Thread: Working back from the espressio to the machine

Working back from the espressio to the machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Im still trying to work out the best fit espresso machine for my needs so thought Id mention the espresso that I particularly enjoy and then have members deconstruct back to the machine.
    In melbourne I enjoy "Midali", in Adelaide I like Cibo which is similar but not quite as good.
    I prefer textured milk beverages over black espresso.
    I like the sweet taste one gets at Midali - the baristas there practically glare at any customer that asks for sugar as their cappucinos are naturally sweet ...

Oh and I like my coffee hot.

Hey so how do I pour one of them babies at home now? :)

Re: Working back from the espressio to the machine

Quote Originally Posted by 7A6C7D7178787B7B1E0 link=1247715626/0#0 date=1247715626
    Hey so how do I pour one of them babies at home now? Smiley
    Easy.

You use their coffee.
    You use their grinder.
    You use their espresso machine.
    You use their water filtration system.
    You use their milk.
    And preferably have one of their baristas make it for you.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by 7F6978747D7D7E7E1B0 link=1247715626/0#0 date=1247715626
    - the baristas there practically glare at any customer that asks for sugar as their cappucinos are naturally sweet ...

Oh and I like my coffee hot.
    i always order a

light soy, chai weak de-cafe latte, in a tall glass, not to hot, with just a small sprinkle of chocy, and I always ask for raw sugar. not that highly processed white stuff that gives me heartburn, and i like the bit of tissue paper wrapped around my glass.

you know how they do it down the road........... just the way i like it

who let the post trolls out? :D

GS/3 would suit you beautifully w/ a Mazzer Robur or Kony / K10 / Mahlkoenig grinder.

argument - double boiler increases range of top notes youll get, with the PID for brew temp control, and a top of the range grinder to get the bright notes out of the coffee - anything less than $1500 will miss those subtle nuances youll pick up with a highly trained palette.

on the other hand.....

domus galatea - very forgiving, macap m4 - shiny partner, good price, good grind or compak k10 wbc / macap mx (conical burr grinder, high end). choose a sweet coffee (like a karmee blend or a NZ blend) or ask your local coffeesnobs site sponsor for advice on which blend to choose.

Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar

Hi DC
    Some of these replies sound too much like they come from the man who owns the comic store in the Simpsons for my liking! ;D We are all a bit obsessive I suppose - but yours is still a valid question!
    All replies above are spot on, but dont give much direction.
    IMHO the fact that you know what you like is actually a great place to start. Getting the best setup (grinder and machine) that can afford will allow you to produce consistent, quality shots and textured milk.
    Learn to use them well, then you will start to taste the differences in the various coffees you buy.
    Then start trying different blends (even your favourite cafe blend) until you like the results.
    Ive only recently started drinking espresso since I got a good machine, and before this I had no idea about the range of flavours in different blends. Tastes can be spicy, chocolately, nutty - really depends what you like!
    This is why I enjoy the process so much - something with such complexity coming from these little brown beans...

My advice - get a decent setup, and set out on the journey - youll one day equal your local cafe if youre willing to put in the time & effort!

DBC