait to froth the milk!!

Any advice is very welcome.

Cheers.

Andrew...
    Hi Andrew,

The big difference between the Giotto Classic and the Giotto Premium is that the Premium has MUCH better steam performance. The anatomy of the GC valves is really poor and for mine, akin to a machine with terrible asthma. The other big difference is that the wands are not ball jointed- exiting from the front panel of the machine. A thermostability upgrade makes no difference to steam performance and is therefore money wasted.

If it was me, Id hold out for a GP but if thats all the budget can manage, Id test it first before parting with any cash.

Also, if anything like a control board goes in this vintage of machine (or a GP for that matter), a new GPP boards would have to be used but require a new wiring loom as well. Its a high $300s job....

FWIW, I have a client with upgraditis which could lead to a pre-loved machine for sale in the next couple of months...

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the quick, and really informative reply.

Unfortunately the machine is in NSW (I am in Vic), so I cant test it. I think that gives me the answer I need... dont waste my money!!

I would definitely be interested in the pre-loved machine. I missed out on one a few months ago as I was a bit slow on the up take! I will send you an email shortly.

:)

Cheers.

If the machine is 2001 that should make it an ECM Giotto, do your own research and decide if it is the machine for you, I have recently purchased a 2004 version of this machine 2nd hand and am very happy, however have not been able to get answers to some simple questions from this forum, so you must be aware that this is a sponsors forum and it exists to sell new product or "on sell" upgraded product. Take from it what you need and leave the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by 6F6F6F6F60252625560 link=1242598536/3#3 date=1242638247
    however have not been able to get answers to some simple questions from this forum
    Really? You got an answer from me (one of the Sponsors) about packaging, and you got an answer about the shower screen etc. within 24 hours of your question being posted.

What other questions have you asked that havent as yet been answered and whats your expected turn around time for responses?

Am avidly looking forward to your contributions as well as further questions.

Having already put in my 8+ hours, Im off to do some roasting from now until midnight so that orders placed today, get to my customers tomorrow.

Cheers! :)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 77777777783D3E3D4E0 link=1242598536/3#3 date=1242638247
    If the machine is 2001 that should make it an ECM Giotto, do your own research and decide if it is the machine for you, I have recently purchased a 2004 version of this machine 2nd hand and am very happy, however have not been able to get answers to some simple questions from this forum, so you must be aware that this is a sponsors forum and it exists to sell new product or "on sell" upgraded product. Take from it what you need and leave the rest.
    Nope....The Giotto premium was released in 2003...A 2001 Giotto will be a Giotto Classic.

Hopefully, you feel as if your comments have been addressed and we look forward to some actual contributions ::)

Quote Originally Posted by 3D3D3D3D32777477040 link=1242598536/3#3 date=1242638247
    sponsors forum and it exists to sell new product or "on sell" upgraded product.
    Cant agree with you there, sure there is some sponsor activity but they add to the information in the forum. There are some very passionate people who contribute their experiences to members for no reward. The forum exists because of the sponsors and the sponsors need to get a return for their time and money but it is not the primary focus otherwise it would not have the thousands of members and continue to grow.

End of rant.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7D737E716670711F0 link=1242598536/6#6 date=1242643642
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D3D3D3D32777477040 link=1242598536/3#3 date=1242638247
    sponsors forum and it exists to sell new product or "on sell" upgraded product. *
    Cant agree with you there, sure there is some sponsor activity but they add to the information in the forum. There are some very passionate people who contribute their experiences to members for no reward. The forum exists because of the sponsors and the sponsors need to get a return for their time and money but it is not the primary focus otherwise it would not have the thousands of members and continue to grow.

End of rant.
    Agree.

As highlighted above... These people are both sponsors and non sponsors... The love of coffee and sharing, is what the main focus is..

I tried to address the subject where the machine was called "Rocket" Giotto if this is correct I apologise, I assumed for that era it was an ECM. As far as premium/classic I made no mention.

Quote Originally Posted by 143B32302718343B34323038303B21550 link=1242598536/7#7 date=1242644175
    Quote Originally Posted by 7D737E716670711F0 link=1242598536/6#6 date=1242643642
    sponsors forum and it exists to sell new product or "on sell" upgraded product. *

End of rant. *
    Agree.

As highlighted above... These people are both sponsors and non sponsors... The love of coffee and sharing, is what the main focus is..
    99996sps Dennis beat me to it but Ill also add that you also got a response about your 6910 problem that you were satsified with.

I couldnt find anywhere in your 22 posts that we havent been helpful.

Im a bit annoyed with the attitude that seems to have come across in your most recent post.

I hope Im just reading it wrong.

Thunder "not a sponsor" god

Hi All. Sorry I stirred up so much "inspired" conversation! Good to see that people are passionate about their beliefs.

To answer everyone... I think Chris from Talk Coffee is right... if I cant test it, then probably dont buy it.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this conversation. I must say that I have found these forums to be more then just for the sponsors to "sell" their wares... everyone on this forum really tries very hard to give informed, and informative responses. I for one have been very happy spending hours trawling through the info on this forum.

I probably should stop looking now and actually GET a decent machine!!

Thanks again for all the wonderful responses.

Cheers.