Thread: Leaking Giotto steam arm

Leaking Giotto steam arm

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    The steam arm on my Giotto has sprung a leak. Where the actual arm joins the main steam unit, it seems to have come loose and theres no way of tightening it because you cant screw it back in (the machine gets in the way). It seems that rather than turn the main outlet fitting, when you move the arm, it unscrews the arm.
    This has worked loose to the point that theres now a tricket of water when the steamer is turned on.
    Ive attached a pic, and the red line marks the area where its coming loose.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

TC

Re: Leaking Giotto steam arm

Quote Originally Posted by 555F5247445B5A4756330 link=1244440147/0#0 date=1244440147
    The steam arm on my Giotto has sprung a leak. Where the actual arm joins the main steam unit, it seems to have come loose and theres no way of tightening it because you cant screw it back in (the machine gets in the way). It seems that rather than turn the main outlet fitting, when you move the arm, it unscrews the arm.
    This has worked loose to the point that theres now a tricket of water when the steamer is turned on.
    Ive attached a pic, and the red line marks the area where its coming loose.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Just grab a spanner and remove the wand from the valve stem.

You can then use that spanner to tighten the wand body to the ball joint.

2mcm

Thanks for that. Sorted.

My glee was a bit premature as the arm has come loose again. It looks like Ill have to take it in for repairs. A bit disappointing, but the repairer said if its just a failure of the seals, its not covered by warranty (machine was bought in November!!). ECA service guy - very helpful - suggested that Giottos should have annual preventative services (I dont see that in the maunaul), so buyers should budget an extra $150 a year for servicing.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 39333E2B2837362B3A5F0 link=1244440147/3#3 date=1245889710
    My glee was a bit premature as the arm has come loose again. It looks like Ill have to take it in for repairs. A bit disappointing, but the repairer said if its just a failure of the seals, its not covered by warranty (machine was bought in November!!). ECA service guy - very helpful - suggested that Giottos should have annual preventative services (I dont see that in the maunaul), so buyers should budget an extra $150 a year for servicing.
    Hello FW,

Just repair it and use a little locktite if you want to. I have never had one come loose after tightening it.

All machines should receive a yearly check- which often is no more than a group seal and shower screen change. This is for unmaintained machines on tap water: most CSers maintain their machines rather than abusing them. I think $150 is a VERY generous allocation.

2mcm

Took the machine into Espresso Breakdown, Giottos Brisbane repairer, and found them to be great. Its more than an hours drive each way, so when it comes time for the annual service, theyll be picking it up and dropping it back ($30 delivery fee, but probably worth it).
    And the arm is back where it should be - with some locktite to boot.

erm locktite on a steam arm?!!!

a) not foodsafe
    b) shouldnt you be replacing seal 7?
    c) often soluble in boiling water/steam.

now the galatea (which I have) is different to the GPP, I understand this, however, around the ball joint it has specially heat treated rubber seals. shouldnt you be using that instead? additionally, has your repairer used a loctite threadlocker or straight superglue? might be worth checking the product data sheet on their website for the one used on your steam arm, which is meant to be a removable product!

J

ps. its late, i may just be crazy.

There is a special sealing product called
    Safe T Lock its Teflon based
    A friend that worked on aeroplanes used it

I personally think a little plumbers thread tape would do the same job

KK

Update: the repair lasted almost a month. The arm has worked its way loose again! Grrrr!

Thought about replacing seal 7? ;)

Apparently, the tech changed all the seals at the time of repair. His view is that the whole assembly needs to be replaced. Luckily, its still under warranty...

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 3D373A2F2C33322F3E5B0 link=1244440147/10#10 date=1249531301
    Apparently, the tech changed all the seals at the time of repair. His view is that the whole assembly needs to be replaced. Luckily, its still under warranty...
    FW... Did you reverse over some one in a car park ? Or break a mirror ??

Lets hope you get it all sorted...

AM, the person meant to be waiting for me in the car park wasnt there. He did, however, show up at the studio a little later!
    Sorry folks, a bit of an "in" joke.
    Nothing mysterious about this - as the owner of Rocket told me on a separate matter - these machines are all hand-made. Just my luck that mine was hand-made just before knock-off time on Friday afternoon before Juventas was playing in the local final!

Update: Giotto went back to vendor for repairs under warranty. Steam arm was replaced and at the same time, I got the machine descaled and serviced (a bit prematurely but I thought it made sense to do it while it was on the bench) at my own expense.
    A painful two weeks to the day without coffee, but she seems right as rain (whatever that is) now.
    However, I seem to have forgotten my technique in her absence...