Thread: Upgrade from VBM Levetta

Upgrade from VBM Levetta

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

Looking at upgrading my machine at the end of the year. *I currently have a Levetta, and despite loving the coffee she produces, would like very much to be able to produce more than 2 coffees without starting to stress out. :-[

We still drink mostly lattes. *Are prepared to spend a bit more, but not too much! *Keen to be able to make 4 - 6 coffees without cursing those whove asked for one! ;)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Slowcoffee.

Re: Upgrade from VBM Levetta

Heat Exchanger (HX) is the way to go

If you like the VBM range then its the logical next step up to the Domobar Super

If you are fishing around look at Bezzera, La Spaziale, Expobar, Diadema and add them to a short list and test drive away on all machines

Start now

KK

I upgraded from the VBM Piccolo (Levetta) myself a couple of months ago. With a similar budget to what I imagine yours is, I thought I would be aiming for a Bezzera BZ707 or BZ99 which are around in the low $2K range. If you need HX for sub-$2K then look at the Expobar Office Leva Auto or Semi-Auto.

What I ended up with I did not dream I would be acquiring. But it was the machine I had placed at thye top of my want-list. Planets aligned and Mr. Rudd made a $900 donation; the result: I am a proud GPP owner thanks to Talk Coffee/ Cuppacoffee.

I know this advice is always quoted but its because it is the best advice: contact a sponsor. Go and at least take a look at the possibilities.

Thanks KK,

For better or for worse, didnt test drive anything when I purchased the Levetta - luckily no regrets!

This time round will definitely go and try out a few before making a decision. Thanks for your suggestions. :)

Slowcoffee.

Quote Originally Posted by 575D485F5F504442310 link=1248610924/2#2 date=1248612853
    What I ended up with I did not dream I would be acquiring. But it was the machine I had placed at thye top of my want-list. Planets aligned and Mr. Rudd made a $900 donation; the result: I am a proud GPP owner thanks to Talk Coffee/ Cuppacoffee.
    The GPP looks/sounds fantastic - just had a quick surf to have a look! *You must be very proud! ;) *
    Might be a silly question but does the coffee get better (semi-commercial extraction) or is it more about the ease of use? *Feel like the Levetta makes a great brew, but know theres always room for improvement! *Dont get a Godshot every time! :-/

Cheers,
    Slowcoffee.

Also take close look at how the
    1) panels are put together
    2) water fill is easy. Its one thing I like about my Galatea (its a pain in the U know where if it not)
    3) near to commercial speck on components used

Some are better than others so take some time and scrutinize what you like or dislike

And hopefully you will have one machine that ticks all the boxes for you

Happy testing days to you

KK

Dont forget to add the Diadema machines to your short-list.... ;)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 504F4C54404C45454646230 link=1248610924/4#4 date=1248614300
    Might be a silly question but does the coffee get better (semi-commercial extraction) or is it more about the ease of use?
    Not a silly question. Yes, it was easier to make. I almost cut my coffee-making time in half. When making several shots it would be moreso.

Im not so sure about the ease of use as the principles are pretty much the same but without the boiler-priming required on the Levetta. The big factor I noticed was the forgivingness: you dont have to work as hard to get the god-shot. I wouldnt say I get one everytime but shots that were over- or under-extracted were usually quite drinkable.

It also fits the criterai KK listed but re-fitting the tank on its spigot takes a bit of getting used to at first. Filling from the top with a jug is very easy though.

I have the Domobar Super Lever and have nothing but praise for its extractions & superb steaming power. I think its still the second-best HX machine on the market, especially if you change the taps to Giotto ones and put a 4 hole tip on it. The big pain is that you have to lift the whole cup tray off to re-fill it, and the panels arent as good as the Bezzeras, though up there with all the others, and the burn-burn steam wand isnt ideal. Everything else is about perfect.

My Domus Galatea has love-it-or-hate-it retro (1960s) styling and a beautifully accessibly tank, but you essentially lose 40% of the cup tray if you like the convenience - not a problem in a home situation imo. The taps + steam arms are much nicer, though it does have less steaming power, and it has one of the best low-water cut-offs of any HX machine. Emotionally, I prefer this one.

If you love the levetta, Id get a domobar super - if you dont love the levetta, Id get another brand just to play around.

Quote Originally Posted by 5A77767D677A676A130 link=1248610924/8#8 date=1248664064
    My Domus Galatea has love-it-or-hate-it retro (1960s) styling and a beautifully accessibly tank, but you essentially lose 40% of the cup tray if you like the convenience - not a problem in a home situation imo. The taps + steam arms are much nicer, though it does have less steaming power, and it has one of the best low-water cut-offs of any HX machine. Emotionally, I prefer this one.

If you love the levetta, Id get a domobar super - if you dont love the levetta, Id get another brand just to play around.
    I have to agree on this

Also looking at the build quality of the Galatea in a mechanical engineering view the whole outer casing including the drip tray is welded and ground to seamless joins then polished to a mirror finish *

And like you, Emotionally I prefer the Galatea also

But this will be slowcoffees machine and we can only guide to make the path a little less bumpy

Generally I find its the little things that urk you

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 5974757E64796469100 link=1248610924/8#8 date=1248664064
    it has one of the best low-water cut-offs of any HX machine
    Please explain.

Im really interested to hear so many different points of view and things to look out for. Ill now have a good base to work from when I go for some test-drives! Thanks so much for responding! ;)

Slowcoffee.

As always though,

Try to get a hands on demo/play-time ;) on all of the machines on your short-list. Its really the only way to make sure you end up with THE machine that fits you best. We can all espouse the benefits of the machines we personally own until the cows come home but in the end, you need to be happy with your personal choice after testing a few of them out.

At the echelon that most of the machines listed occupy, youre not really going to be let down by a machines intrinsic design and quality, its more about ergonomics, aesthetics and physical dimensions (its got to be able to fit in where you want it). In the quality stakes, the GPP and Diadema units would share top spot, closely followed by the Bezzera and Isomac, then the VBMs and then all the others depending on whats important to you. Were not talking gargantuan differences here, just a shade here or there and of course... This is just my personal opinion but based on several decades of experience in engineering and design in the areas I believe are important.

Anyway, the main thing though is to enjoy the whole process of selecting your machine and then getting it home to play with at your hearts content. You wont be able to wipe the smile from your face, guaranteed.... ;D

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 4A766B707A7B6C79717A1E0 link=1248610924/10#10 date=1248667653
    Quote Originally Posted by 5974757E64796469100 link=1248610924/8#8 date=1248664064
    it has one of the best low-water cut-offs of any HX machine
    Please explain.
    unlike for example the domobar which operates on a spring-loaded system, so can burn out /boil dry if the tank is in at an angle, but work til then, the Galatea uses an circuit based one which is imo failsafe. :)