Thread: Elektra Espresso Machines

Elektra Espresso Machines

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    im curious to see if anyone has any feed back on these sexy machines, particularly the Micro Casa or "Family Retro" Range. just on user friendlines, possible issues and even prices if youve seen them round.
    yay vintage revival!
    joe

Re: Elektra Espresso Machines

Ciao,

run hot

small drip tray

steam well, but fixed wands

looks that make most other machines look like a bucket of the unmentionable

low group head - not good for tall cups/mugs, but you can add an aftermarket naked portafilter to overcome this, in part

expensive

look great

not very "tweakable"

did I mention, look fantastic?

cheers

shaun

Also, the body is the boiler, so gets hot +++, and can introduce you to your long lost Italian uncle "Zio Burno Ouchio Ouchio"

cool well that not great, though i wonder how long it would take to over heat? and if only used for short period would this be an issue?

Hi,

it isnt so much that it overheats, it is more that - like a whole lot of E61 (and similar derivatives) - its "set point" is pretty hot. It, and I refer particularly to my Semiautomatica, requires a fairly big cooling flush after sitting for a while.

It isnt really feasible to use it for only short bursts, by which I assume you mean having it turned off when not in use, because it takes 30-45 minutes to get up to temperature. In this regard, it is no different to any other HX machine. I had mine on a timer, to come on about 45 minutes before I got up. I would run a long flush, till the water coming out was no longer hissing, then pull a shot.

The plus side is that it makes good coffee, especially espresso. It isnt the most user friendly machine, but you can learn to live with its quirks. I havent seen how it performs for "inter and intra shot temperature stability", (and I am happy to believe that it varies quite a bit) but the result in the cup is good. Is it any better than a VBM/ECM/etc/etc? No, its not.

I would recommend it for a "high art" piece in the home, especially if your usage pattern lends itself to a timer, and if you are willing to learn its quirks, and if you arent too fussed by the multitude of negative opinions you will be able to read - here and elsewhere. I wouldnt recommend it for a workplace environment, because of the risk of burns, and the general idiosyncrasies it has.

It is interesting to note that Elektra, as a brand, seem to have a much higher profile in the USA, while others (eg ECM) have almost none there but are popular in Australia. Obviously there are a lot of factors in this, but this market prominence will perhaps lead some people to form opinions that may be based more on perception than fact.

I hope this has helped (and I hope that there arent too many howls of outrage).

Cheers,

shaun

finally a user! thanks for the feed back. is there no way to turn the actual boiler temp down to reduce this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by 6C777E6A712C2C2A281F0 link=1243573674/4#4 date=1243725717
    It is interesting to note that Elektra, as a brand, seem to have a much higher profile in the USA
    I wonder if thats to do with their marketing?
    I looked into them a few years ago before getting my equipment.
    On top of them looking so nice the showroom is only a few minutes drive from home.
    The negative was that the showroom is open "by appointment only" and trying to contact them proved difficult.

(Coincidentally their website is currently down.)

Quote Originally Posted by 7E425F444E4F584D454E2A0 link=1243573674/6#6 date=1243740112
    The negative was that the showroom is open "by appointment only" and trying to contact them proved difficult.

(Coincidentally their website is currently down.)
    Phil from Di Bella might be able to shed more light on this? I read something re distributorship a few weeks back from him I think. Nice balanced post too, going to practice on my Pav right now :)

edit found it http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1233835421/6#6

Quote Originally Posted by 6D6A6E616963766661680F0 link=1243573674/7#7 date=1243740579
    Nice balanced post too
    Which one?

Shauns but if you feel better yours too ;)

Ciao,

back again. *While it is possible to turn the pressurestat down, and hence cool down the temperature, this will affect the steaming performance. *It may also have an effect on recovery time, but I would hope someone more technically knowledgeable than myself could enlighten us.

Thundergod makes the point that market profile is due to marketing, and I think that is correct. *There are many very good machines that have been selected to be "put forward" somewhat by their relevant retailers/distributors, and it doesnt appear that this has happened with Elektra. *For example, Chris from Talk Coffee is a big seller of VBM and Giottos, and has invested considerable time in learning those machines backwards. *As such, he will sell those machines preferentially (you know what I mean - and I mean no criticism), and the buyer will get excellent after sales service. *To my knowledge, nobody in Australia has made this investment, and nobody is making a similar effort to sell these machines.

Why is this the case? *Well, with the Elektra machines are expensive in Australia, and others brands will probably sell more units. *As such, it will probably not pay anyone to invest their time in the Elektra, compared to ECM/VBM et al. *I think that our market is probably not viewed as being too important to the good folk in Trieste, and so the factory makes a commercial decision to direct their resources to the more valuable North American market.

We are not unique in this regard. *I bought my Semiautomatica when working in the UK, and when I tried to buy parts from the distributor, was fobbed off. *In the end, I imported some of the bits I needed from Stefanos Espresso Care (I think in Oregon, US), who incidentally were really good to deal with. *(I apologise in advance for mentioning a non-sponsor, but I think there is something about context which would justify it.) *I went to the factory for the rest. *Will anyone in Australia do this?

Personally, I would love to see someone really direct their energies to positioning these machines in our market, and provide the backup that we can get with other makes. *It would require a pricing rethink at factory level, and possibly a few modifications. *If this did occur, we would then have an alternate to the current range, which I tend to find fairly similar. *Before the lynch mob arrive, I will point out that there is a bigger difference between an Elektra and a VBM, than between a VBM and an ECM.

Cheers,

shaun

PS *Did I mention that the Elektra looks fantastic?

Hello, I am new to the coffee world and am wondering what is the better machine an Elektra (Modern) or a Wega (Atlas)? Can any one fill me in with the pros and cons of the two machines? Thanks :)