Thread: Installing a pressure gauge into an Expobar office control

Installing a pressure gauge into an Expobar office control

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

Call me crazy but I am toying with the idea of installing a dual brew/boiler gauge into the front panel of my machine. There is enough room in there but the front panel needs to be able to be removed to access the opv and pressurestat if needed

Does anyone know of any flexible hose the will handle the pressure and temps generated for a permanent gauge? or is brass my only option.

I intend to tee off the p-stat and opv unless someone can suggest a better idea.

Cheers,

Barrel

Re: Installing a pressure gauge into an Expobar office control

you could easily bend (by hand) the thin copper pipe that would be best for this.

i think its annealed that is "soft copper" pipe or un-annealed. either way its very easy to bend.

an old homebrew trick to stop the pipe flattening is to fill the pipe full of sugar or salt, it will then bend well in your hands without kinking etc.

best way is start with straight pipe tape up one end and fill with fine salt
    then tap tap it on the floor vertically then fill some more and repeat to make sure its full.
    then bend
    to get the salt out just put it in a pot of water and boil, the salt "melts"

if your going to heat the pipe while bending use salt..... i know that from experience...

forgot to ad, your local ENZED is a great source of pipes and fittings and they deal with lots of interesting machines they know how to look outside the square :)

Thanks for the info. I picked up a great looking 60mm dual gauge yesterday but it would not fit where I wanted it :-/ I picked up 2 40mm gauges today that will fit quite well. :D

I will head off to Enzed tomorrow and see what they have. I dont suppose anyone knows off hand what size thread the expobars use? The p-stat looks like 1/4 inch, not sure if it is NPT or BSP though. From a few post on the web, it seems that John Geust (Speedfit) adaptors work on the OPV fittings.

COFFEECHASER

I would be interested to see how this goes for you Barrel. Any chance of showing pics once it is complete to show the set up?

Will do mate.

Quote Originally Posted by 54574444535A360 link=1247646506/2#2 date=1247744736
    I picked up a great looking 60mm dual gauge yesterday but it would not fit where I wanted itUndecidedI picked up 2 40mm gauges today that will fit quite well. Cheesy
    Where in Melbourne can you pick these up? Im looking for one to make a pressure gauge on my portafilter.

thx.,

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by 282B38382F264A0 link=1247646506/2#2 date=1247744736
    I will head off to Enzed tomorrow and see what they have. *I dont suppose anyone knows off hand what size thread the expobars use? *The p-stat looks like 1/4 inch, not sure if it is NPT or BSP though. *From a few post on the web, it seems that John Geust (Speedfit) adaptors work on the OPV fittings.
    take it with you if you can, then you / they can have a look :)

Well I got all of the connections and I have connected the boiler pressure gauge. Now here is a dumb question but I have never had a gauge before and I am paranoid about leaks.

The pressure reads 1.1bar at the top of the cycle and 0.9 at the bottom of the cycle.

The machine cylces about once every minute or so, is that normal ?

I have never paid much attention before.

As for the gauges, they can be bought from most of the manufactures. For example Expobar sell the minore gauges as a spare part.

The pressure readings are normal for most machines out there and the cycle time sounds normal as well, all machines are a little different! *;)

Warren.

thread lacks pictures of the mod :)

can we also ask what the mod $$$ cost

I will take some pics and post up during the week. The pstat on the expobar is a 1/4 BSP thread, so I have placed a t in line with the pstat and run 1/4 copper piping to the gauge via an elbow and reducer as the gauge had a 1/8 thread.

It should be a lot easier than it was as there is not much room in the expobar office when the water reservoir is in place.

ok guys the brew pressure gauge is now in as well. The plastic tubing that I teed into is the same OD and feel as John Guest speed fittings and it locked into the compression T but it leaked >:( The made things a little bit more difficult as I had to replace the factory hose with 1/4 inch poly hose to use the speedlock adaptors.

Over the job was a little tricky but it was the first time I had done it! Excuse the lack of pics for now as I was up pretty late chasing a couple of leaks in my copper plumbing but I will post some during the week.

Oh the brew pressure was at 12 bar so I have dropped it down to just a smidge over 9 bar for now.

COFFEECHASER

Have you had a chance to take pics of the mod yet Barrel?

Gee I forgot all about it, I will take some tomorrow and post them up.

COFFEECHASER

Thanks mate. The truth is so did I until I saw your post about your new Mazzer purchase. We have the exact same set up now, although no gauges for me (yet).

Ok, I have dug up some pics for you. *Basically I used a hole saw to cut the gauges into the body of the Expobar, the gauges are from a Rancilio.

I placed the boiler pressure gauge on the top front side near the steam wand knob. *I was going to mount it on the front face with the brew pressure gauge but being a solid copper pipe it would have had to have been disconnected every time I wanted to take the front cover off.

I used 1/4 inch fittings copper and I t- pieced from the pressure stat to the gauge. *If you follow where to T into the pstat then you could mount your gauge anywhere you like if you have room.

One thing to note is that 1/4 inch copper can be hard to come across, but Reece plumbing have certain branches that stock refrigeration plumbing supplies and they stock all of the compression fittings as well as the ts and elbows if required.

For the brew pressure gauge it is much easier to do. *I replaced the clear plastic hose that runs from the opv to the boiler with 1/4 inch black poly hose and used a john guest speed fitting t piece to the back of the gauge. This hose has cold water running through it and being flexible hose hose means I can still remove the front face plate.

The fittings from factory that you connect the hose to are already screw on compressing fittings that I have marked in one of the photos. *I thought that the original hose might work, but it leaked at the speed fittings.

I will attach the pics of the brew gauge and connections in this post, and the boiler pics in the next.

In the last pic above, you can see where I have t pieced into the pressure stat. The copper pipe running towards the camera and bending up is the new pipe to the new gauge.

Below is a pic of the pressure stat before the t piece. A pic showing the plumbing up to the gauge and a closer pic of the elbow to the gauge. The pipe that goes over the top and out of the front of the machine is the pipe to the steam wand.

The last pic is of the gauge itself.

Cheers,

Dean.

COFFEECHASER

Nice work. Thanks for posting pics.

Is that a cool touch steam wand as well? Not the same set up that I have after all, mine is the semi-auto.

Yes mate it is a cool touch wand, it came standard on the machine in June this year, the feet are also smaller.

TC

Great work Dean,

With the mods and the thermostability and Scace, your machine is punching well above its weight.

Impressive workmanship 8-)

Chris

Yes Chris, it is worth mentioning that the Thermostability modifications you made together with dropping the pressure from 12.5 bar to 9 bar, really did transform the machine. *I used to require a very large cooling flush or around 8 oz. *Now, I flush for a couple of seconds and everything is great, even if the machine has been idle for hours. The boiler still cycles to 1.1 bar top of cycle.

Bang for your buck on a HX machine, the thermostability mod is the best money you will spend if you have a machine that runs hot.