Thread: Machine Comparison - Wega Mininova vs. Vibiemme Domobar Electronica

Machine Comparison - Wega Mininova vs. Vibiemme Domobar Electronica

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Looking at a high quality machine for personal use. Will be required to:

-Make excellent coffee (obviously) and be able to steam good milk simultaneously
    -volumetric
    -make a few coffees from time to time (60+ an hour).

Was tossing up between:
    - vibiemme domobar electronica ($3.5K) - sexy machine.
    - wega mininova ($2.7K) - am attracted to this as well as it has a hot water output.

Does anyone have any input on these or suggestions on similar/better machines at about these price points? (these are the cheapest prices I could find for these machines, if you can tell me where I could get them cheaper I would appreciate that!).

Cheers,
    Tony.

A_M

Re: Machine Comparison - Wega Mininova vs. Vibiemme Domobar Electronica

Quote Originally Posted by 5A554F5354554253545F485F54553B0 link=1244014509/0#0 date=1244014509
    Hi,

Looking at a high quality machine for personal use. Will be required to:

-Make excellent coffee (obviously) and be able to steam good milk simultaneously
    -volumetric

Was tossing up between:
    - wega mininova ($2.7K) - am attracted to this as well as it has a hot water output.

Does anyone have any input on these or suggestions on similar/better machines at about these price points? (these are the cheapest prices I could find for these machines, if you can tell me where I could get them cheaper I would appreciate that!).

Cheers,
    Tony.

See highlight above... AND machine for personal use :o at 60 an hour... that streaches the personal/home use...

But I am sure there are a few two group machines at teh lower end that could manage it...

So what grinder ya using ???? Delonghi ;D :D

The wega website say the mininova can do 70 cups per hour.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2728322E29283F2E292235222928460 link=1244014509/2#2 date=1244020790
    The machine might be rated at that... but it will be extraplated from a short run :-)

That works out at 0.51 sec a coffee run :D ;D :) :o At 30Sec for a pour... You have 21 seconds to do a lot of cleaning/filling/tamping etc etc

Now I would also suggest that you will need to realy push your Delonghi blade grinder to keep up... and have some one else filling teh tank for you... and some one else pouring the milk...

I still say 60+ an hr is pushing most home/personal units... Oh... So who is teh barista ??? that is going to be doing this ?

No using a double basket you are able to get 2 shots per extraction. Meaning you have over a minute per extraction to do all the other things. Still quite a slug (for a home machine) but considering the wega estimate would be for shots only (no milk). So:

51*2 (to accommodate for 2 shots per extraction)
    = 102 seconds for extraction

102 - 30 seconds for the extraction
    =72 seconds

The limiting factor would be the machines recovery time. At a recovery time of over a minute per double it really isnt that impressive. However If milk is steamed you would have next to no chance of getting that amount out.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 717E64787F7E69787F7463747F7E100 link=1244014509/2#2 date=1244020790
    I looked but couldnt find any information on how many cups the OP can do in an hour *::)

Very silly thread. Any good HX machine will cope with a group of 50. What did you have in mind? *:-?

I couldnt agree more. The thread asks for opinions on the vibiemme electronica vs the wega mininova. I dont know how this discussion of cups started. Is the vibiemme worth the extra cash? Any other recommendations around those price points considering my prerequisites stated earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by 78776D7176776071767D6A7D7677190 link=1244014509/6#6 date=1244038162
    I couldnt agree more. The thread asks for opinions on the vibiemme electronica vs the wega mininova. I dont know how this discussion of cups started. Is the vibiemme worth the extra cash? Any other recommendations around those price points considering my prerequisites stated earlier?

You did say in your original post that you wanted to do 60+ per hour. I think the people that took the time to reply were just replying making sure that you realised that your expectations of these machines was too high. Sure they didnt answer all your questions but they certainly didnt pull their responses out of thin air. I have an HX machine and I reckon the fasted I could do two milk drinks is 3 min by the time I have cleaned up between shots etc. Perhaps a second person could be knocking the portafilter for me but its gonna get mighty crowded on a small machine.

Justin

TC

ahoddo,

CSers were questioning your ability to produce 60 cups/hour....

The VBM will be better suited due to commercial pressurestat and larger boiler and element. That said, I very much doubt that any operator will manage 60/hour on a 1 group machine.

For mine, you have provided a 2 group commercial machine brief with a one group price expectation. Something has to give :-?

2mcm

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 555A405C5B5A4D5C5B5047505B5A340 link=1244014509/0#0 date=1244014509
    -volumetric

Was tossing up between:

This is where is hard to make the comparison. In one hand I agree with 2mcm due to the VBM has commercial pressure switch, 2.7 Lt boiler and 1800w element . However, if you are going to use this machine for a domestic environment the Wega has 2lt boiler and 1200w element, where recuperation time will be slower but will be manageable. Remember you lose more steam pressure if you use the hot water

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

If I remember correctly the Mininova has 2 HXs the second is for fresh hot water supply at the correct temp, rather than stale boiler water hot enough to crack your cup, Im happy to be corrected on this as Im just going by memory.

Thanks for the responses guys,

I wasnt having a dig with the comment about cups. In writing 60+ cups/hour I was going off the wega website which said 70 cups per hour, which I assume is a hypothetical just considering coffee shots. I would be doing it on the very rare occasion and with someone else helping.

Overall it is unimportant as what I really care about is performance of these two machines, and if there are any other volumetric machines of a similar price range that compare.

Thanks,
    Tony.

Gday Tony,
    it sounds like youre considering these two machines for your coffee cart venture, as per your posts in another thread.

If you only want to use a machine at home, either a plumbed or tank model would suffice (depends on preference and a few other factors).

If you want a machine to use in a cart, youll have to use a plumbed in machine, and have a pump connected to a big water container to simulate mains water pressure.

A non-plumbed machine would be a royal PITA in a cart/commercial situation as you would have to keep filling the tank (risking it shutting down mid shot, if you forget to refill the tank).

The plumbed in option is availabe on both of these machines, but I suspect that it may be an extra cost over the prices you have quoted.

I dont have any experience with either machine, but they should offer good performance, depending on what you want to do with them of course. Youll have trouble keeping up with the machine, no matter what the cups/hour rating is *;).

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 76554C5F433A0 link=1244014509/12#12 date=1244093218
    ...The plumbed in option is availabe on both of these machines, but I suspect that it may be an extra cost over the prices you have quoted.
    FWIW, I wouldnt bother buying a plumbed vibe pump machine- which the VBM is.

If its being used in commercial applications, youd be crazy not to go rotary, plumbed.

2mcm

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 4E415B4740415647404B5C4B40412F0 link=1244014509/11#11 date=1244089847
    Overall it is unimportant as what I really care about is performance of these two machines, and if there are any other volumetric machines of a similar price range that compare.

Tony;

They are many machines under 3.5K volumetric from other reputable brands: Beside VBM and Wega

Bezzera 35 MG (plum-in) rotating pump
    Bezzera 40 MG (Plum-in) rotating pump
    Bezzera 07 DE (tank) vibrating pump
    Bezzera 99 DE (Tank and plum-in) vibrating pump
    Diadema Junior Electronica ( Tank and plum in) [quote
    Expobar Office FA
    Iberital LAnna

and the list is long.

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Tony,
    I have never used one of these, but would the Iberital Handy (LAnna) be an option for you? The specs sound about right ....10 amp, internal rotary pump, 4 litre boiler, 1800watts, 2.75 litre internal tank, (option to plumb in ???) and around $3k.

Looks like a pretty sweet machine, does anyone have any experience with the Handy or can you give me a link to a decent review?

why would VBM use a vib pump in the plumbed version?