Thread: VBM Piccolo useful upgrade or Manual PID

VBM Piccolo useful upgrade or Manual PID

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have added a thermomter with probe to my Piccolo as previously done by Gra...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1234874457/8#8

I reckon this is a must for all single boiler VBM owners . The advantage of having access to temp readout is you know exactly what part of the heat cycle your boiler is at .....
    PLUS the big bonus I see from this is by using the steam button/switch you have transformed the machine into a manual PID machine..... without having run all the time trying to maintain a specific temp .

IE .... I can come to the machine and see boiler temp at 90* my options are to wait the the machine to drop more and cycle up to temp . OR flush with water till the the temp kicks in .... OR as I now do hit the steam button for 8-10 seconds and that will increase temp to 104 over a 25 sec period .... Manual PID I reckon ...!!!!

Plus once you get familar with what temp your steam maxes out you can judge your steaming to perfection.
    I believe there is a bit of a delay using the jaycar thermometer , but you soon get a feel for whats going on .

I think this is a must for VBM Piccolo owners.

Cheers
    Greg

TC

Re: VBM Piccolo useful upgrade or Manual PID

Quote Originally Posted by 66617A7D66616A0E0 link=1251117354/0#0 date=1251117354
    I reckon this is a must for all single boiler VBM owners
    Good thing to do greg as you get a visual of whats going on.

Better still to Scace the unit and set it (or have it set) to what you require. I think this is essential with any Perfetta or Piccolo. Once done, they are exellent once fully up to operating temperature.

One thing to keep in mind is that they are inherently much more temp stable than a silvia due to the e-61 group and adjustable thermostats with a much smaller dead band.

Chris

Hi Chris

The point I was making and has been wellaired before is that if you know what your boiler is doing your more likely to pour a shot during the sweet spot.....

This was well argued in this link here
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1223588081/0#0

And when you combine this knowledge with an E61 group that does offer a heap more stability you have to be way in front.
    From previous observations using the E61 front inspection port with a thermocouple probe I know That from the TOC heating you can only get two shots away begore the water entering the group is at 90* or below, after starting at 94* at inspection hole.....
    NOW with a thermometer attached as soon as I notice temp is mid ninties or lower , 10secs of steaming button will have boiler right in the zone to deliver 94 at group

I think this temp feedback is better than having a PID constantly working..... I can leave this machine on during the day just lazily going thru its cycles and when I want it to hit any temp I use the thermometer to bring it on to shot temp quick smart.

Greg

Gra

Quote Originally Posted by 77706B6C77707B1F0 link=1251117354/2#2 date=1251173528
    Hi Chris

The point I was making and has been wellaired before is that if you know what your boiler is doing your more likely to pour a shot during the sweet spot.....

Hi Greg

Good to see you have your thermometer up and running it sure makes life easer knowing were your boiler temps at. Just dont forget to prime the boiler after pulling your shots and steeming milk ..

Cheers Gra. :D :D :D