Thread: la cimbali junior?

la cimbali junior?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All

I have the chance to buy a la cimbali Junior that is about 10 years old and seen very little work over the last 7. *It was last serviced 5 years ago, and has been in storage the last 2. *The price is $1500 asking, which is way more than I was thinking of spending. *It is a plumbed in unit and looks in excellent condition - not a mark on it. *I presume *I wont be able to see it actually working before I buy it due to the plumbing arrangement and that it is currently living in a store room. *It was inherited by the current owner when they bought a house as it was plumbed in, and apparently they did not use it much as they found the process too tedious!!! *(they are going to by a push button wonder.... )

Before finding this one, I had been tossing up a SB 6910 or a Miss Silvia. *Basically I want great coffee, and to be able to make it for up to 10 people at a time (although usually 1 or 2 realistically), and usually for milk based drinks - which is why I leaned away towards the SB initially.

As the la cimbali is a bit of an unknown quantity and is way above what I set as my budget (now talking major grovelling to wife for permission)I would love to hear some feedback about whether or not I should grab this a run with it (come what may), or be sensible and buy one of the others. *Any ideas what a routine service should cost?

I also have the SB 0480 grinder which I presume will need a change if I bought the Junior or the Silvia?

Love any thoughts

Cheers

Re: la cimbali junior?

Hi there, those things are built like a tank! Very well made, but ive always thought of them as more of a small commercial than a home machine.The older plumb in machines were vibe pumps, not rotary as youd think with a plumb in.Id be wary of any machine thats been in storage for that long without being able to test it.Seals have a habit of drying out when not in regular use, and was it stored with water in the boiler? Could be some growth/scale build-up.Just some things to think about. Not trying to put you off - theyre great machines but just some things to think about.Cimbalis can be expensive for parts also.

Thanks Kofekitt - much appreciated advice.

I have been quoted $150 to $250 (depending on parts) for a routine service - any idea if that is about right? Also, do you know if la cimbali parts would be more expensive than other similar machines? I am leaning tentatively towards taking a punt...........

Cheers

Nick

Stating your location may lead to a recommendation of which sponsor to ask for a second quote.

Quote Originally Posted by 71564B41494E4740434149220 link=1251202987/2#2 date=1251276795
    Thanks Kofekitt - much appreciated advice. *

I have been quoted $150 to $250 (depending on parts) for a routine service - any idea if that is about right? *Also, do you know if la cimbali parts would be more expensive than other similar machines? *I am leaning tentatively towards taking a punt...........

Cheers
    Thats sounds about right, as thundergod noted a site sponser may be able to help you out. Cimbali can be more expensive, but its usually because they are very good quality commercial parts. Do you have any comeback if you purchase the machine only to find it needs major repairs?

Nick

Hi Guys

I am in Perth - centre of the coffee universe as you no doubt know! No CS sponsors I am aware of here sadly but there are 2 service centres here.

I havent broached the subject of comeback but I certainly will.

Cheers

Nick

I have one and it is fantastic. Awesome quality and great temp stability. Ive only replaced o-rings, group seal and shower screen and these parts were as cheap as any other machine. I dont have the plumbed in version though - wish I did.

I stepped up to this machine after a Silvia and that was an awesome move. I love making coffee with the Junior. The Silvia was good but having the ability to steam and pull shots at the same time - I wouldnt have it any other way now.

I didnt like the original steam tip for texturing milk especially using small jugs. I have experimented with a Faema tip to start with and had good results but the tip didnt quite fit properly and left a small space for milk to harden in. I just recently bought a new La Spaziale S1 steam arm and can recommend this conversion. Not quite perfect but close.

Another thing that is a little frustrating is the amount of cooling flushes you have to run before pulling a shot. This is only after you leave the machine on for a while. When I took my junior to a coffee function and was using if flat out, it didnt require long flushes. Having the machine plumbed in will make this problem not so bad though.

Apart from these two gripes I am very fond of the Junior. It has the potential to make stunning coffee. I didnt pay as much as the machine you are looking at but I would definitely buy it again. How good are your bargaining skills?? ;)

PM if you would like to phone me - Id be happy to run you through the Juniors strengths and weaknesses in more detail. I give you some idea of what to look for.

Cheers,

Alistair

Hi Alistair

Thanks for that feedback - really appreciate it. I managed to bargain down to $1200 and will pick it up tomorrow! I have a friendly handy man to do the plumbing as well who has said it is no problem, and there should be room in the cupboard to put a water filter as well. Yeehar!

I am going to an espresso making course tomorrow morning at Epic Cafe in Perth, and then pick the machine up in the afternoon. Hopefully it will all be up and running by the end of next week :) Cannot wait to play! My first real coffee machine!

Well done mate! Give it a good clean out, test everything works, run lots of water through boiler and give it a good backflush. Then you can hopefully make some great coffee. I would order a group seal and screen asap and learn to install yourself (very easy). I have the manual in pdf if you would like it.

All the best!

Alistair

Thanks to all who have helped so far - I have found this site a wealth of information and assistance.

I also went to an Espresso Mastery course I Perth today and tasted (and made!) my first really fantastic coffee. I think I have been well and truly bitten by the bug :) LOVED using the professional machines! 2 3 group Senessos and a La Marzzoco. Also got to use the latge Mazzer grinders..........I think my SB 0480 might need upgrading........

Cheers

Nick

Sent my "new" machine in for a service no knowing what to expect. Got the news today that it was all in very good condition other than a few things had seized up with being in storage for a couple of years and just needed some TLC - should be ready to pick up tomorrow!

Brilliant! Now that is GOOD NEWS.

I look forward to hear of your adventures in getting coffee from it.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 6D4A575D55525B5C5F5D553E0 link=1251202987/10#10 date=1251892447
    Sent my "new" machine in for a service no knowing what to expect. *Got the news today that it was all in very good condition other than a few things had seized up with being in storage for a couple of years and just needed some TLC - should be ready to pick up tomorrow!
    Thats great news.Its always a bit nerve wracking buying a machine that you cant test.Good to hear it turned out well

Frustration!!! Got my new baby back, but my plumbing isnt ready until next week! At least it is all working beautifully from what I can tell - hanging out for the first shot :)