Thread: Upgradeitis

Upgradeitis

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all!

Im a pretty new member here and Ive been reading alot of threads.
    In early June I received my 1st espresso machine as a present. I chose it, it is a Delonghi Retro. Then I bought the em0480 grinder and then the em6910. This machine is great and has taught me how to pull shots and texture milk. But Im still to perfect my milk for art pouring.

So yesterday I went and bought the VBM Domobar Super because the voices told me to.

Instantly you can tell that it is a serious piece of kit. Im still learning
    how to dose correctly and control the steam, its been less than a day. The steam does not leave you wanting.The 1st double shot was quite acceptable and the first latte was pleasant. I was very satisfied with the experience of making and drinking. Unfortunately I was still awake at 4am last night.

I am however a little disappointed with the finishing touches of this machine. Its not as poslished a finish as say the sunbeam which I guess has a different manufacturing process. Eg. The tray cover has these unpolished shallow crater like marks on all four sides. Not noticeable at a glance but noticeable when you spend that amount of money and cleaning. The lever is also sporting a few blemishes but Ill get over it.

I have set the it on a timer for my morning(forces me to get up) and the evening cup and I look forward to entertaining my friends in two weeks.

If anyone has the same machine please share your experiences! I havent found a thread for this machine here.

Thanks.

Stopped when blonding appeared

Still trying with the art

Re: Upgradeitis

Not bad art after such a short time behind a machine.

Thanks!

But I think this one was my best so far?

Quote Originally Posted by 5C44524B4C4B4255250 link=1248829749/0#0 date=1248829749
    The tray cover has these unpolished shallow crater like marks on all four sides.
    Think youll find this is from spot welding the mesh onto the drip tray. I have one of these too and youll soon forget about those niggles as you prepare coffee on her.

Enjoy your new toy, and keep up the pics!

Grant

Nice one yawningp, I wish my art looked as good as your early effort!! Im sure you will be turning amazing espresso before too long, enjoy your new toy!!! :) ;) :D :D

I love the "because the voices told me to"...

;D

Welcome from me YawningP - Im very impressed. *Im still working on getting my blob within a blob chased by a blob latte art right!

Cheers
    Di

Thanks for the comments!

Fringe_dweller, its not from welding it looks like poor cutting or something, theres quite of few of these marks with no purpose.

Does yours have the Vibiemme logo on the back of the unit? Mine does
    not.

looks like youre grinding a bit coarse?

Are you referring to the double shot? That was the 1st pull without playing with the grinder.

But now Im thinking Im grinding too fine. My brew gauge is hitting 12 and its dripping out at the moment...

Mine does not have a logo on the back either!
    The VBM DS is a little rough around the edges, then it is built for a purpose ;) and does a good job at it as well :) :)

Quote Originally Posted by 5941574E494E4750200 link=1248829749/8#8 date=1248876685
    But now Im thinking Im grinding too fine. My brew gauge is hitting 12 and its dripping out at the moment... *
    Gauge hitting 12 bar seems high (grind setting aside), the VBM gauges read a little high (about 1.5 bar higher than real world). you might need to adjust the OPV. (mine reads 10.5 bar, its been adjusted using a pressure gauge)!

Have fun with your toy ;) :)

Warren.

Thanks Topshot.

I think you may be correct about the brew pressure, I will adjust it tonight according to the 1st line manual for this machine. Youve probably seen the manual, it is significantly better than the VBM one.

Ever seen a wooden handle for the VBM portafilter....?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 7961776E696E6770000 link=1248829749/10#10 date=1248929393
    Thanks Topshot.

I think you may be correct about the brew pressure, I will adjust it tonight according to the 1st line manual for this machine. Youve probably seen the manual, it is significantly better than the VBM one.

Ever seen a wooden handle for the VBM group handle....?
    Just a quick suggestion before you start: Keep in mind that you had better get your vendors approval before you open anything up...

Tinke inside a machine at risk of voiding your warranty. You may not do damage, but it will be on your hide if you do......

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by 154A52444F4448414142424A4649270 link=1248829749/11#11 date=1248930035
    Just a quick suggestion before you start: Keep in mind that you had better get your vendors approval before you open anything up...

Tinke inside a machine at risk of voiding your warranty. You may not do damage, but it will be on your hide if you do......
    My vibiemme factory manual mentions adjusting both the pressurestat and opv to achieve the optimum settings, so surely this would be ok? Not that im overly concerned about warranties, within a day of getting it id adjusted the opv , pressurestat and insulated the boiler, *im not recommending people who arent familiar with how these machines work go messing around inside them *;)

I want the damn sticker! Didnt get a brush either.
    Quality control.

me neither ;)

having said that - the one from Cafe Kultur in Germany? I saw Renzo from Di Bartoli playing with one IIRC - hes a swine for those toys!

J

I took the cover off last night and adjusted the OPV till the brew guage sat at the 10bar mark.

The valve wasnt very accessible, had to do some slight persuasion to get the valve into an angle I could adjust.

Everything seems to be working well. Fingers crossed.

Pulled this one out of the VBM tonight. Finally a decent rosetta....

Nice art...
    Ive had a little bit of a play with the VBM before (my dad has one). You are quite right when you say the steam wand is not lacking. At all. The power behind it makes it incredibly easy to prepare lots of coffee in a short time. Hence this machine is great for entertaining.
    One of my favourite aspects of it is the massive drip tray and tank (i think the water resovior is about 4L from memory). This means that you dont have to worry about water and you can start focussing on pulling nice shots.
    Overall a very good choice of machine, the voices were obviously onto something.

I have the same machine and the steam wand is superb.
    The rosetta is getting better by the day.
    Have not looked back since:)

hey,

how is the VBM going?