Thread: When time is a factor - warm up times

When time is a factor - warm up times

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Im looking to upgrade from a auto machine to a proper espresso machine but am a little concerned by some of the warm up times Ive seen mentioned on this site. One talked of 45 minutes?
    Im a doctor and so am often in a hurry or pushed for time. Am I committing myself to such long warm up times if I invest in an authentic manual espresso machine?

Re: When time is a factor - warm up times

Hi drcoffee - generally machines tend to vary (mine takes around 30 minutes or so), however the way to get around this - depending on your machine: some dont like it, but most do - buy a power outlet with a digital timer on it.

Its not very expensive - mine cost $25.00 from Bunnings a couple of weeks ago and has 4 outlets - and you can then set it to switch on half an hour before you plan to be awake. My alarm goes off at 5.45am, so I have it set to switch on at 5.15am and switches off again at 7.00pm in the evening.

Cheers
    Di

As per what Hoyks suggests, but it depends on what you mean by proper espresso machine. The HX (heat exchanger) machines will take 30 - 45 minutes or longer.

My old single boiler dual purpose Vibiemme Piccolo I could have ready to use in 20 mins. As it required a bit of priming to ensure the boiler is filled, I didnt run it from a timer. But stick a towel over the group head and it would warm up quicker. Also, running some hot warer from the boiler through the grouphead would help too.

Machines based on thermoblocks such as Sunbeam, Gaggia and Breville etc would generally be ready in 5 - 10 mins.

A coffee machine is no different to a car or a human body

They all have an optimum operating temperature

So to answer your question yes warm up time is needed, as to how much is dependant on the machine as noted above

KK

Generally speaking, you could just leave it on 24/7 ;)

Caffeine Junky

Doc, it is worth noting that machines can be used earlier than the recommended warm up time, although the result will not be optimal. I was desperate for a coffee this morning so only gave the machine 5min before making a flat white. Result was still better than most cafe coffees and not much worse than if Id waited 45min.

Im sure people with more educated paletes than me will cringe at the above comment.

Quote Originally Posted by 37363C2F31342E5D0 link=1247456883/5#5 date=1247462930
    Doc, it is worth noting that machines can be used earlier than the recommended warm up time, although the result will not be optimal.I was desperate for a coffee this morning so only gave the machine 5min before making a flat white.Result was still better than most cafe coffees and not much worse than if Id waited 45min.

Im sure people with more educated paletes than me will cringe at the above comment.
    Thats a fair call but the thermoblock machine has a lot to do with that. I wouldnt even bother with my HX machine at 5 min. The group would barely be warm by then. The water coming out of it would be way too cool so would extract no flavor at all. The smaller machines would be a must if you want a coffee at the last minute.

Back to OP though guys he said he is a doctor. I think the point is that drcoffee wont know when he needs the machine turned on so a timer is out of the question. The only solutions would be smaller boiler machine or thermoblock system or get a machine that is efficient that can be left on. Aeropress is also an option if it is only black coffee that is needed.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by 6B545255484F7E634E584D44210 link=1247456883/6#6 date=1247464114
    drcoffee wont know when he needs the machine turned on *
    I didnt infer that; only that he wouldnt have 30 mins or so to cool his heels waiting for the machine to warm up. I think it comes down to...

depends on what you mean by proper espresso machine

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 76777D6E70756F1C0 link=1247456883/5#5 date=1247462930
    Doc, it is worth noting that machines can be used earlier than the recommended warm up time, although the result will not be optimal. *I was desperate for a coffee this morning so only gave the machine 5min before making a flat white. *Result was still better than most cafe coffees and not much worse than if Id waited 45min. *

Some may, but at the end of the day it is your call... and your pallet..

Some may even say, they can pick the difference.. *But I have only met a few that really do have that capacity... *It also depends on the machine and the beans... People keep forgetting that the output is so dependant on so many variables... That a straight out answer is not always available... Thus the reason so many struggle with consistency.

Oh... And in a mad rush.. I too have been guilty. Still better than a pod and nesspreso or instant :D

Quote Originally Posted by 56696F687572435E736570791C0 link=1247456883/6#6 date=1247464114
    Back to OP though guys he said he is a doctor. *I think the point is that drcoffee wont know when he needs the machine turned on so a timer is out of the question. *The only solutions would be smaller boiler machine or thermoblock system or get a machine that is efficient that can be left on

Even the EM6910 can take some time... And after being on for a while slips into standby mode..

DrCoffee has hit any number of topics on CS with limited background information and very open questions/statements...

I think the issue that the good DrCoffee has not fully explained; is his level of appreciation of coffee or requirements....

Quote Originally Posted by 474D584F4F405452210 link=1247456883/7#7 date=1247465069
    Quote:
    depends on what you mean by proper espresso machine

So until that is resolved there will be a round robin of Questions and responses...

Just wake up earlier to make your coffee/coffees.

I wake up an hour earlier to spend quality time with my toys every morning :D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2503140B0C53620 link=1247456883/9#9 date=1247470057
    Just wake up earlier to make your coffee/coffees.

I wake up an hour earlier to spend quality time with my toys every morning :D
    Please keep it G rated...

I wake my wife up (When she is at home) to get it ready for me... When I come home, she turns on teh machine when she hears the garage door go up...

If she is really missing me and wants me out of the shed... She has been known to make it as well...

Machine or Wife ???? Can not quite work out which one needs to upgraded first ;)

Hey Anger management,
    I have a cultured palate and appreciate the finer things in life (and coffee) but on the other hand Im a realist who works 70 hours a week so I dont know if Ill have the discipline to get up an hour earlier :)
    Unfortunately I dont have the time to be a true snob :)

With enough planning, you can pull off anything. Drcoffee, I am a med student who still manages to fit in several great home made espressos a day, in between classes, hospital rotations, parallel consults with GPs, emergency shifts and the Hey come and see this cool sign phone calls that we get around the clock, and then still have to run my own business to fund my way.

The first secret, is coffee is the most important thing. Everything else must bow to it! ;D ...Not really, after all I havent been kicked out of medicine yet. But I really do view it as an essential part of my day, and although it may get rescheduled, it is always still on my to do list and never cancelled.

The second, as mentioned above, is selection of machine. I have a single boiler dual purpose lever espresso machine - LaPavoni Europiccola. (Depends on what you mean by proper espresso machine). It really can be ready to go in about 10 minutes if you need it to be. Turn it on, get in the shower - clean, dry, dress, pull espresso. Though, if you are on call and want one on your way out the door, you need to leave your machine on (in which case the Europiccola is no good for this) and have beans in grinder ready to go as soon as the phone rings.

Third, find a machine you can use where you work. In my hospital, you need to get very friendly with the obstetricians who have an espresso machine in their tea room. I won them over by giving the machine a proper clean - shower screen off, caffetto used, descale machine, present the case: Dr Obstetrician, I have a 2 year old presenting with bad tasting pulls on a background of neglect. After administering caffetto 1g/kg stat and undergoing a descale procedure the patient pulls significantly better tasting shots. I am concerned about the potential for future neglect and seek advice on notifying the case to DoCS (Dept of Coffee Services)...

Finally, there is the Level 10 meeting (must sound very official when pronouncing this). Level 10 in my hospital is the JMO hangout area. When my colleagues and I really need a caffeine break, we schedule a Level 10 meeting. It gives the impression that it is obviously something official that we must attend...oh, sorry this wont be as effective for yourself, kinda relies on the little responsibility at this stage of training.

You can do it Drcoffee. You Drs seem to pull off amazing feats without time. To help bump it up your priority list, view your lack of decent caffeine as an impairment to your ability to perform your duty and thus the only ethical response is to take a coffee break. ;)

Caffeine Junky

AM is right, we really need to know what drcoffees requirements are. We may have already scared him off to his nearest dept store to buy a fully automatic kraps.

Or have you heard of something called the handpresso?

You could put it in your pocket, whip it out and make espresso anywhere, anytime! even during surgery!!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 3D2B3A363F3F3C3C590 link=1247456883/11#11 date=1247470371
    Hey Anger management,
    I have a cultured palate and appreciate the finer things in life (and coffee) but on the other hand Im a realist who works 70 hours a week so I dont know if Ill have the discipline to get up an hour earlier :)
    Unfortunately I dont have the time to be a true snob :)

I am ex Government - Health... *Well, currently on 12 months extend leave with out pay and I know what the hrs can do to you... Regardless of your passion or commitment to giving back to society...

If you like teh finer things in life... But also have to consider the Wife (who does not) and your time constraints.. *

Then you need to put forward a mini business case and define the budget and consumables ...

Crap... Did I really say that

1: Drop in and visit a sponsor or two... *It will provide a 500% return as to your choice of investment on long term outcomes.

2: If we know where you based.. *A senior CS member may be able to show / demonstrate what they have...

3: Do not under sell your wifes skills... *The self esteem gained from working a piece of Bling / grinding beans (fresh aroma), frothing milk ( Late art to follow) and making a great coffee is not to be shrugged off..

My wife can do it and when at the private practice where she works, the 3 medicos will always wait to see if she is in and has beans... *They prefer her coffee on an EM3600 to every thing else around... And two have their own...

At a dinner party or what ever... *I am sure it would be a great time for all..

The problem starts when she will want to build her own roaster... *:D ;D

PS... *Where to you intend to get ya beans from ???

Quote Originally Posted by 173126393E61500 link=1247456883/14#14 date=1247470756
    You could put it in your pocket, whip it out and make espresso anywhere, anytime! even during surgery!!
    has a double meaning when you consider the action required to make a shot with it. Even funnier when you look at your last post!!!! Should I quote AM and tell you to keep it G rated! ;D

Haha you guys are hilarious. I am really enjoying myself here.

Problem with the wife is that is a tea drinker so Im all alone on the espresso train. Will keep you posted :)

Quote Originally Posted by 5244555950505353360 link=1247456883/17#17 date=1247471721
    Problem with the wife is that is a tea drinker so Im all alone on the espresso train.
    There is an espresso machine called the Isomac Tea - so you could pretend you were buying it for her

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6076676B62626161040 link=1247456883/17#17 date=1247471721
    Haha you guys are hilarious. I am really enjoying myself here.

Problem with the wife is that is a tea drinker so Im all alone on the espresso train. Will keep you posted :)
    With a good machine... She can make tea as you will have hot water on tap... So to speak.

Or get her a nice infusion set and while you play with the areopress etc she can seep her teas.

My wife does a great apple tea and very refreshing when cold.

All the HX machines out there (with the exception to mine) have a hot water spout. She can use that for an instant supply of hot water for her tea!!!

Leaving your machine on is certainly a good option. My machine has an insulated 2l boiler(a lot of HX machines do but not all). Because of that it is quite efficient. The element comes on about 10 seconds every 2 minutes. It is 1400w and at that rate the heating element would be on for 2 hrs a day. That is 2.8 units of elec per day @ 16c or 45c per day. Of course there is the added wear and tear on the machine running 24/7 which I cant really comment on.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by 033C3A3D2027160B2630252C490 link=1247456883/20#20 date=1247472522
    Leaving your machine on is certainly a good option.
    Might be a good option but not recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by 4157525243414D44444747220 link=1247456883/21#21 date=1247475425
    Quote Originally Posted by 033C3A3D2027160B2630252C490 link=1247456883/20#20 date=1247472522
    Leaving your machine on is certainly a good option.
    Might be a good option but not recommended.
    Dont think Id even go so far as to say it was good Den; its just an option in my view.... ;)

So-called prosumer machines are not really meant to be operated in this way as prolonged exposure to elevated temperatures only accelerates the deterioration of a number of component parts which can be expensed within a commercial environment but are completely out of pocket for a home user.... :-?

Mal.

Doc - you can get very acceptable coffee from a Sunbeam EM6910 with 10 mins from cold. It gets a little better with longer time but not by much...all you need to is run the group with the equivalent of a double shot worth of water through the group and PF which will warm things acceptably.

I would recommend that one for you because it is very good at turning off if you forget to do so. It also has good safety features in terms of low water etc.

If on the other hand you are happy for a half hour warm up time say then it opens up some flasher prosumer machines I guess (at much higher purchase cost). If you are willing to work at it to get the best result, between those two stages is the Rancilio Silvia, but you would be struggling in terms of doing many milk coffees compared to the EM6910 but from accounts a sweeter shot.

Let us know your budget and whether you are more into black coffees versus milk (not just stained with milk but textured drinks such as flat white, late etc)....and also whether you intend to do big numbers of milk coffees from time to time - eg dinner parties.

With that sort of info we should be able to give you some more guidance.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 426F6B676A060 link=1247456883/22#22 date=1247475993
    So-called prosumer machines are not really meant to be operated in this way as prolonged exposure to elevated temperatures only accelerates the deterioration of a number of component parts which can be expensed within a commercial environment but are completely out of pocket for a home user....
    what parts are you talking about. I presume you are talking about pressurestat and the element?

I was going to respond in here but made a new topic regarding the life of the heating element.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1247480525/0

There is no such argument for the pressurestat though.

The pressurestat in such machines is not a heavy duty unit like in a commercial. My FAEMA is 14 years old and the pressurestat contacts still look good and its one most of the time. The diaphragm is also prone to getting stiff, but certainly on big commercials they are a dime a dozen and easy to replace (I have done mine before to close up the on and off pressure.

The commercials are meant to take constant heat - even the group seals that suffer from constant heat are very cheap and easy to replace on a big commercial.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 5E4859555C5C5F5F3A0 link=1247456883/0#0 date=1247456883
    Hi,

Im looking to upgrade from a auto machine to a proper espresso machine but am a little concerned by some of the warm up times Ive seen mentioned on this site. One talked of 45 minutes?
    * Im a doctor and so am often in a hurry or pushed for time. Am I committing myself to such long warm up times if I invest in an authentic manual espresso machine?
    If you buy a machine with an e61 group, you can reduce the warmup time quite considerably by draping a towel over it when you turn the machine on. Dont leave the towel on for longer than about 20 mins to 1/2 hr, as it can overheat the group.

(Especially geeky readers might note that chucking a towel over the group provides yet another way to manipulate temperature on a HX; as for how useful it is ...)

Timers, leaving it on, manservants ... also good options.

Cheers,
    Luca

Luca, will you be my manservant? IIRC youre pretty used to wearing a pinny, and can cook a wide range of delights.

my neurologist happens to have a good appreciation of coffee - hes a CS and has a unico splendor (i think) - perhaps your wife might like it as an object of desire?

when do you need a coffee - is it when youre on call?

hey doc,

get a bz07. Its group head electrically heated, so its only 10-15 mins b4 youre good to go. :)

gavin.