Thread: Having trouble deciding which machine to buy

Having trouble deciding which machine to buy

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,
    Im new to Coffee Snobs and after reading around on here for a while I figured I might as well join up and get some advice on buying a new machine. We are unfortunate owners of 2 (!) crappy Sunbeam Intuitive automatic machines and have finally had enough of them hardly working. *

Im hoping to spend approx $1500-2000 on a machine (thats a little flexible - we want a machine that will do what we need it to do). *I have been doing so much research that Im starting to get lost! *Dont want anything automatic. *Ive been looking at Bezzera B707 and BZ99s, Isomac Zaffiro and Tea but I could really use some input from people who know a lot more than I do.

We make approx 4-8 double shot lattes in the morning (we take travel mugs and a thermos to work :)) and then maybe 2-6 latte in the evening. *

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Gra

Re: Having trouble deciding which machine to buy

Hi Coffee-Rose

With that many milk based coffees I would be looking at a HX machine...

As for witch one I cant help you there but others here will be able to....

Cheers Gra.. ;)

Are you concerned about looks? Personally, Id stretch the budget to a slightly bigger HX (probably the VBM domobar super) or go for the Bezzera BZ07 - the BZ99s seem to be hard to find. I think if youre making 4-8 doubles in the morning, you want something with a larger boiler than 1.5L (Bezzera) or 1.2L (Isomac Tea). The Zaffiro with the 700ml boiler simply isnt going to cut it for 4-8 doubles in succession, so you might look to the Bezzera Domus Galatea if you like the look + feel of Bezzera (2L boiler), or the 2.7L boiler of the VBM Domobar Super - one of the best value for money HX machines and with awesome steaming power for going through the latte milk. There are a number of obvious alternatives, such as a 2nd hand giotto, which might also fit the bill.

If youre in Sydney, youre welcome to PM me, drop by and have a play with either of my machines.

oops ps. suggested 2 lever machines as the BZ07 is push on/off and so is the BZ99 - between the heat exchangers it comes down to taste in cup, aesthetics, build quality (Ive suggested two solid ones) and small things like shape/feel of drip tray, method of filling up, steam taps/nozzles and cup rack.

Hi coffee-rose and welcome.

It sounds like a heat-exchanger (HX) machine may suit your multiple latte making requirements best. I understand the Bezzeras you mention and the Tea are HXs, but the Zaffiro is a single boiler (non-HX) machine, which would make that type of usage a bit difficult. If youre located in the Sydney area, Di Bartoli (see Sponsors on over there <<<) stock them.

HX machines generally start from around the $2,000 mark, although I think Expobar Office machines might still be below. Most HX machines these days are in the $2500 to $3000 range, and there are a large range available from many site sponsors. Best thing to do, after youve had a look around here and gotten some feedback, is to talk to one or more sponsors and get to their shops / showrooms to try them out for yourself.

One big point to raise - do you have a grinder? As you may be aware, the ability to grind your own (good quality, fresh roasted) beans with a good quality burr grinder is essential. You would need to set aside at least $500 for a decent grinder (this would get you a Rocky), up to about $800 (Mazzer Mini, Macap M4, etc) or, at a pinch, $300 (for a Lux / Iberital Challenge type grinder).

Enjoy the search.

Greg

+ 1 for what Greg said

Caffeine Junky

+2 For Gregs advice.

Cheapest HX machines are:
    Nuova Simonelli Oscar ~$1300
    Expobar Office Semi-Auto ~$1600

Anything with a stainless steel outer is $2000+

As Greg mentioned, allow for a good grinder.

Visiting a sponsor with a wide range such as Di Bartoli (Currently have the Vibiemme Domobar Super Lever on sale) or Jetblack Espresso (Isomac Tea on sale) is definitely the way to go. Lots to choose from in the $2200-3000 range there. It will probably be a lot easier to decide when you see and use them.

I picked up a new BZ99 from Barazi in Brisbane in April this year.

It is a wonderful machine and i only do 2-4 double espresso a day and a hot chocolate for the better half.
    They are built like a tank an will deal with your coffe making requirements in *a blink. Happy hunting.
    cheers

Thanks everyone for the response. *Youve all given me some great *direction to continue in my quest. *I know theres some great options in the $2500+ range but Im just not sure if I can stretch the budget that high as I do have to buy a grinder as well (I need to go and ask some questions in the Grinders section to find out the best grinder for my needs/budget also). *

At the moment Im leaning toward the Isomac Tea, I got some info from DiBartoli about the Tea and it seems to suit my needs. *Im not really concerned about looks or space, ultimately its the performance that matters.

While Id love to go and try out some of these machines - I live in rural Victoria - Melbournes about 3 hours away and I physically dont have the time or opportunity to go there. *The internet is my best friend when it comes to finding a machine and you guys are a great source of information.

Thanks again *:)

TC

Hi Rose,

Much of the Diadema range will also be within budget for you.

CosmoreX, Jetblack and Talk Coffee all sell Diadema.

When it comes to external finish, nothing comes close IMHO and the new Diadema HX machines (Extra and Regal 1.3L and 2.0L) are brilliant out of the box without retrofit tweaks or upgrades required to make other brands usable.

You will find much of the Diadema range within budget as there are special offers available this month.There are also good deals around on Vibiemme Domobar Super Lever with black sides....

Happy shopping...

2mcm

Thanks 2mcm, I havent looked at Diadema yet but I will certainly check them out now. Cheers.

What can I say.... ;D

I second Chriss comments about the Diadema range and the current deals on offer certainly make an incredible opportunity to own a superlative machine... 8-)

Enjoy the experience :)

Mal.

How does the Isomac TEA stack up against the Diadema Junior Extra as I have just found the new Isomac TEA model for just under $2000! I realise the implications with a stainless steel boiler but how does the Isomac rate regarding the quality of components/build/shots compared to the Diademas? Im still not sure that a single boiler will cover "all" of my needs otherwise id definitely get a Perfetta now.

Im also curios about the distance below the group ie. being able to get a glass underneath comfortably?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 4A424B4A4D4A4A2F0 link=1249621346/12#12 date=1249813652
    How does the Isomac TEA stack up against the Diadema Junior Extra as I have just found the new Isomac TEA model for just under $2000! I realise the implications with a stainless steel boiler but how does the Isomac rate regarding the quality of components/build/shots compared to the Diademas? Im still not sure that a single boiler will cover "all" of my needs otherwise id definitely get a Perfetta now.

Im also curios about the distance below the group ie. being able to get a glass underneath comfortably?
    Hi emdebee,

I dont think thats really a valid comparison as youre comparing a $2k machine with a higher capacity and vastly better built and performing machine. A way more realistic comparison would be against a Mondiale or something similar.

FWIW, I dont think it (the Tea) stacks up against a Diadema Regal 1.3L which Id have in preference any day even if I needed to spend a few more $$$.....but of course, thats just my opinion ;)

Nevertheless, a legion of Diadema owners here (including our mod, Mal) will tell you that the Extra and Regal are "right" straight out of the box. The tea still seems to need a fair amount of pre-sale work if its to do the job well.

Best bet is to look at them both, talk to a few people and then make your own decision.

Happy shopping...

Cheers 2mcm

Unfortunately I am not a fan of the styling of the Regal *:(, so I guess it is between the Perfetta and Junior Extra. My real criterion is the best quality/performance at the right price! Guess Ill be calling Talk Coffee tomorrow... see if I can get in there and have a looksee at some of the machines myself to get a better perspective on my impending/this week purchase. *;D

I need good coffee when I write/produce music!

I need it now... *;)

Hi,

Went and saw Chris at Talk Coffee today... what a nice bloke!

Anyway, bit the bullet, getting the Diadema Junior Extra, Mazza Mini-Manual (polished aluminium) and the assortment of goodies thrown in by Chris.

The Mazza looks great on my black granite top, just that it looks very lonely! Ill be getting the Diadema by the end of the week. YAY!!!

Cant wait ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 20282120272020450 link=1249621346/15#15 date=1249884302
    Hi,

Went and saw Chris at Talk Coffee today... what a nice bloke!

Anyway, bit the bullet, getting the Diadema Junior Extra, Mazza Mini-Manual (polished aluminium) and the assortment of goodies thrown in by Chris.

The Mazza looks great on my black granite top, just that it looks very lonely! Ill be getting the Diadema by the end of the week. YAY!!!

Cant wait *;D
    Excellent news mate.....

Youll be over the moon once you have this terrific combo setup at home and working for you. Congratulations! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.

Thanks Mal...

Chris said you were a firm supporter/owner of the "beast"

Should have it by Thursday arvo - woohoo :)

Sleepless nights ahead me thinks ;)

hi guys, i recently purchased a diadema regal and mini mazzer grinder from jet black and couldnt be happier with my puchase. I spent the best part of 6 months researching and testing out most of the HX machines on the market and IMHO found the diadema to be the best value and quality made product out there. I havent slept much sine either ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 24312C315E0 link=1249621346/18#18 date=1250172813
    I havent slept much sine either *;)
    Know that feeling ;D ;D

Enjoy the journey 8-)

Mal.

I think what zoro really found John, was that the Diadema was the right machine for him. ;)

Sorry to speak of you in the third person zoro. Congratulations on your purchase. The Diademas make a great cuppa! :)

Quote Originally Posted by 775A5B504A574A473E0 link=1249621346/20#20 date=1250250106
    the diademas seem cheaper than other brands because they cost less to manufacture Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by 7A57535F523E0 link=1249621346/22#22 date=1250252596
    Dont know what the hell you base that comment on....
    I think John may be stirring the possum. He did wink.

CH -Be aware that Mal chose his Diadema JE because his extensive research confirmed to him that the Diadema was of superior build to the other upper Pointy-end HXs. From what Ive seen, Im inclined to agree.

You can have a dig at a man but dont knock hos coffee machine ;D

;D ;D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 050F1A0D0D021610630 link=1249621346/23#23 date=1250284322
    You can have a dig at *a man but dont knock hos coffee machine *
    Yea.. Even if its a Sunbeam ;)

Thanks flynn aus , mal and dennis,
    the diadema regal and mazzer mini are definetly the machines for me. I cant stress enough the enjoyment and great coffee im getting every single time. Other diadema owners know what im on about. Im sure other machines might be just as good but I love the quality of this machine, its stylish appearance and most importantly the excellent quality of espresso that im getting. :)

glad to see the diadema community growing *8-) my machine is still going wonderfully, been using seven seeds espresso blend and turning out coffees as good as at the cafe itself :) if I may say so

also have *nearly* mastered the steam wand, getting beautiful silky milk 95% of the time now

Great to hear guys.... 8-)

Theres no doubt about the quality of these beauties and their ability to produce excellent espresso ad infinitum. Glad youre both having heaps of fun, thats what it is all about.... ;D

Cheers guys,
    Mal.