Thread: Finally worked out how to resolve issues with Sunbeam 6900...

Finally worked out how to resolve issues with Sunbeam 6900...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Easy...buy this...

odd...images were showing last night but not now...here are the links...
    http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/speedzilla/newkit3.jpg
    http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/speedzilla/newkit4.jpg

Thanks Chris for the help with making the final selection. It would have to be the easiest purchase I have made.

The Sunbeam EM6900 finally gave up the ghost on Sat. (pooped the thermocouple unit from the collar again and this time I was very keen not to fix it again. *The wifey, God bless her, knew what I really wanted (no, not a 6910) and was also keen for us not to have to go without coffee for more than a day. So a quick call to Chris and we dropped by on Monday and came home with a new machine...the grinder was always going to happen, I just did not think Id get it today, but as manu of you know, thats the way it goes when you go machine shopping!

They fit perfectly in the corner and after a few hours I am very happy with the way the shots are going. And the steam! *WOW! I was always proud of my milk texturing, but this just elevates it to a whole new level! *

The M4D is a delight to use - quiet and efficient. I initially thought the timed dose was a gimmick, but its actually very useful. It is currently set to single of 5.7 and double of 4.2 - for a settling tamp half way through. I will play with the double more in time. No mess. None - which makes the wifey all the more happy.

I just love the finish on the Giotto - though having a fetish for polishing I have already given one side a polish as it has very slight scratches on the finish - which easily polished out to a true mirror finish with some elbow grease and stainless polishing paste.

A very happy camper.

Over time I expect I will repair the 6900 with some hefty 5mm bolts (deep drilled and tapped this time) and sell it and the grinder on evilbay to recoup a morsel of the cost of the above.

I can not wait until the morning when I get to make coffee with my new toys! *:D

Cheers.

Re: Finally worked out how to resolve issues with Sunbeam 6900...

Congrats.

Enjoy.

Nice combo 8-).... And so shiny :D

Congratulations "LatteLover", Coffee Nirvana just got so much closer now. Have fun... :)

Mal.

Nice toys! hope you enjoy finding the sweetspots - time to update your sig!

Gra

Congratulations on your new setup looks great ,You couldnt help but give her a polish every time you passed by ;D ;D ;D Have Fun.

Cheers Gra..

Thanks guys.

Sig. has been updated and yes, I need to resist the urge to give her a quick once over with a polishing rag every time I walk past...and to think the wife was worried I would not keep it clean! Ha! I can not wait to the weekend when I can get time to sit down and really give her a good polish...the machine that is :P

I have liters of milk in the fridge ready to train with as I am very keen to get the best out of this new toy. Already after 10 or so jugs I am consistently making the best microfoam I have ever made. Very happy.

As for the pour,I really need a clear day to dial in my technique and spend time analysing the pours/taste.

One surprise is that I also need to allow an extra 15 mins extra in the mornings now when making the coffees to allow for mucking about...I know it will be quicker once I get used to it, but for now, I am spending plenty of extra time thinking about each step as I am not used to it yet.

Its almost a shame to just make two lattes and then stop...might have to sneak a quick shot in there as well.

Cheers guys and thanks for sharing your knowledge.

This is such a clever title for the thread - from someone who arrived at the same resolution!

Quote Originally Posted by 333E2B2B3A3330293A2D5F0 link=1251119650/5#5 date=1251203450
    I need to resist the urge to give her a quick once over with a polishing rag every time I walk past...and to think the wife was worried I would not keep it clean!Ha! I can not wait to the weekend when I can get time to sit down and really give her a good polish...the machine that is
    I polish my Galatea just about every day
    You dont think I am obsessive do you

Treat your machine right and it will reward you with great coffee :D

Congrats on the new Kit
    KK

Quote Originally Posted by 6865707061686B726176040 link=1251119650/5#5 date=1251203450
    *Ha! I can not wait to the weekend when I can get time to sit down and really give her a good polish...the machine that is *:P.
    What do people use to clean the stainless steel?

Quote Originally Posted by 747E7366657A7B6677120 link=1251119650/8#8 date=1252400155
    Quote Originally Posted by 6865707061686B726176040 link=1251119650/5#5 date=1251203450
    *Ha! I can not wait to the weekend when I can get time to sit down and really give her a good polish...the machine that is *:P.
    What do people use to clean the stainless steel?
    I use a polish that is used for automotive paint protection
    Flatwhite:- If you go to Veneziano PM me & I will give you some
    Two applications is all it needs and it will protect for 7 years

Then all thats needed is a regular wipe/polish with a microfibre cloth and my special mix of non streaking spray * :-X
    KK

I am a strange one, when I have shinny stuff, I just need to keep it that way, same with glassware. But old things, I just leave to rust away.

I was actually very disappointed with the quality of the polish on the Giotto, its like they gave up polishing 10 minutes before they were finished - typical of the Italians. There are fine spider web marks in the polish on all of the panels and particularly on the tray. To complete the polish, I used a stainless steel auto polishing paste that I got about 10 years ago and is soft like soap. You want something thats not too abrasive, I find autosol to be far too abrasive, so try a paste like Autoglym or Mothers. It really only takes 10 minutes a panel to produce a significantly better surface. Try just doing half a panel and see the difference you can make in 5 mins youll be hooked.

But you actually asked what people use to clean the stainless, not polish it. I find a soft quality 80/20 microfibre cloth (and no, they are not all the same) and plain old water is best. Thats assuming you have a decent polish as a base.

Nice toys! achievement you adore award the sweetspots - time to amend your sig!

mod edit commercial link removed. Please read site sales and posting policy

Quote Originally Posted by Koffee_Kosmo View Post
    I use a polish that is used for automotive paint protection
    Flatwhite:- If you go to Veneziano PM me & I will give you some
    Two applications is all it needs and it will protect for 7 years

Then all thats needed is a regular wipe/polish with a microfibre cloth and my special mix of non streaking spray * :-X
    KK
    Sounds as though this stuff would go well on shower screens - to stop the soap suds from adhering to the glass. Do you have any ides of this?