Thread: Analyse This! Makin Maver Marte and Macap M4...

Analyse This! Makin Maver Marte and Macap M4...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All

As you probably know, Ive just upgraded from a relatively idiot-proof Sunbeam EM6910 and EM0480 to my Makin Maver and Macap M4. *Ive gone back to feeling like a noob!

Sorry, no photos yet: still playing around and trying to get it right, rather than post shots of reasonably shocking looking shots! :D

There are a couple of questions I have, being so new to an E61 HX and higher end grinder, and I have done some looking and reading, but cant find the answers to these questions, so Ill ask away!

Also, because the Maver is pre-loved, I didnt get an instruction manual so Ive been going it alone, with a couple of minutes verbal instruction from Chris of Talk Coffee. *I have sent an email to David Makin asking if he has a spare manual, but havent heard back as yet. *If anyone has a manual they could photocopy and send to me, Id really appreciate it and am happy to pay for the photocopying and postage.

So questions:-

Macap M4
    • With the M4, it says in the instruction manual to "Put the coffee beans into the Coffee Bell, open the fan and turn the machine on. * I cant find any reference to what the fan is...is this just the little plastic thing that you move out to let the beans through to the grinders?
    • When you grind into the doser, it all seems to dump into one or two little triangles, is this correct and the way it should be?
    • Also in the manual, in the Adjustment area, it refers to click adjustment and pusing in the fixing pin to move the grinder. *The only pin I can see is the one that has a flat head screw groove in it that fixes the hopper in place. *Is the fixing pin in some obscure place that I cant see, or does the M4 not come with this fixing pin? Ive just been using the micrometric adjustment instead for the moment.

Maver Marte
    • With the Maver, I put the PF into the group head and take the lever right up to the top, pull the shot for the required time, and then take the lever right down to the bottom again. *Is this correct or should I be moving the lever to the middle position and leaving it there for a couple of seconds?
    • Finally, when I take the PF out, Im finding there is a layer of liquid on top of the puck. *The puck is dry when I knock it out, but the liquid sits on top for a couple of seconds before sinking through. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help in anticipation!

Cheers
    Di

Re: Analyse This! Makin Maver Marte and Macap M4...

Hi Di
    Quote Originally Posted by 42657361790A0 link=1243731515/0#0 date=1243731515
    Maver Marte

* With the Maver, I put the PF into the group head and take the lever right up to the top, pull the shot for the required time, and then take the lever right down to the bottom again.Is this correct or should I be moving the lever to the middle position and leaving it there for a couple of seconds?
    * Finally, when I take the PF out, Im finding there is a layer of liquid on top of the puck.The puck is dry when I knock it out, but the liquid sits on top for a couple of seconds before sinking through. Is this normal?
    1st point
    Yes up all the way to start without pause
    and down all the way to stop without pause
    Note:- You can use the middle position when back flushing with chemical to allow soaking time

2nd point
    If your grind & your tamp depth is right
    You can put that down to a little residual water dripping from the group head
    If you leave the PF in until you finish making your coffee including steaming milk it would have dried
    Also dont worry about any swirl marks on top either the same water drips has created that

KK

I am aware that
    The manual provided by Macap still mentions the stop pin instructions for the stepped version.

Quote Originally Posted by 7F584E5C44370 link=1243731515/0#0 date=1243731515
    Coffee Bell, open the fan and turn the machine on.
    The fan may refer to the hopper gate

KK

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 694D444447477D694D514F4D220 link=1243731515/2#2 date=1243733428
    I am aware that
    The manual provided by Macap still mentions the stop pin instructions for the stepped version.

Quote Originally Posted by 7F584E5C44370 link=1243731515/0#0 date=1243731515
    Coffee Bell, open the fan and turn the machine on.
    The fan may refer to the hopper gate

KK
    Gotta lurve spain/ital/ching lish ;D

Great, thanks KK - the water is still there on the puck after Ive done my milk, cleaned up, etc.

Im wondering with the dosing whether Im either tamping too hard or dosing too high or too low also. It is a bit of an adjustment, in some respects, because you updosed the SB so much that Im having to relearn the dosing level.

I dont think the level is too far off, though, because my coffees are coming out beautifully tasting and dont seem to be either over or under extracted.

I think I do tamp pretty hard, though, but dont have a set of bathroom scales to measure the weight on (I personally think they are detrimental to self-esteem and banned them from the household years ago), but Ill tamp a bit lighter and see whether that makes a difference to the water sitting on the puck.

Ah, so no locking pin - thats reassuring. Pete always accuses me of not looking for things properly, so at least its not because it does exist and Im just not seeing it! ::)

I ditched the plastic tray at the bottom of the M4 after about 2 uses, too - I found it was far easier to clean the grinds off the kitchen bench than having to take the plastic tray out and tap it off each time. I also pull the grinder away from the back tiles when I want to use it and was finding that the tray just made the job harder...

I must say, this new journey is so extremely enjoyable and I think Im having the most fun (and best tasting coffees) than I have for ages!

Okay, so now I sound like an episode of Australian Idol with my journey talk! ;D

TC

Hi Di,

Try a classic dose and collapse:[*]Fill to a mound and brush off to produce a perfectly full and level basket- Dont apply pressure[*]Collapse with only the mass of your tamper[*]Fill and then brush off again[*]Adjust grind to suit

You can modify your technique slightly if you have trouble loading. Sometime I use a fingerprint style rolling wipe motion.

This is just one of many different dosing strategies. The key is to get the dose right for your machine and do EXACTLY the same thing every time.

Hows the coffee at chez Hoyks in comparison to the Sumbean? :P

Chris

Theres no benefit to using the middle position of the lever on an e61 that is not plumbed in. Even if it were plumbed in, I think that the benefit is questionable or, at the very least, a matter of taste. Personally, I think that half of the battle with these e61 box machines is getting less preinfusion time, not more. For AGES, I have been meaning to do some mods to experiment with this, but I simply havent had time.

Cheers,

Luca

Rule Number 1--Do not believe everything you read--especially in Italian instruction manuals ;D.

"open the fan"--this was slipped in from another book--probably an air-conditioning manual. Just let the beans fall onto the burrs, they do not need additional cooling :D.

"triangles"--dont know about this. Maybe its to give a purpose to the doser :P. My Macap doserless just puts the grounds in a nice heap in the portafilter.

"click adjustment"--this was a leftover from the "click-adjustable" book--since you have the micrometric you can just ignore it.

"middle position"--as KK said.

"water on puck"--as KK said, although a few more grounds in the PF may cure it (youll need to coarsen up the grind a bit).

In general the E-61s are very forgiving. What do you mean your shots are "shocking looking"?

Greg

Chris - the difference is phenomenal, as far as I can ascertain (I do say this with a slight disclaimer because I was on the pre-ground and SB4800 for a fortnight in between) but the coffees are just so sweet and rich in comparison to both of the previous machines.

I pulled a couple of shots on Friday afternoon when I was still dialling in the M4, and just had to drink them because I was soooo starved for a real coffee and figured they were better than nothing, and even they tasted good in comparison to the 4800!!!

My worst problem at the moment is not overdosing on caffeine - if I went with my desire, Id be making one every 30 minutes or so, but think it would be a severe case of maxicaffeination a la Tweak on Southpark...not good, although I guess I would manage to keep up with the kids! ;)

Luca - not having too many problems at all with the steam wand and Im microfoaming beaufifully, but that was after having read your tips and tricks, so I have you to thank for that! * The only real issue I have is that Im used to a 45 second or so gap between starting and stopping on the 6910, whereas on the Maver Ive got a window of about 15-20 seconds which doesnt leave a lot of room for error.

On the SB, I would turn the steam on and stretch for about 10 seconds and sink the wand, put the jug on the tray (I use a 600ml jug), put the shots from the shot glasses into the cups, add sugar (heathen!), stir and by then the milk would be read so would turn off, swirl and put the milk in the cup.

With the Maver, I dont even have time to put the jug down - *even if I wanted to - during the steaming!!! * Its also a lot easier on the Maver to hear when the milk is at temp, so I dont think Ill need the thermometer for much longer, although I am pretty addicted to it nowdays...

Greg - shocking looking as in, Ive got a severe case of not believing in myself and cant see any obvious pretty tiger striping at the moment so want to achieve this before I post photos.

Theyre probably not anywhere near as bad as I possibly think they are (Ive over You-Tubed on professional barista examples of shots) but Ill leave it a couple of days, play around with my dosing/tamping before I put my results up and that way Ill know any criticism I may receive is not just me getting used to a new machine/setup...

Im a wuss, I know!!!

:-/

Quote Originally Posted by 2B0C1A0810630 link=1243731515/4#4 date=1243734863
    Great, thanks KK - the water is still there on the puck after Ive done my milk, cleaned up, etc.
    Experiment with puck depth level and grind and you will be in caffeine heaven in no time

Coffee gives you wings

KK

I was actually wondering how you were doing with the steam wand when I made my cappuccino this morning. Ive moved to a slightly different wand positioning, which seems to work fine. The only really important thing is that you keep all of the milk moving and folding over itself. If you do that, you cant go too wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 654254465E2D0 link=1243731515/9#9 date=1243737015
    Greg - shocking looking as in, Ive got a severe case of not believing in myself and cant see any obvious pretty tiger striping at the moment so want to achieve this before I post photos.

Theyre probably not anywhere near as bad as I possibly think they are (Ive over You-Tubed on professional barista examples of shots) but Ill leave it a couple of days, play around with my dosing/tamping before I put my results up and that way Ill know any criticism I may receive is not just me getting used to a new machine/setup...

Im a wuss, I know!!!

:-/
    I dont think that tiger striping is necessarily indicative of a great tasting shot.

Cheers,

Luca

The tiger striping, in my experience, is only visible when using a bottomless portafilter, or (as I do) after removing the spouts.

Usually, having the coffee run around a corner or two, and then out through a spout mixes the stream and its a pretty homogenous colour. Have a look at Mals great shots here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1238486416/50 and youll see that only one pic has any visible colour difference in the flow.

What do they look like in the cup?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 7C5B4D5F47340 link=1243731515/4#4 date=1243734863
    I ditched the plastic tray at the bottom of the M4 after about 2 uses
    I wonder where I put mine? ::)
    I did the same.
    I think its in storage in the garage along with the built in tamper (which never went on).

Quote Originally Posted by 0438253E343522373F34500 link=1243731515/13#13 date=1243739448
    Quote Originally Posted by 7C5B4D5F47340 link=1243731515/4#4 date=1243734863
    I ditched the plastic tray at the bottom of the M4 after about 2 uses
    I wonder where I put mine? *::)
    I did the same.
    I think its in storage in the garage
    I did not take my grounds catch tray out of the box *::)

KK

Mmmm, wonder why they put some (dare I say it) crappy plastic tray with such a beautiful chrome beast??? Sort of akin to putting a crappy plastic tamper with a $3k espresso machine... :-?

Okay, Ive worked up the never to put myself up for feedback. Sorry about the multiple posts for photos but I havent yet got an account on any of the photo hosting websites...

Pic 1 - shot of pour about 10 seconds in:-

Pic 2 - Pour at about 20 seconds:-

Pic 3 - shots at about 4 seconds after cut off:-

Pic 4 - Shots at about 1 minute after cut off:-

Last pic - top of shots at about 10 second after cut off:-

TC

Great pix Di,

They look a tad quick and long to me :-?

Was the espresso balanced on your palate or a tad outer front and tending sour? :-?

2mcm

Probably about mid to back of tongue. *Cant taste any sourness, but thats probably because the sugar does a great job of masking it (major heathen!) and, honestly, Im still enjoying it after the SB4800 crappuccinos.

I looked at the puck (once the water had dissipated through), and the shower screen imprint was just slightly on it, so what are your thoughts - grind a bit finer, do you think?

PS - Also forgot to credit the beans - "Urban Blend" by Talk Coffee...yum!

They look like mine - so ill be eager to see what others think of those shots too. Although 2 hour old popper roasted sidamo isnt really the best drop, it was better than a caffeine free day. If the espresso isnt perfect, just drown it in white stuff I say!

In the first five or so seconds of the pour is it a darker stream than what is in the 10sec photo?

Quote Originally Posted by 163127352D5E0 link=1243731515/0#0 date=1243731515
    I have sent an email to David Makin asking if he has a spare manual, but havent heard back as yet.
    He will be away in Adelaide for a few days.

When you grind into the doser, it all seems to dump into one or two little triangles, is this correct and the way it should be?
    Absolutely. Dosered grinders are really designed for pre-grinding the whole dosing chamber full of coffee. When you pull the lever, one "triangles" worth of coffee falls out. You can set the depth or height the triangle sits in the dosing chamber which will effect how much coffee comes out using the pre-ground method. This will allow you to adjust dose and hence allow you to dose a full handle in just 3 pulls of the lever as opposed to grinding fresh and manually dosing a handle.

With the Maver, I put the PF into the group head and take the lever right up to the top, pull the shot for the required time, and then take the lever right down to the bottom again.Is this correct or should I be moving the lever to the middle position and leaving it there for a couple of seconds?
    Unless the machine is plumbed in to mains water pressure (which your machine is not capable of), just lift the lever all the way up to engage the brewing pump and all the way down to stop.

Finally, when I take the PF out, Im finding there is a layer of liquid on top of the puck.The puck is dry when I knock it out, but the liquid sits on top for a couple of seconds before sinking through. Is this normal?
    The proof is in the cup. The photos you have posted look fast. How hard or soft are the pucks youre knocking out from the portafilter after brewing? If it is mushy/muddy and you can totally sink your finger in to it, you will need more coffee in the handle.

Try this. Dose the handle 3/4 full, tap (on portafilter fork preferably or bench) once to collapse the dose. Dose again and ever so slightly overfill the basket tap again. When using this technique it is important to be consistent in where you collapse and how hard you collapse the dose.

At the end of the day, a little bit of water sitting on the surface is not unusual...unless youre underdosing the handle (and a lot of water will be sitting on top) which may or maybe not the case (stick your finger in and check!)

Thanks David and all

Ive had a bit of a play in the intervening period (and gone through a serious load of beans...sorry Chris, so thankful you sent me two 500g bags!)

Here are some more results.

In a nutshell, the first shots are with the grinder set a bit finer (two turns of the micrometric adjuster) and dosed a bit higher in the basket. *Seemed to take forever to come out after preinfusion (about 10-12 seconds), so I dont think it was the best, although the coffee looked nice coming out:-

Yay - just worked out that we can now multiple post pictures!!!

Next set of pictures is a grind another about 3 turns of the Micrometric Adjuster, and as high as I would normally dose. These shorts seemed to turn out the best, but I concur to all of your advice.

I did try one more adjustment of the grinder, but it choked the Maver somewhat, so I backed off again.

10 to 12 seconds is far too long.

Di, you cannot adjust two variables at once. It makes it impossible to find out what caused the shot to do what. Was it the grind or was it the dose? Normally I would say dose to the ridge of the basket. This is a guideline. Shoot for this line every time and adjust the grinder accordingly. This method will work fine for most people at home. There are exceptions to this rule though (esprecially when preparing espresso commercially)!

Good luck.

Hi Di,

Those shots are looking pretty good. What size are the glasses? If they are a standard 60 ml or so then Id say you are pushing too much water through the beans.

In the first set of photos Id have been stopping the pull at the 20 second mark. I do like my rlstrettos.

ffND2 is showing signs of blonding (to me, at least).

Greg

Thanks Greg - sorry, I guess its hard to judge size when you dont have a reference point (the measurements wore off the glasses a while ago!) No, they are 2 x 30ml shot glasses but just close ups of them. Im stopping them aroud the 30ml mark or so each time.

The FfND ones I cut at about 25 seconds - I probably should have cut that one a bit shorter, but I was too busy taking photos to really see what was happening.

The FGHD ones I stopped at about 35 seconds, but - as I say - it was around 10 seconds before the coffee started coming through the grouphead after extraction.

Im still not getting the deep rich colour that Mal was getting, but he was using robusta in the first pictures, so maybe that comes out a lot redder, possibly?

I did taste test each shot glass (no sugar, blech, Ill never make being a cupper!) and could taste the different qualities of each ones but it was hard to quantify with my inexperienced pallate. The Finest Grind/Normal Dose one I used as a base to my latte, and it definitely did taste a lot smoother (less sourer?) than the one made in my original pictures that was too fast.

I think Im (almost) all coffeed out for the day. Will probably get one more in (No. 7) and then have to quit before I start seriously twitching... :D

Thanks so much for the tips / feedback from you all (sorry, David, I really do appreciate it since youve almost giving me an internet lesson for free today!)

I will keep on adjusting the grind through the week and see if I cant hit the nail on the head and post some more pics next weekend if I get it right.

Is the spotting (cant think of a better way to describe it) in the third last pic from the water being too hot?

Its a bit blurry to tell, still better than my pics though ;) , and I think its the same problem ive been having.

For those in the know - and assuming boiler pressure is ok - is this fixable by flushing some water right before the shot?

Di, please take this the right way, but I believe Ive seen a great deal of shot glasses before, and Ive never seen those before - they look like a std 60ml glass, possibly 50ml glass at most. find a kitchen measure somewhere and and really confirm what amount you are pouring and marke the side of the glass with a texta in order to get really good advice (not from me mind you, but im sure itll help others if they know exactly what the pour amount is)

As it is I reckon they look good enough to drink for me............ mine are a bit darker, but thats what i thought was a temperature thing.

ps - im with you on the sugar thing - but all in the name of science heh.

Thanks PB - you put the question in my mind, so I just went and put one of the glasses on the digital kitchen scales and poured 30ml of water in it going on the basis that 1ml = 1g and its definitely a 30ml glass and the 30ml mark is about where the coffee finishes (about 30mm below the very top of the glass).

Must be just my trick photography, but I was using the zoom function so that you could see a close up of the crema and colour of the shot.

Sorry, photographys not my forte, even though I did a term of it as a dedicated subject in high school!

Just as an aside, I did my final 7th shot and decided to give it the micrometric adjuster a last couple of turns and pulled a shot: got a completely different taste out of the coffee altogether (not entirely pleasant, but not chronically unpleasant, if you know what I mean) and it went back to the 10-15 second pre-infusion time. Didnt sink it, although I probably should have, but I was all shot-pulling out so ended up drinking it.

Immediately put the grinder back to where it was, so Ive obviously hit the right grind, right dose, even tamp, so now its obviously just down to how hard I tamp and whether its too hard or too soft (I suspect too hard, if anything). Or maybe grind a bit finer and tamp lighter....ah, so many variables, so little coffee tolerance after 6.00pm, damnit!

::)

Quote Originally Posted by 4F687E6C74070 link=1243731515/31#31 date=1243768580
    Thanks PB - you put the question in my mind, so I just went and put one of the glasses on the digital kitchen scales and poured 30ml of water in it going on the basis that 1ml = 1g and its definitely a 30ml glass and the 30ml mark is about where the coffee finishes (about 30mm below the very top of the glass).
    Ummmm, Di--those numbers dont add up--30mm is more than an inch! And about where the coffee finishes--do you mean the black or the whole extraction--including crema? and in which photo?

Remember that caffeine is very bitter, and extracts slower than the coffee flavours, so the longer the extraction, or the larger the extraction the more bitter the flavour.

If the coffee is bitter to you, then extract shorter, or less, or both for a ristretto. Some people like bitter, others dont, and some (mostly males IIRC), cannot taste it.

The colour of the extraction does get darker with higher temperatures, and with darker roasts.

Keep testing--once you find YOUR sweet spot, then all will fall into place.

I measure out 19 grams of beans, and extract less than 30 ml TOTAL for my ristretto. Mark Barun of "The Coffee Barun" has a "special" that is a triple dose, with about a 20 ml extraction total. With good beans its like dark chocolate and fruit and I easily drink it without sugar or milk (my usual is a bit of both).

Greg

Sorry, Greg, got my measurements wrong - meant, as in 1/3 of a cm or so (3mm?). Unfortunately I put about as much effort into, if not less, maths in school than in photography - always been more of a word person than a sums person (I bet you could never guess Im a 100wpm touch typist with a propensity for gabbling on a bit too much at times!) [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

And this was around where the top of the crema finished, give or take, in the last couple of final shots (ie; rounds 2 and 3).

The very last 7th shot definitely tasted a bit on the bitter side, but shot 6 (the finer grind, normal dose) one didnt have any bitterness whatsoever, so I think it was pretty well on the nose for the most part.

Im very susceptible to both bitter and stale which is what keeps me away from most chain coffee houses and my local On Base Cafeteria, unless I have no other choice... :P

I can always tell bitter coffee because I add more sugar to it to mask it, and why - prior to making/grinding/roasting my own - I only used to drink 1/4 strength coffee, although at the time I didnt realise it was because the coffee was bitter but rather that I thought I didnt have any tolerance for strong coffee.

Ahhh, the God shot - still a long way away for me, I suspect, but Im enjoying the path towards it!

Gday Di,

I may have missed it in your posts above but do you use any kind of cooling flush before locking in the PF and pulling the shot?

Mal.

No, not really, Ma unless Im warming up the PF because Ive forgotton to put it in and warm it up before I grindl - possibly I should, do you think?

Apparently one of the advantages of the Maver is that you dont have to do much of a cooling flush and, I have to admit, Ive overlooked this up to now because Ive been concentrating too much on the grinding and tamping. :-[

Ill give it a go and see how that results (in the morning now).

Cheers
    Di

Hi again mate,

Yeah, I think you would need a cooling flush, be it even a small volume as the water moving slowly through the HX tube will be superheated to some extent and it is this water that you need to flush out. Chris has got a really good description of how to get the best out of E-61 Group machines at the top of this category as a Sticky. Well worth reading through..... 8-) As is this info from the Home Barista website... http://www.home-barista.com/hx-love.html

Mal.

Thanks Mal - gave it a try this morning and it does make a difference: the coffee doesnt taste as burnt. *It wasnt an overwhelming flavour previously, but the two coffees Ive had so far this morning with a cooling flush are definitely a lot smoother on my pallate, thanks for reminding me of it!

Im at home from work with Emily (8 year old) who has a bad cold at the moment - no curly tails evident! - so Ill have plenty of opportunity to experiment today.

Probably the worst thing is Ill be refilling the 1.7l tank every couple of hours and, where Ive got the Maver is against the wall underneath some overhead cupboards so its a bit of a pain pulling it out so I can remove the tank to refill. *Once Chris 3 month Warranty is up, I might have to get Pete to modify it to make a hinged side opening so I can remove the hoses and slide it out sideways (if thats possible!)

Hey, BTW, the rumour at the moment that we might be moving up to Ipswich early next year, so I might get a chance to catch up with all my Gods Country friends (ay... * have to get back into the swing of it after being away for 10 years! :D )

Quote Originally Posted by 03243220384B0 link=1243731515/37#37 date=1243895890
    Hey, BTW, the rumour at the moment that we might be moving up to Ipswich early next year, so I might get a chance to catch up with all my Gods Country friends (ay... have to get back into the swing of it after being away for 10 years!
    Dont forget to visit Ipswich City Council the Mayor has one of the worlds largest collections of demitasse cups
    And they are on display
    KK

Quote Originally Posted by 604751435B280 link=1243731515/37#37 date=1243895890
    Hey, BTW, the rumour at the moment that we might be moving up to Ipswich early next year, so I might get a chance to catch up with all my Gods Country friends (ay... * have to get back into the swing of it after being away for 10 years! :D )
    Based at Amberley Di?

Mal.

Yep, Mal - at this stage, anyway...the great grey beast has been known to change its mind at a whim, however its looking pretty good at the moment...ay. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 5F786E7C64170 link=1243731515/37#37 date=1243895890
    Probably the worst thing is Ill be refilling the 1.7l tank every couple of hours and, where Ive got the Maver is against the wall underneath some overhead cupboards so its a bit of a pain pulling it out so I can remove the tank to refill.
    My Expobar is in the same position Di.
    I cant get the tank out either, but I just use a kitchen funnel and pour into that from my Brita jug.
    Its still a bit tight but works.

I dont know how yours is designed but why do you have to take the tank out to fill it?

Quote Originally Posted by 7549544F454453464E45210 link=1243731515/41#41 date=1243939316
    I dont know how yours is designed but why do you have to take the tank out to fill it? *
    Yes. Cant you just fill it from the top? I think you just have to remove the top plate, right?

You can just take off the warming tray but its only got about a 4cm diametre hole to fill into which still means that I either have to have the jug very low with the water level in order not to tip it all over the machine from the front (not to mention I cant really see it that well), or I still have to move the machine away from the wall on an angle so I can get in from the back - theres probably only about 10cm gap between the top of the machine to the bottom of the cupboards, so not really enough clearance for much at all.

I really dont see it as a design fault really, just more of an inconvenience with where I have placed the machine. If I wanted to, I could move the machine to the island bench but it all just fits so nicely (well, apart from the lack of clearance above) in the area that it is with the grinder, knockbox and canisters and its also in a bit safer area where it cant be touched by little 3 year old fingers.

Actually, thinking about it, Id probably be better off getting Pete to build me a *plate to go underneath it so I can slide it more, because at the moment I have to lift it off its feet to move it and its a heavy little bugger! *Hmmm, more things for Pete to build me!!! *I put in an order today for a custom made plate to fit underneath the grinder, so hes not going to be particularly enamoured with me at the moment...

Best thing he did was become a metalworker/welder (well, for me, anyway!) and gain enough of an interest in it to buy the bits to be able to do homework at home! *:)

My Bezzera has a hinged lid on top

I use a clear hose connected (pushed in) to the Filtered water tap to fill up the tank

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 153224362E5D0 link=1243731515/43#43 date=1243946677
    theres probably only about 10cm gap between the top of the machine to the bottom of the cupboards, so not really enough clearance for much at all.
    If it was me Id be looking at a funnel with some tubing added so it reaches.
    As far as being able to see, that could be a deal breaker; I wouldnt want to overfill it and spill water out of the tank.
    One thing Ive done to help with seeing the water level is dropping a bright orange table tennis ball into the tank.
    It stands out better than clear water in a white tank.

Excellent, thanks TG - you might have just made me think of the perfect solution. Weve got a clear 1 foot hose witih a funnel at the end that was bought and is used for cleaning out the fish tank from the pet shop.

I wont use that one, of course, but I could get a new one of those from the pet shop and use it for my machine. I think it only cost between $5-$10, so a not very expensive solution!

Youre not just a pretty face!

You could also try a rubber hand shower hose which has a fitting designed to be stuck onto a tap. Remove the shower end, of course.

You can also buy plastic hosing (cut to length) and a funnel at a hardware shop.

Consider also a small clip-on lamp to give you better vision while filling.