Thread: Tweak my cino

Tweak my cino

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    Im making a good cup of espresso with my new setup (Rocket Giotto with Macap D4 grinder) but its not quite "perfect".
    I thought Id post my brewing procedure to try get some tips on how to fine tune my process. Id be most grateful for feedback:
    - I set the grinder to just under "8" on the fineness setting and have the grind time set to 4.6 seconds. This approximately half-fills the basket. I then lightly tamp this down and add another 4.6 sec of grind and then do the definitive firm tamp.
    - I am currently using the 2 spout portafiller for a single cup of espresso
    - Extraction time is currently about 19 seconds with the above setup. If I let it go longer theres too much coffee in the cup
    - Microfoaming is going well but I cant seem to get the artistic latte art patterns Ive seen.
    - The cappucino made is really good but is not quite sweet enough so I find myself adding just under 1 teaspoon of raw sugar.

Now for my questions:
    1) When making a single cup should I be using the one spout group handle instead? Im guessing this might slow the pour and let me extract for longer than the 19 sec I am doing currently.
    2) Alternatively do others support using the 2 spout group for a single cup? I do like my coffee quite strong
    3) What can be done to improve the "sweetness" of the flavour. i am already grinding quite fine. Will a finer ground make the taste sweeter
    4) Is filling half the basket, light tamping, and then adding more and then proper tamping a bad technique? Should I be filling the basket fully before doing any tamping
    5) When I foam the milk the texture/microfoam looks great cant get latte art to work ...

Any other tips?

A_M

Re: Tweak my cino

Quote Originally Posted by 5C4A5B575E5E5D5D380 link=1250817773/0#0 date=1250817773
    Hi,
    Im making a good cup of espresso with my new setup (Rocket Giotto with Macap D4 grinder) but its not quite "perfect".
    I thought Id post my brewing procedure to try get some tips on how to fine tune my process. Id be most grateful for feedback:
    - I set the grinder to just under "8" on the fineness setting and have the grind time set to 4.6 seconds. This approximately half-fills the basket. I then lightly tamp this down and add another 4.6 sec of grind and then do the definitive firm tamp.
    - I am currently using the 2 spout portafiller for a single cup of espresso
    - Extraction time is currently about 19 seconds with the above setup. If I let it go longer theres too much coffee in the cup
    - Microfoaming is going well but I cant seem to get the artistic latte art patterns Ive seen.
    - The cappucino made is really good but is not quite sweet enough so I find myself adding just under 1 teaspoon of raw sugar.

Now for my questions:
    1) When making a single cup should I be using the one spout group handle instead? Im guessing this might slow the pour and let me extract for longer than the 19 sec I am doing currently.
    2) Alternatively do others support using the 2 spout group for a single cup? I do like my coffee quite strong
    3) What can be done to improve the "sweetness" of the flavour. *i am already grinding quite fine. Will a finer ground make the taste sweeter
    4) Is filling half the basket, light tamping, and then adding more and then proper tamping a bad technique? Should I be filling the basket fully before doing any tamping
    5) When I foam the milk the texture/microfoam looks great cant get latte art to work ...

Any other tips?
    The pour is a combo of TAMP / GRIND and the Beans...

This will affect the pour times and the flavour... Thus it is a issue of try and try again...

BUT only change one thing at a time...

Two spout or Single is not the issue... It is the Basket that you have installed..

I like a strong coffee, thus always use a double basket and stop the shot a bit short... Thus stronger flavours and less caffeine:-)

For me I end up with 45 -50 ml in about 20 to 25 sec...

However I do have to change my Tamp and Grind, depending on the beans I am using to get something in the cup; that I like..

Hi Doc,
    * * Congratulations on a great setup! *In answer to your questions:

1). *Kind of. *(Theres a whole lot of grey here). *Normally, youd use a single basket (metallic perforated cup) in a single group handle (one spout) to make a single shot of espresso. *But!...most (pro Baristi excluded) find the single harder to use (less coffee, more precision in tamping required) so theyll use a double basket in a double group handle (two spouts) and discard the 2nd shot. *

The size of the perforated area in each basket varies to allow different amounts of water/coffee through. *Thus your target is 30ml (60ml for a double) in 30 seconds - 5 seconds pre-infusion and 25 seconds extraction. *Note: 30 in 30 is the standard but benefits can be had from shortening this a little - ie above. *For now, KISS.

2). Certainly! *The first step up in strength would be to use a double ristretto base (first half of two single extractions or one double extraction). *Next step would be a double shot of expresso. *Both double ristretto and double espresso bases for your coffee mean using the waste concern of using the easier double group handle no longer applies.

3). Excessive bitterness and sourness are the results of poor extraction. *Was some training included with your purchase? *Invaluable.

4). Its fine, youve just described one of an infinite number of dose/tamp styles. *Horses for courses.

Mega tips I would suggest are:
    - Do an espresso course with a reputable instructor. *Just cant stress how beneficial that is.
    - As per AM above: Change only one variable at a time

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

P.S. *Ive defined a lot of the terms here for clarity, not condescension! *Apologies in advance.

Check out the sponsors <-------. Their is at least one sponsor in most major cities who is able to offer home espresso courses (and if not people will be able to point you to a reputable trainer close to you). Online you can read tips but having someone (who knows what they are droning) to show you in person who can show you/asses you will get you making infinitely better coffee.

In regards to 1 spout vs 2 spout regardless of basket size, i find it much easier to get my tamp right with the 2 spout as its more stable during the tamping process.