Thread: Should I upgrade from a Silvia/SD3C?

Should I upgrade from a Silvia/SD3C?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Thanks to this site I purchased a Silvia/Rocky 5 years ago and improved it with Watlow SD3C with steam control a couple of years back.

On the verge of renovating the house so the thought of upgrading the coffee machine sounds like a good idea. New house new machine. My question is, if i sell my current set up for $800-$900 do I get a extremely better coffee for an extra $1500-$2,000 if I buy a Giotto, VBM, Diadema etc.?

Caffeine Junky

Re: Should I upgrade from a Silvia/SD3C?

I suspect, like most things in life, there is a law of diminishing returns when it comes to espresso machines. Im only a novice but from what I read the typical Coffee Snob will spend a lot more to get an end result that is a little better.

There are other advantages of course such as capacity to make multiple coffees without having to wait.

The same can be said of most passions that people can have. Stereos, computers, food, furniture (can a $10k dining table hold up your wine glass that much better than a $100 table?), your house, cars and bikes etc.

/edit why is it that I have such expensive tastes in 6 ( I dont even own a dining table) of the above ?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 474245454A4E452B0 link=1247052321/2#2 date=1247059330
    The same can be said of most passions that people can have. Stereos, computers, food, furniture (can a $10k dining table hold up your wine glass that much better than a $100 table?), your house, cars and bikes etc.

/edit why is it that I have such expensive tastes in 6 ( I dont even own a dining table) *of the above ?
    Thus I stooped at the third wife.... I figure...

1: I can not do any better

2: She wont let me

3: Cost efficiencies...

Looking is free ;D Just like looking at great coffee machines.... ;D

Thus I stooped at the third wife
    Freudian slip AM [smiley=lolk.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by 3F202A3B2628242C3B490 link=1247052321/4#4 date=1247086338
    Thus I stooped at the third wife
    Freudian slip AM *[smiley=lolk.gif]
    Would stooping to the other two have made a difference? :-?

brett230873

I upgraded my non-pid Silvia to a HX and have an improvment in consistency as opposed to quality. If you are making Dinner party coffees for eight, then do it; however, if you are producing excellent espresso with only the occaisional re-pour, then you may be better off pouring (ha ha punny guy) your resources into improved stainless euro appliances or granite benchtops etc. You can also get a pretty good roasting set up for that type of money.

If however, you already have all of the above, then do what I did and grab the shiny new play thing which delights me ... every time my friends express their jealousy.

The mere fact that you have raised this topic tells me that a) you have the money and b) youve already given it a lot of thought.

So... just do it!!! ;)

Sooner or later you will decide to do it anyway, and if you take 5 years to make the decision, you will then kick yourself for missing out on great gear for 5 years!!!

I know, I do it all the time (procrastinate). :-[