Thread: oscar nuova simonelli vs zaffiro

oscar nuova simonelli vs zaffiro

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

just need a bit of help in choosing a new machine , my budget is $2000, i was thinking about oscar nuova simonelli or the zaffiro . i read few rewiuv and im just confused. can someone help me with that?
    thank you

Re: oscar nuova simonelli vs zaffiro

Welcome tello

The Oscar and Zaffiro are two different kinds of machines. The Oscar is a heat exchanger and will allow you to steam milk while the espresso shot is pouring.

The Zaffiro is similar to the Rancilio Sylvia, VBM Piccolo or Diadema Perfetta in that it is a single boiler dual purpose machine and you need to steam the milk after the shot has been prepared.
    There are aesthetic considerations. The Oscar is plastic while the Zaffiro and its like are stainless steel.

Choice of machine also depends on what kind of coffee beverage you prefer and how many you are likely to make at a time or per day.

The best thing to do is contact a CoffeeSnob sponsor (check list on the left) and have a look at the range. Very few sponsors sell the Oscar so it will be hard to do a side by side comparison but they will be able to advise. Have you got a good grinder?

thanks for that advice . i will need a good grinder as well, i think i would go for the nuova simonelli if they offer me a good deal, i like the idea of hx machine.

I have the oscar and grinta grinder. I love them both but have nothing to benchmark them against as i had gone from a $100 sunbeam which admittedly served me well. No complaints with the oscar and only complaint with the grinta is that it is a very clumpy grinder which I believe is a flaw in the design. I over come this by grinding the beans into a small container and just giving it a bit of a shake to get the clumps out. It also makes the whole process a lot less messy doing it this way and a lot less wasteful. Without doing it that way the grinta makes a bit of a mess of the bench as the clumps tend to full out of the portafilter onto the bench when it approaches full.

Its not quite as easy as "get the HX cos it can steam and pour at the same time". As mentioned, the Oscar is not as readily available as other brands so think of servicing. It is about $1K cheaper than most other HXs; this isnt jsut due to toe plastic construction. It doesnt have a hot water tap and doesnt have a vacuum breaker.

Check this thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1241411382/14#14

I havent actually used one but I have seen the Oscar in action and tasted coffee made from one. I think it is an excellent value for money machine and you would have enough change for a good grinder. But I would still check other options for your $2K.

So I again recommend taking the time to get further advice before jumping in.

Quote Originally Posted by 78726770707F6B6D1E0 link=1245215166/4#4 date=1245222376
    Its not quite as easy as "get the HX cos it can steam and pour at the same time". As mentioned, the Oscar is not as readily available as other brands so think of servicing. It is about $1K cheaper than most other HXs; this isnt jsut due to toe plastic construction. It doesnt have a hot water tap and doesnt have a vacuum breaker
    I know im an oscar owner so will look for all the pros possible but after buying the machine, im glad it doesnt have the hot water spout. As it is I seem to spend my days filling up the 2.3l water tank. For me I have two choices when it comes to hot water.

1) boil the kettle
    2) put cold filtered water in a jug and steam it. I have hot water in 20 seconds. Probably less time than it takes to fill up the water in the tank.

The anti vaccum valve is the only real problem. it means that I cant run the machine on a timer in the morning because I have to open the steam valve until it heats up. I can live with that. The machine is really quite efficient so leaving it on over night doesnt concern me but the reality is that I just get a coffee in the morning when I get to work. To give you an idea of the efficiency of the machine, the heating element is on 10sec every 2 minutes. Thats 2 hours every 24 hours it is on at 1400w equales 2800w a day if left on all the time. I think it is about 14c per 1000w for me so 40c a day or $140 a year. Not much really. I dont leave the machine on anyway.

Justin

Site Sponsor

Hi Tello,

Why not add a Bezzera BZ99 to your shortlist? Under $2K, HX, built to last, anti vac valve, hot water tap ... something to consider.

Happy hunting,

charlie

Oh Im not disparaging the NSO Justin. As I said, its great value for money. I was just advising tello to investigate other options before committing to the Oscar just because it is a cheap HX. I would agree with Charlies suggestion as a good alternative. Or the Expobar Office.

As I dont make long blacks, I rarely use the hot water tap on my GPP or my previous machine Im still undecided on the relative merits of leaving the machine on or off while not in use.

Never thought of steaming the water to heat it quickly. Good idea.

No need to worry flynn. *I didnt think you were knocking the oscar and the fact is that the points you brought up are very important to a lot of people and it would be terrible if Tello found out about these things after buying one. *I think the biggest drawback as mentioned is the lack of anti-vac valve. *I doubt I would ever use the machine on the timer so it doesnt affect me so much(contaminated boiler problems aside). *I know a lot of people need their coffee before they can leave the house in the morning. *Im not one of those people so I can overlook that fact. *If I was that bad I would use a plunger at work if there were no other alternatives.

P.S. Could anyone give any idea what it would cost to have a valve fitted. I know the part is about $20.