Thread: Well well, how do you do, in new here in this section!

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Well well, how do you do, in new here in this section!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello everyone,
    Well i must say as i walk into this section of "pointy end" i must say im very happy to have made the trip up from the midrange section, some may say i was promoted too soon(my missus ::))but i think i have done my time at the lower ranks with 18months on the silvia!

The other day i sent my lovely girlfriend a text message, asking her if i could buy a GPP, as i had been given an offer i could not refuse, I had a laugh, as i anticipated i got the following response, "hey honey, not a question to ask in a text message, well talk later xxoo" ;D , i was expecting it but it was worth a try ::)

Anywho, Serge from Gobarista has come up with the goods and made me an offer i could not refuse, so we said yes serge we will take the GPP and Best, i was given one condition by my missus, sell everything coffee you have to get it, i managed to talk her into keeping the pullmand and synesso double for the next machine 8-)

I should be picking it all up on Monday arvo, will supply shiney pics!

Thanks for the applauding welcome in advance
    :D(stoked to be here!)

Re: Well well, how do you do, in new here in this section!

Congrats. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I gave you full points for enthusiastically updating your sig before fully achieving GPP-dom. :We are happy to provide you with interim membership. ;D

Im sure this is going to be a l-o-ng- weekend spent in anticipation.

Also sounds like there will soon be happy CSers in possession of a pre-loved Silvia/Rocky combo

Hey flynn,
    cheers for the interim membership! I had a laugh, yes i was keen to change my sig, ive wanted to upgrade for some time now, its funny, ya buy a machine, think its all youll ever need then upgraditis hits you.....again.....and again, this time its done for good the GPP will hold me happy for years to come, ill see how the BEST goes though.....got it so so cheap i couldnt say no,
    oh and yes, the weekend, it will be a long one, sold the silvia yesterday, its gone, all im left with is an empty corner and some coffee bags.......and whole beans, forgot to grind some before i offloaded the rocky :( so i cant even make any fresh coffee bags!
    yep the guy who bought the silvia is taking it in for his workplace, very generous to have a PIDed silvia in the office for the boys! :)
    Cheers
    warren

Quote Originally Posted by 1410362F2F2A35222D430 link=1252629872/2#2 date=1252636757
    ya buy a machine, think its all youll ever need then upgraditis hits you
    Unfortunately for me, at least two of the machines Ive bought before the GPP have been with an eye on a Pointy end. I thought Id hang on to my last machine longer but - well, like you, I was given an offer too good to refuse.

Gra

I though the last one was my last one!!!!But now I am here I can see light at the end of the tunnel ;D ;D For now any way hahaha.

Come on Monday ;D ;D ;D

Its the deep end for me from the get go on the espresso machine side of things
    But grinders are another matter
    I am on my third grinder upgrade

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 5E6B78190 link=1252629872/4#4 date=1252643109
    Come on Monday
    oh, tell me about it! :(

Quote Originally Posted by 52767F7F7C7C4652766A7476190 link=1252629872/5#5 date=1252649129
    I am on my third grinder upgrade
    yeah this will be my 3rd, 4th if you count the little spice grinder! ;), dont know if ill be happy with the "best", only time will tell, as i said i got if for literally next to nothing, so worst case, sell and upgrade! :) to M4D or the like....

I dont really even belong in this section at the moment, i really should be in the "$0-$10 - Unemployed coffee owners" section as all i have at this very point in time is a plunger, whole beans and no grinder! *;D

The better half is prodding me to sell the M4D

I must have done a great sell job of the Mazzer Major. She does not mind the robust size of it

KK

Thats a hell of a sales job there KK, nice work! ;)

and welcome aboard to the pointy end WSully :D

Oh and additional bonus points awarded for attempting the extremely difficult "ask for permission via SMS" move.

Some have perished just trying it! I applaud your attempt

*claps* ;D

Caff.

Caffeine Junky

In the last 5 months I have purchased (in order):

1. SB EM4800
    2. SB EM6910
    3. SB EM0480
    4. Quaha Napoletana II (built-in grinder)
    5. Mokita Combi (built-in grinder)
    6. Isomac Granmacinino
    7. Compak K3 Elite
    8. Rocket Giotto

Sold 1,3,5 & 6. Have kept 4, 7 & 8.
    2 is at the SB service centre awaiting a repair quote (theyve had it 3 weeks already).

Quote Originally Posted by 65646E7D63667C0F0 link=1252629872/9#9 date=1252653346
    In the last 5 months I have purchased (in order):

1. SB EM4800
    2. SB EM6910
    3. SB EM0480
    4. Quaha Napoletana II (built-in grinder)
    5. Mokita Combi (built-in grinder)
    6. Isomac Granmacinino
    7. Compak K3 Elite
    8. Rocket Giotto

Sold 1,3,5 & 6. *Have kept 4, 7 & 8.
    2 is at the SB service centre awaiting a repair quote (theyve had it 3 weeks already).
    Avidly waiting to hear what will become 9 and 10 on your list. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 585C7A636366796E610F0 link=1252629872/0#0 date=1252629872
    Serge from Gobarista has come up with the goods
    Hes a nice guy too. Say hello to him for me and congrats on your upgrade! :)

With Upgraditis like that I will wait to see the next purchase :o

Quote Originally Posted by 79585353544E3D0 link=1252629872/10#10 date=1252653964
    Hes a nice guy too.Say hello to him for me and congrats on your upgrade!
    Will do den, and thanks :)

Quote Originally Posted by 3531170E0E0B14030C620 link=1252629872/6#6 date=1252649870
    all i have at this very point in time is a plunger, whole beans and no grinder! *;D
    And here I am with my regular home setup and warrens previous home setup sitting on my bench for the weekend and drinking warrens delicious home roast.

Theres no shortage of capacity for coffee producing at the fancypants household this weekend.

I feel for you man.

Well well fancy pants!, thats a lovely silvia you have there! ps should have given you the container for that click clack lid! I had a laugh now i have it hanging around!

Now, to my Update!

She has arrived!, my lovely Giotto Premium Plus and Best Grinder is here from the lovely Serge from Go Barista!, and as Flynn suggested.....i have now achieved full GPP-dom ;D

Serge pulled it all out of the box for me and gave me a quick run down on what was what, My initial impressions where......WOW, now thats a machine!
    I took her home, unpacked her, filled her up, turned her on and gave her a prime and let her warm up for a while(bout 30mins)
    Had a play with the "best" grinder whilst i was waiting for the GPP to warm, coming from a Rocky i was blown away by the grind speed and the larger dose, very impressed with the looks, but almost amused by the gap between the doser and teh body of teh grinder where grinds get stuck......what the? a bit of clear silicone will fix it but seriously...what the! anyhow not overly concerned as its an easy fix
    The GPP was warm now so i proceeded ,throwing in some beans, adjusted to get a decent grind, dose, tap, distribute, level, tamp, lock and pull into a hot espresso cup and taste, bit too fast so 1 click on the Best and gave it another go, and WOW, so so so sweet!, i couldnt believe it!, i had the PIDed silvia and i thought it produced sweet shots but WOW! :o,
    Poured another 2 shots steaming milk at the same time 8-)(sorry just love mentioning that!) he he same time, (such a novelty coming from a silvia!) poured in the average milk, taste and OMG :o that is an amazing difference! Now i really know what you are all truly on about with regards to high notes and true body!
    I poured another with the double synesso basket and single PF, and streached the milk(beautiful microfoam this time! so easy with this machine), but what a pain that single PF is!, i dont have a tamp stand though, anyone good with a cutter of some description and wants to earn some spare change? AM? ;), i want to change it into a naked to check distro and so it will take a triple too!
    Im now siting at work missing my GPP like crazy! Im so happy with the purchase and so is the missus!, cant wait to get home and have a play all afternoon and all night long!
    cheers to all who guided me on my upgrade journey!, bottoms up!

Arise, Sir Tampsalot and take your position at the Round table
    ( ::) apologies to the non-GPP owners)

You might want to consider buying a separate naked rather than hacking up your single. On the few occasions I have used it, I tamp by resting the bowl of the single grouphandle on the edge of the bench rather than the spout.

Quote Originally Posted by 68627760606F7B7D0E0 link=1252629872/15#15 date=1252978305
    You might want to consider buying a separate naked rather than hacking up your single.
    Nah dont really care for the single, and dont really see a use for it, it will achieve the same single shot as naked, plus i get to check my distribution too, i had a naked for the silvia and loved it, taught me alot but i sold it with the silvia to fancy pants. Got any hacksaw blades Flynn? ;)

brett230873

I hacked my second handle using a jigsaw (metal cutting blade) and a Dremel to tidy it up. Best thing Ive ever done for $0 extra outlay. I swap the blind filter between the handles depending which Im using so I can conveniently backflush. This system works brilliantly becasue I drink doppio ristretti most of the time and love the look of the naked... um... handle...um....blush...

I use my single spout handle all the time...... its what my blind filter sits in ;D

Great stuff WSully!!

Im the other way around.... ::)

Rarely use the Double GH for its intended purpose, 95% of the time use the Single as we dont dont drink single shots around here so no point in using a GH that splits the shot. Only the Naked or the Single..... 8-)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 40504756561011121A1511220 link=1252629872/17#17 date=1252987480
    I hacked my second handle using a jigsaw (metal cutting blade) and a Dremel to tidy it up. *Best thing Ive ever done for $0 extra outlay. *I swap the blind filter between the handles depending which Im using so I can conveniently backflush. *This system works brilliantly becasue I drink doppio ristretti most of the time and love the look of the naked... um... handle...um....blush...
    got a pic of that brett, interested to see how it turned out

cheers
    warren

EDIT: Found some info on home barista, ill do it tonight!

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 202A3F2828273335460 link=1252629872/15#15 date=1252978305
    On the few occasions I have used it, I tamp by resting the bowl of the single grouphandle on the edge of the bench rather than the spout.
    I was taught this techique when I did the Sunbeam course. I now use it all the time, even with the double spout. I find it easier to get my tamping level using this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by 517C787479150 link=1252629872/19#19 date=1253002281
    Rarely use the Double GH for its intended purpose, 95% of the time use the Single as we dont dont drink single shots around here so no point in using a GH that splits the shot. Only the Naked or the Single..... 8-)
    Ive taken to splitting the double and having a single morning short black and using the other single shot in my milk based drink.