Thread: 110V vs 220V?

110V vs 220V?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have been operating a Bezerra Domus Galatea here in Australia for the last year, and loved it. Now, I have to move back to Canada and wondering:
    a) is it possible to easily adapt or change the internal power supply to 110V?
    b) would it affect the operations (e.g. slower to reach temperature? anything else?)

Thanks

Re: 110V vs 220V?

From what I know it is possible but too expensive (if done properly) to be worth it. Best bet is too sell and buy when you get there.

Hi,

If it was mine I would definitely take it with me and buy a step-up transformer. Quite common in the US for operating Euro machines.

eg see: http://www.home-barista.com/levers/my-new-cimbali-lever-t11063.html#p126537

Cheers
    Mokka

Having gone the other way for a stereo, Id say it is easy to do--usually just plug and play.

There is expense involved in shipping, and in buying a suitable transformer, and there is the need for a place to put the transformer. The cost needs to be balanced against any "sell old/buy replacement" difference.

It was easy to hide my transformer behind the other stereo components but it might be more difficult in a kitchen.

Id also be asking for advice on the CoffeeGeeks forum--out of Vancouver.

Greg

Site Sponsor

I been leaving in many countries already, one of my big lessons in life when cmes in electro domestics is that is better to buy locally.

The problem is where are you going to find 240v spare parts overthere, like element or preasure swicth etc.

Enclose one of the re-seller of Bezzera machihes in Canada.

https://www.caffetech.com/espresso/home/traditional/galatea-domus.html

Regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

When I moved from Canada to Oz I brought my machine with me. It worked fine but the step-down transformer was a few hundred dollars, larger than expected and looked chunky sitting on the bench top. I shipped the machine because it was a wedding present from family but if it didnt have some sentimental value I think I would have been better off selling it before departure and then purchasing something new on arrival. The exchange rate is back up to around .93 right now and machines tend to cost less so that will help a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 123F0914372422393A3F560 link=1252465800/4#4 date=1252480902
    I been leaving in many countries already, one of my big lessons in life when cmes in electro domestics is that is better to buy locally.

The problem is where are you going to find 240v spare parts overthere, like element or preasure swicth etc.

Enclose one of the re-seller of Bezzera machihes in Canada.

https://www.caffetech.com/espresso/home/traditional/galatea-domus.html

Regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre
    Woah... espresso machines are cheap (comparatively) over there but, weirdly, grinders are not.

You will probably run into troubles - a standard 110V outlet is only rated to 15A, so you can only pull 1650W. Many 240V machines are over this...

Best to buy locally.

Thanks to everyone for the many interesting points of view!

I have gone the 220V to 110V step down transformer for electronics when I came to Australia, and although it does the job, as Greg pointed out, it comes with a price in terms of esthetics and bulk (and heat!)...

Since my wife would like a slightly more automatic operation, while Id like to preserve the flexibility of a more manual setup, I might consider La Spaziales Mini Vivaldi II * :D

If theres anyone who might be interested in the Bezzera, drop me a note, Ill let friends know its for sale :)