Thread: Yet another machine advice thread...

Yet another machine advice thread...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

The time has come to get myself a better coffee machine and Im wondering if Im being sensible jumping to the higher end first up? Ive been playing with a little $99 Sunbeam Ristretto and can actually get a drinkable cup out of it but now have the cash and the urge to splurge $2k or so on a new machine.

My wife thinks Im crazy as I only make a couple of lattes a day and we have maybe a half dozen dinner parties in a year. But then shes not a cofeee drinker.

I guess the question is: is it sensible to jump in at the deep end, or should I go for training wheels and something like a Sunbeam 6910 for a year or two first?

Also is $2-2.5k including a grinder a realistic budget? The closer to 2k the better if I want to stay married...

Cheers
    Jeff K

TC

Re: Yet another machine advice thread...

Quote Originally Posted by 5F5053535E350 link=1245736190/0#0 date=1245736190
    Hi All,

The time has come to get myself a better coffee machine and Im wondering if Im being sensible jumping to the higher end first up? *Ive been playing with a little $99 Sunbeam Ristretto and can actually get a drinkable cup out of it but now have the cash and the urge to splurge $2k or so on a new machine.

My wife thinks Im crazy as I only make a couple of lattes a day and we have maybe a half dozen dinner parties in a year. But then shes not a cofeee drinker.

I guess the question is: is it sensible to jump in at the deep end, or should I go for training wheels and something like a Sunbeam 6910 for a year or two first?

Also is $2-2.5k including a grinder a realistic budget? The closer to 2k the better if I want to stay married...

Cheers
    Jeff K
    Hi Jeff and welcome,

My advice is do it once and do it right!

Every time you upgrade, you blow your dough......

Im happy to assist in any way I can...

Chris

Wise words indeed

If you are already a CoffeeSnob, then upgrading only once will be good advice.

For $2k you can do well. Id be allocating at least $500 for a grinder and $1500 gives you access to the best of the single boiler/dual purpose machines, or possibly a used HX.

The single boiler (go for an E-61) has the advantage of price while giving great coffee, the HX will give steamed milk faster but cost you more.

Enjoy the trip, there is lots of great information here and a search will keep you reading for a while.

Greg

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 505F5C5C513A0 link=1245736190/0#0 date=1245736190
    Hi Jeff,

If you can stretch to the upper end of that budget and get straight into a HX, youll be less likely to have to upgrade down the track. Although you can get great coffee from a single boiler machine, the problem is that this can drive up the household demand for those delicious lattes - which means your single boiler may soon become a bit of a bottle neck.

Always happy to help if you need it,

charlie

yeah id second charlies advice.
    go for a HX / dual boiler as a first option, and your machine will be less likely to hold you back...

aaron

TC

Hi Jeff and welcome....

I agree with the others that you are best to buy what you want once rather than upgrade many times...

One possibility (of many) would be something like a Bezzera BZ07 and a Compak K3T which will leave you with change...

Im happy to show you over a few machines and shouldnt be too far away as were in Melbourne too.

Drop me a line if we can assist.

Chris

...and Ill add to this. as someone who has owned 4 machines in just over 12 months, I also highly recommend not purchasing a machine that might end up not meeting your requirements down the track.

Upgraditis is an costly malady. Aim high. Judging from some of the EOFY specials at present you can get a package that comes pretty close to your upper limit.

TC

Agreed....FWIW, my upgraditis story ::)

Rancilio Audrey- gone
    Rancilio Silvia- gone
    ECM Giotto (and then another Silvia as well)- both gone
    ECM Veneziano S1- still have it and love it
    Faema e-61 2 group
    Rocket Espresso Giotto Pro (might displace the Veneziano :-?)

and lastly- soon...Paddle group LaMarzocco GS/3 (might displace the Veneziano :-?)

Grinders...
    Mutliple- Briel, Lux, Rocky, Mazzer minis (all types), ECM KS x 2 or 3 , Macap M4D x 2 (all gone) and now a K10...who knows how many I have forgotten...

Upgraditis IS expensive and contagious!

Quote Originally Posted by 0F50485E555E525B5B5858505C533D0 link=1245736190/8#8 date=1245754304
    Rocket Espresso Giotto Pro (might displace the Veneziano)

and lastly- soon...Paddle group LaMarzocco GS/3 (might displace the Veneziano)
    So with two contenders in the "What tops my Veneziano" stakes, does that mean the S1 may appear on CS with the initials FS in front?

We wish.

Flynn (in no position to even dream of such a purchase)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 505A4F5858574345360 link=1245736190/9#9 date=1245754684
    So with two contenders in the "What tops *my Veneziano" stakes, does that mean the S1 may appear on CS with the initials FS in front?

We wish.

Flynn (in no position to even dream of such a purchase)
    Not likely Flynn....I dont think I could ever part with it (or it would want to be one hell of an offer). It has ECM and Peter Caris sentimental value.

FWIW- one of just a few in Australia sold last week here...for almost brand new retail price. They hold their value and will appreciate. A lucky CSer will be joining the S1 team....We await pix...

So what makes the GPro+ so special? I thought it is a plumbed-in GPP with an extra gauge.

Ill agree with the above - I had my 6910/0480 training wheels for only 8 months and upgraded to a refurbished pre-loved HX machine.

Fortunately I didnt really lose any money for my 6910 training wheels but, honestly, using the HX is a lot better quality and it really is no harder than learning on the 6910.

Factor into your money a good tamper, a milk jug & thermometer also - only around $150.00 of the $2,000 but they are things that I consider essential. Most espresso machines only come with a plastic tamper, which are hopeless and wont do any machine justice.

So, basically, if you can afford it now then go ahead and get a good quality new or second hand machine and grinder - it will save you effort and possibly money in 6-12 months time anyway!

Finally, I would recommend that, if you are willing to go for a pre-loved one, that you buy one from someone here - not EvilBay - because people on the site tend to look after their machines because they know how to.

If going for a new one, Id definitely recommend any of the sponsors on the site. Chris from Talk Coffee , Dennis from CuppaCoffee and Attilio from CosmoreX all have my very biased personal favourite vote, but all of the sponsors will look after you regardless and all have a very good reputation.

Cheers
    Di

Ok am I the only one that went in at the top end of the machine heap and never looked back

What else can I say
    Ive had a perma-smile since day one
    KK

Thanks for the replies...

Do it once, do it right is always the right argument to use with my wife.

Its going to be an interesting couple of weeks while I wait for the cash to arrive. Ive been a lurker in the forums for the lower cost machines for quite a while now but here in the Pointy End its a bit of a learning curve. Lots of stuff I really dont understand - yet.

I think Ive got the idea of the E-61 and as I think about it, I am leaning towards a HX rather than a boiler. I guess thatll probably put me in the market for a pre-loved machine but Ill see what I can stretch the budget to.

Im sure Ill be in touch with Chris and other sponsors as soon as the cash arrives in my bank account.

Meanwhile, is there anything else I should be looking for or considering in a machine in this price range?

Cheers
    Jeff K

Hey Jeff

Check out the sponsors page
    We regularly get special Coffee Snobs offers

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?board=Sponsors

KK

I know a grinder is incredibly important to a good shot but Im wondering if I could get away with a Sunbeam EM480 for a couple of months? A friend offered to loan me one if it would free up my cash for a better machine...

Quote Originally Posted by 46494A4A472C0 link=1245736190/16#16 date=1245881562
    Im wondering if I could get away with a Sunbeam EM480

Yes - it would, but as has been stated before, in general:

good grinder + budget coffee machine > budget coffee grinder + good machine

Caffeine Junky

Hi Jeff,

One more vote here to go higher end now. I bought Hoyks 8 month old EM6910/EM0480 which Ive been happy with but in hindsight, would probably have spent more. Like most on here, Im already starting to plan an upgrade.

I guess I already knew that answer to that one but at worst the grinder would be upgraded as soon as I get my next tax refund and the EM480 wont cost me anything while I wait.

What Im counting on is my wifes ability to completely disregard any budget in the face of a perceived bargain and a good sales pitch. But just in case, Ill think of the EM480 as plan B in case I decide on a machine thats over budget and the wife wont budge. ;)

So long as the 0480 is costing you nothing now its a good stopgap measure which allows you to spend your money on a better grinder in the long run, rather than wasting money on a cheap grinder now when you will eventually upgrade anyway.

What cost mediocre coffee.... ::) :P

Mal.

The cash is in my account. ;D Now for the fun bit - time to get serious about choosing a machine.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 616E6D6D600B0 link=1245736190/22#22 date=1246355154
    The cash is in my account. * ;D Now for the fun bit - time to get serious about choosing a machine.
    Let the fun begin Jeff!

Enjoy the shopping 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 2D2221212C470 link=1245736190/0#0 date=1245736190
    My wife thinks Im crazy as I only make a couple of lattes a day and we have maybe a half dozen dinner parties in a year.
    its not the quantity but quality that matters. Thats what I said to my wife and what I really think. ;)

Im not sure I have the palette (yet) to tell the difference between an ok coffee and a great one. Luckily I have a wife who believes you should always buy the best you can afford.

My biggest decision is whether Im getting carried away and spending more than I need by looking at dual boiler/HX machines.

Im the only person in the house who drinks coffee so a single boiler would be fine for me.... but then the first time I had to make coffee for more than a couple of people Id get annoyed that I didnt have something better / more able to cope with a group.

And then I wonder if its worth the extra money for something that only happens two or three times in a year? But then... <sigh>

Im off to see Chris at Talk Coffee on Friday so Im hoping Ill see the machines in question and glean enough advice to stop thinking in circles ... :-/

Quote Originally Posted by 626D6E6E63080 link=1245736190/25#25 date=1246488152
    My biggest decision is whether Im getting carried away and spending more than I need by looking at dual boiler/HX machines. *
    You wont regret it (buying a HX)
    Just pick a machine that suits you
    Has good build quality
    No inherent part failure issues

And get a suitable grinder

Quote Originally Posted by 626D6E6E63080 link=1245736190/25#25 date=1246488152
    Im not sure I have the palette (yet) to tell the difference between an ok coffee and a great one.
    You will quickly find out what you like and dislike
    Pleasing your own taste buds is all that matters *;)

KK

After mach research and thinking, the decisions been made!

Thanks to Chris at Talk Coffee, Im now the proud owner of a Rocket Giotto Premium Plus and a Compak grinder. ;D

Now Ive just got to make some space in the kitchen. Itll be damn hard having to wait until the morning to set it all up.

Then Ive just got to figure out how to use it...

Quote Originally Posted by 6C6360606D060 link=1245736190/27#27 date=1246613237
    After mach research and thinking, the decisions been made!
    Congratulations and excellent decision. You wont regret it.

Consider booking yourself into a home barista course as well.

A home barista course is definitely on the cards once my wallet recovers from todays little exercise. I think I left Chriss warehouse with a whole $40 left in the bank. ::) Im sure itll be worth every cent though!

Now Im back to testing my negotiating skills. My wife wants to hide the new beastie in a cupboard, while I want it to take pride of place on the kitchen bench.

The cupboard is probably the best place in the kitchen to set it up but I want it on display... <sigh> Dont think Im going to win this one...

Put it in the cupboard--and take the door off! :D

Greg

First thing I though of but the love of my life thinks the kitchen will look more tidy if she can close the door and hide it away.

Maybe in a week or two the door will be mysteriously stolen through the night by theives who only take cupboard doors *;)

Just make sure you dont have to report it to the police!

Greg
    Tell her its kitchen jewellery and should be displayed.
    Or that the steam will warp the other cupboards.
    Come on--be creative!

Quote Originally Posted by 232C2F2F22490 link=1245736190/29#29 date=1246618548
    A home barista course is definitely on the cards once my wallet recovers from todays little exercise. I think I left Chriss warehouse with a whole $40 left in the bank. * ::) *Im sure itll be worth every cent though!

Now Im back to testing my negotiating skills. My wife wants to hide the new beastie in a cupboard, while I want it to take pride of place on the kitchen bench.
    The cupboard is probably the best place in the kitchen to set it up but I want it on display... <sigh> Dont think Im going to win this one...
    Jeff, you cant put shiny new treasures like these in a cupboard they deserve to take pride of place on a bench top, put the toasters etc in the cupboard......enjoy your new gear and may all your espressos be great ones!! ::) ::)

Quote Originally Posted by 0906050508630 link=1245736190/0#0 date=1245736190
    Quote Originally Posted by 7E7172727F140 link=1245736190/27#27 date=1246613237
    Im now the proud owner of a Rocket Giotto Premium Plus and a Compak grinder. *
    Uhm... May I assume you upped your budget a bit?

You can assume my wife upped the budget a bit :-)

The GPP was a demo unit at a good price and my wife, fearing endless weeks of me talking non-stop about getting a better grinder, chose the compak to go with it.

Can you put the machine / grinder in pride of place in the kitchen and the wife in the cupboard?

The GPP is (from what pics I have seen, never seen 1 in the flesh) a piece of great coffee machine porn, deserving to show off.

Enjoy your journey

You can always put the wife in the cupboard, its getting her to stay in there thats the hard part. ;D