Thread: Volumetric? Boiler size?

kay

Volumetric? Boiler size?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Our Sunbeam 6910 has died, after having served us well over the past couple of years. Its demise has given me the excuse to look at HX machines, which I hope will last longer than it did!

I have two questions at this stage. Firstly, the Sunbeam has made us accustomed to the volumetric feature. It has been handy to have the machine measure the volume of water while you do the steaming. What are the implications (apart from paying more it seems) on the HX machines? Does it affect the coffee in any way?

And secondly what size boiler should I be looking at? We make 3 cups at a time at home, and occasonally have to do 4-6 if we have visitors. Some of these are milk based drinks. I want plenty of steam for the milk too.

Budget 2-3000 I guess - but I dont want to end up with something that doesnt do the job. We already have a Macap grinder.
    Regards
    kay

Caffeine Junky

Re: Volumetric? Boiler size?

Personally I never used the volumetric feature on my EM6910, I prefer to go by the pour and stop manually. *Volumetric is certainly handy if youre making large amounts of coffee and frees you up to steam milk.

Optimal conditions for pouring will vary depending on bean type, age of beans, room temperature, humidity, etc. *Using a programmed volume will not be optimal for that reason. You could always pour manually when making 1-2 then revert to auto if entertaining for large numbers.

I believe for your requirements any HX machine should be able to handle with those numbers pretty easily.

The Bezerras come very highly recommended... you may want to look at the BZ07DE

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4F455D240 link=1250686766/0#0 date=1250686766
    Our Sunbeam 6910 has died, after having served us well over the past couple of years. *Its demise has given me the excuse to look at HX machines, which I hope will last longer than it did!

I have two questions at this stage. *Firstly, the Sunbeam has made us accustomed to the volumetric feature. *It has been handy to have the machine measure the volume of water while you do the steaming. *What are the implications (apart from paying more it seems) on the HX machines? *Does it affect the coffee in any way? *

And secondly what size boiler should I be looking at? *We make 3 cups at a time at home, and occasonally have to do 4-6 if we have visitors. * *Some of these are milk based drinks. *I want plenty of steam for the milk too. *

Budget 2-3000 I guess - but I dont want to end up with something that doesnt do the job. *We already have a Macap grinder.
    Regards
    kay
    I like my new purchase... And I am from a long term relationship with a number of EM6910s... And I have to say I still like..

As to a volumetric feature... We only ever use teh one button... Double shot :-) But while my wife or kids may rely on it... I use it but in most cases... I just press teh button when I think it should stop..

Thus for me it is no difference to a Manual, other than it has a safety over ride ;D

As size was an issue as well as the volumetric... And being use to the EM6910... I did a bit of research and there was really only TWO that were suitable..

BZ 07 P and this one http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1246171209

AM

Caffeine Junky

Only just occured to me how limited the choice is with volumetric HX machines. A couple of more commercially orientated ones are:

Bezzera BZ99S DE
    Wega Mini Nova (or San Marino equivalent)

My Expobar office control would certainly fit the bill, I use it mainly as a semi auto and manually stop the shots 95% of the time, but if I know I am having a few people around for dinner I program one of the volumetric buttons with a test pour before they come.

My wife isnt the snob that I am and she uses the volumetric feature when she has friends over.

It will steam very well and has the cool touch 2 hole wand and I have no problems making 6 to 8 coffees on the go. It also has a few nice features like an auto back flush cycle.

If you can overlook the fact that it is Spanish and not Italian then the price in the low $2,000 makes it attractive.

I believe that there is at least one VBM DS with Auto functionality....

An Ascaso or two, Expobar Office Fully-auto, the Iberital Laana (Handy) and no doubt a few more ;)

Mal.

Caffeine Junky

I thought the VBM & Handy would be beyond the $ range given. The Office looks like thats exactly where it belongs ::)

Kay, I picked up a second hand single group BFC (they make the Diadema machines).

Its got a 4L boiler and the machine has always been capable of making coffee faster than I can :)

kay

Thank you all for the comments - I am going looking today! I could cope without volumetric but rest of family still want it.... We are all missing the coffee anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 55545E4D53564C3F0 link=1250686766/6#6 date=1250693272
    The Office looks like thats exactly where it belongs *::)
    *Oh I agree, nearly cried when my wife and I went in to test drive the machines, I was fully expecting to come away with lots of bling. A minore III or Giotto was in mind *

It does grow on you though and the new model has done away with the big daggy feet and the stainless side panels now have a pattern pressed into them. *The front panel behind the group is now all stainless and the useless water level window is gone.

It has a nice small footprint and doesnt take up much bench space either. *Oh and once it is set right, it makes a great cup of coffee.

The Diadema Junior Electronica might suit you very well. Its within your stated budget and the brand has a well deserved reputation for quality.

Let us know what you choose.

cheers,
    Rohan

Quote Originally Posted by 0B0A00130D0812610 link=1250686766/1#1 date=1250687898
    Volumetric is certainly handy if youre making large amounts of coffee and frees you up to steam milk.

Optimal conditions for pouring will vary depending on bean type, age of beans, room temperature, humidity, etc.Using a programmed volume will not be optimal for that reason. You could always pour manually when making 1-2 then revert to auto if entertaining for large numbers.
    The Volumetric issue is interesting. I have a new volumetric coming in a few days myself (and I plan on posting some pics).

Ive been using a lever for some years and when I decided to upgrade I was determined to steer clear of volumetric. The extra electronics seemed like a poor long term risk.

Long story short - I couldnt get a lever in less than 2-3 months and the dealer had the volumetric in stock....(Im just not that patient).... well you know the rest.

Anyway, my point is now that were about to have a machine with buttons my wife is happy to learn to pull shots, whereas if I had purchased the lever she wouldnt be interested. I had a laugh - I can already see a few smart remarks coming on this but to me Im happy to get her involved.

cheers,
    Rohan

No smart remarks here Rohan, that is exactly why we have the office control. My wife would not use the minore or the Giotto but she is happy to use volumetric.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 112C2B222D430 link=1250686766/11#11 date=1250726433
    with buttons my wife is happy to learn to pull shots
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by 21223131262F430 link=1250686766/12#12 date=1250728003
    that is exactly why we have the office control. *My wife would not use the minore or the Giotto but she is happy to use volumetric.
    You guys are strange... Buttons / Pulling shots / use volumetric etc

Cant work out if we are talking Sewing , beer barn or *what... *;D

One thing I can say is that if the WHOLE family can become involved; there are some many flow on for all....

1: You - cause you will get some more fredom with $$$

2: The wife is happy to be part of your life and show of with others

3: and if and when the kids get a casual Job in a Cafe - They will have had some exposure...

kay

I have taken the plunge and got the VBM Volumetric Domobar Super. * *Ended up spending more than my budget - as they say, there are no pockets in a shroud. * *The people at jetblack were very helpful and next week they will show us (moi, plus husband and daughter) how to set it up and use it as this kind of machine is new to us. * The other two left the choice to me (except for the volumetric bit) so they canot complain about the extra cost! * But some of the other machines were also beautiful - Giotto, Domous. *So the volumetric requirement *made the decision much easier or I would still be mulling it over.

Still tea for the next few days.

Thanks for all your comments - will let you know if any other news!

Kay

Congratulations on the purchase Kay, for the amount of money we all spend it is good that the whole family is interesting in learning to use the machine. Please let us know how it goes.

It is a nice looking machine too!

Great stuff Kay.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Great machine that offers a shed-load of flexibility and options. Im sure you will be very pleased with the results in the cup,

Enjoy ;D

Mal.