Thread: Help with Combo

Help with Combo

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    OK so I have been reading these forums for quite some time but this is my first post so please be gentle with me.

I am taking the plunge and deciding to buy a coffee machine and a grinder.

This combo will be for me and some light entertaining of guests. My reasons so far for the choices is due to the reviews and praise of the grinder - conical burs rpm ect and for the machine its self was due to its reputation for being able to create an amazing espresso given the time and patience,the wow factor and the space which it takes up.

I have decided on the following

La Pavoni Professional Chrome Deluxe
    K10 WBC Grinder

My questions now are - is this even a good match of machine and grinder?

What else would you guys recommend in this price range - sub 4k as an alternative?

I am looking at making a purchase of this within the month and then shipping it back to Dubai where I will be living as of end of October.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Matt

Re: Help with Combo

Depending on your entertaining requirements this might not be the right machine. As there is no water tank you have to manually refill the boiler. The boiler only holds enough water for a few pulls.

Personally I would love to own one for kicks and giggles, but I doubt it would ever be my only machine. When I drag myself out of bed at six in the morning I need my coffee easy and consistent.

Compak K10s are great grinders and are very good value for the class they are in. They are big and plastic and would tower over a la Pavoni. *Aesthetically Im not sure how it would look next to Le Pav *:-/
    A Macap grinder would look great next to it, if styling is important to you.

Entertaining would be limited to minimal guests...

Styling is important hence the La Pavoni, my reason for not getting a Macap is that they are not conical but flat blades.

What machine would you have with a budget of around 3k?

My problem is that I wont really have time to see these and try in the flesh before purchase hence relying on the experienced opinions and advice from these forums......

Why is conical so important? They get talked about lots on here but that doesnt mean there is anything wrong with a flat blade grinder.
    If conical is a must have item then personally I prefer to sytling of Mazzers Kony. Macap also make a concal grinder called and MXK. A quick google image seach will give you an idea of how they all look.

Is 3k your overall budget including grinder? Most of the prosumer HX machines in the 2-3k range will be easy to use and repeatedly make excellent espresso. An E61 group Which these machines all have. imo will make a statement equal to a La Pavoni. Popular brands to look at include

Giotto
    VBM
    Diadema
    and Exobar.

Hi Matt
    Can you give us a little background on your experience with coffee making

Quote Originally Posted by 293C2B2D3114382D2D590 link=1251984446/0#0 date=1251984446
    OK so I have been reading these forums for quite some time but this is my first post so please be gentle with me.

I am taking the plunge and deciding to buy a coffee machine and a grinder.

It appears that you are reading facts without a test drive
    If I was to give you a brochure on a car and it looked great would you go and buy it without a test drive?

Obviously a lot of factors come into play but it can be an expensive exercise if you goof it up

Be prudent & try before you buy ;)

KK

Given that I work remote most of the year (10 months plus) currently I dont have the luxury of being able to test drive these machines and then decide - I will only have a few weeks in perth and then will move to dubai for good. Buying a decent machine here is a lot harder and expensive than you would think hence wanting the opinions from the people on here.

I have just odered my setup today without seeing or trying any of it
    I ended up with

K10 WBC - with Smaller hopper
    VMB Domobar Super
    Pullman tamper ect
    I believe that this will be a good entry into having a machine and grinder at home - should I be looking at upgrading in the future at least I have started part way up the ladder

Cheers for your help - once it all arrives I will post photos ect

Quote Originally Posted by 372235332F0A263333470 link=1251984446/5#5 date=1252060537
    I have just odered my setup today without seeing or trying any of it
    I ended up with

K10 WBC - with Smaller hopper
    VMB Domobar Super
    Pullman tamper ect
    I believe that this will be a good entry into having a machine and grinder at home - should I be looking at upgrading in the future at least I have started part way up the ladder

Cheers for your help - once it all arrives I will post photos ect *
    Thats a great first up set up & I am sure you will have many happy years of great coffee

Dont know how the roasting is like in Dubai What I mean by that is they may roast in a style for Turkish coffee

So you may want to look at a roaster such as a Hot Top or a Gene Cafe before you depart

All the best in Dubai
    I hope you will find the time to keep in touch

KK

As for the coffee situation in dubai - well there is not much to work with to be honest.

I had planned on ordering beans through Bean Bay pre roasted and have them sent to the olds in Perth and then they can DHL them over to me in Dubai - I know its a longer than preferred time frame but in the beginning I think it will work

KK - re your comment about buying the car without test driving it - yes I did, I also did the same for the Jet Ski and the Boat - so far it has all worked out for me!

Will be on here all the time seeking advice no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by 4A5F484E52775B4E4E3A0 link=1251984446/7#7 date=1252071254
    As for the coffee situation in dubai - well there is not much to work with to be honest.

I had planned on ordering beans through Bean Bay pre roasted and have them sent to the olds in Perth and then they can DHL them over to me in Dubai - I know its a longer than preferred time frame but in the beginning I think it will work
    I am sure Andy can post to Dubai direct send him an email to confirm

Quote Originally Posted by 4A5F484E52775B4E4E3A0 link=1251984446/7#7 date=1252071254
    KK - re your comment about buying the car without test driving it - yes I did, I also did the same for the Jet Ski and the Boat - so far it has all worked out for me!
    So have I but I knew the sales person
    Car (Honda Jazz) in Sydney me in Brisbane

Will be on here all the time seeking advice no doubt!
    Great you can start a postcard from Dubai post

KK

Surely you can get some Yemen in Dubai, Its pretty much next door.

Quote Originally Posted by 5A4247475243685A56590100370 link=1251984446/1#1 date=1251987642
    The boiler only holds enough water for a few pulls.
    not true, the professional has a 1.6L boiler, plenty for at least a dozen short blacks or half a dozen cappucinos.

matt i replied to your PM, the setup looks good. just check that dubai has the same or similar voltage to us. i also checked out the grinder youre looking at quickly just then; it looks to be easily up to the job of being matched to the pavoni :)