Thread: Chasing the god Shot

Chasing the god Shot

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys. *Ive had a quick search on the forums for an answer but to be honest Ive always found it hard to find old topics on forums.

Anyway Im convinced that my brew temps are a little low on my Nuova Simonelli Oscar. *My shots always taste quite sour. *It hasnt been too much of a problem because by the time that I add milk you cant tell the difference. *I believe though that in a journey to improve my coffee the only way that I can do that would be to get a taste for espresso as it is at that stage that you can notice the difference. *

I was making coffee the other day for the wife and I had already had one so I decided to put one of my espresso cups under the other side. *It turned out that I overdosed and the pour was really slow. *To get the volume and knowing that a long pour wont affect the coffee much as I was going to put milk in it anyway I ran the shot for probably 35-40seconds. *I had a taste of the shot in the espresso cup and to my delight the flavor had moved back in my mouth. *Had the machine brew temp been correct it would have been bitter but it wasnt so correct me if Im wrong but shouldnt I be adjusting the temp?

Can someone please guide me to adjusting the temp.

JB

Re: Chasing the god Shot

Hi JB
    the way I approach it is either by:
    * raising the water level in the boiler (find the probe on the top of the boiler- should have a wire attached to it- just lift a little BUT mark where it went into the tank first!)
    * adjusting the pressurestat a little higher- what is the boiler pressure running at now?

If you havent done these things, Id be getting some support in your area unless you feel comfortable doing it
    Regards
    Brett

Theres no pressure gauge on the boiler. Raising the water level would affect the steam a bit wouldnt it?

Thanks for your advice. I do want someone local to calibrate the machine. I will wait a few months until I want to get the thing serviced though.

JB

You raise the probe a little bit at a time. When the steam gets too wet (after the purging of that little bit of water that we all have to do) you know youve gone too far. Just be careful not to pull it right out- theres usually a little bit of resistance so I brace my hand against something.
    Brett
    A service might be a good idea- but make sure you tell the service agent exactly what you want to achieve- my experience is that with domestic machines its a case of either its working or not with services.