Thread: Blown fuses? Surge protector?

kay

Blown fuses? Surge protector?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I want to ask about others experience with power demands of boiler machines. We get our new VBM in a few days. (Desperately waiting I can tell you). My husband pointed out that it is 1800 watts. Will running it together with a toaster or dishwasher or iron blow the fuse, (or rather trip the thing in the fuse box that prevents blown fuses?).

Also, I am acutely aware that electronics (as in the volumetric feature) is another thing to go wrong. The supplier suggested a surge protector at the power point. What do others do?

Any advice, comments appreciated.

Kay

A_M

Re: Blown fuses? Surge protector?

Quote Originally Posted by 646E760F0 link=1250891761/0#0 date=1250891761
    I want to ask about others experience with power demands of boiler machines. *We get our new VBM in a few days. *(Desperately waiting I can tell you). *My husband pointed out that it is 1800 watts. * Will running it together with a toaster or dishwasher or iron blow the fuse, (or rather trip the thing in the fuse box that prevents blown fuses?). *

Also, I am acutely aware that electronics (as in the volumetric feature) is another thing to go wrong. *The supplier suggested a surge protector at the power point. *What do others do?

Any advice, comments appreciated. *

Kay
    All things being ok... If you have it on a cct with other high current devices (that are running at teh same time) you stand a good chance of tripping the Overload or Earth leakage in teh fuse box.

Old style Jugs, Microwaves, dryers etc etc any item that draws high current or has high on serge demand can cause teh Over load cct breaker to trip; if they are on at the same time..

Some may not cause such a problem if on a different cct, but that depends on how the house and fuse box has been wired..

As a wise man (aka Chris from Talk Coffee) once told me, $20.00 for a surge protector outlet is a lot cheaper than replacing a coffee machine...a very cheap insurance policy backup!

I have a surge protector powerboard with digital timer built into it - two outlets - for $24.00 from The Big Red Hammer Shop (Bunning$) so I run my grinder and Maver off it and have set it so that it comes on in the morning to make my morning cup, switches off after Ive gone to work, switches back on 30 minutes prior to getting home in the afternoon and then switches off at 7.30pm. Another program number allows for it to be switched on from 6.00am until 7.30pm on weekends.

So, two purposes for the price of one!

Cheers
    Di

kay

By coincidence - (our machine hasnt even arrived yet!) our fuse box earth leakage went off this morning and we had to get an electrician. He checked our circuits in the kitchen and is coming back to re-organise things so the machine goes on a different circuit.
    So add an electricians fee to the cost of the machine!

Thanks for the comments - will be off to get a surge protector etc.

Kay

Hi Kay,
    It would pay to find out what you have plugged into the power circuit that you intend to plug your new machine into and the rating of your circuit breaker, before you start worrying too much. In my place the kitchen circuit has a toaster, dishwasher, microwave and electric jug on it as well as Silvia. On weekends, Silvia goes on as soon as I get up and off last thing at night. We have never had the circuit breaker (rated at 20A) for this circuit trip out, nor has the safety switch ever tripped. Silvia is rated at 1150 watts which is a bit below your machines 1800W but I wouldnt imagine that this would make too much difference. Our electric jig is rated at 2000/2400W and I definitely use this when Silvia is on.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Alan

Gday Kay.... :)

Better to opt for a Surge Protector similar to this unit http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/M7800 rather than one of the many multi-outlet boards that abound these days. I know this one actually works because it saved our fax machine from a fry-up during an electrical storm (2 years ago) that knocked out pretty well every other appliance in the house before we could unplug them.

If you are going for a multi-outlet board, you need to make sure its a goodn as most of em make claims that one cant help but raise the eyebrows at... ::)

All the best,
    Mal.