Thread: Minore III gone nuts

DM

Minore III gone nuts

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

got an expobar minore III which is misbehaving - instead of the temp staying really stable (95-97 with a setpoint of 96), it is ranging between 94 and 102! Anyone seen this before?

It is still under warranty, so Ill give expobar a call and see if I can take it somewhere in Adelaide to get it serviced - has anyone seen this behaviour before?

DM

Re: Minore III gone nuts

I cant help but I will watch this one with interest as I have this machine on my short list.
    Regards
    Crisp Image

DM

Grr. Doesnt look like the australian expobar website has a phone number on it (or Im being blind-er than usual...)! However, they do have a web form... well see how that goes.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 020B460 link=1252809228/2#2 date=1252900344
    Grr. Doesnt look like the australian expobar website has a phone number on it (or Im being blind-er than usual...)! However, they do have a web form... well see how that goes.

Hi DM, assuming no leak, reset the controller on your machine. Switch the machine off and then hold the up arrow on the controller and switch it on again. Wait 30 seconds and then switch the machine off and on again.

Let me know how you go...

Chris

Assuming o

DM

Dont think its leaking; Ill give this a go tonight and see what happens. Is there a proper manual for the controller on the III somewhere?

Cheers

DM

Yay! Works! Thanks so much!!!

However, presumably this will have undone the calibration that JetBlack did for me when I purchased the machine? According to the report they gave me, the machine came from the factory with a 10[ch8304]C offset between the boiler temp and the brew temp, but they measured it as 8[ch8304]C and configured the PID appropriately. I dont have a thermocouple handy right now (although I think I may be able to borrow one from my wifes work - guess Ill need to get a spare basket and hack that as well) - how do I reprogram the offset?

The other thing is... why would the PID lose its marbles like that???

Cheers,

David

Site Sponsor

Hi David,

PM sent.

charlie

Mines just had the same problem... reading between about 100 and 111 but fluctuating. The brains of the PID were still working OK as it wasnt heating, the group was just warm; I cranked the setpoint up to 105 (max) and when it dropped below that for a bit the heater did come on for a bit so it looked like some kind of dirty input signal. Sure enough, played around with the wires going into the thermocouple on the top of the brew boiler and suddenly it dropped down to 75, 80, 72, 95 etc.

I was running the pump for quite a while before this calibrating my pressure gauge bleed valve and had to refill the tank but I cant imagine any connection between this and a dicky wire.

Fortunately still got about 2 months of warranty left!

Greg

Update... sounds like this isnt unique to my machine - Mark Barun from The Coffee Barun said hed just fixed another Minore III thatd done the same thing. This is where those with a HX machine sit back and smile smugly at the childish simplicity with which their machine is built! This definitely is one of the potential disadvantages of a dual boiler machine that utilises digital electronics (rather than thermostats) for temperature control.

Hopefully mine will be back in action by the end of the week, but in the meantime the Aeropress will continue to serve me well!

Quote Originally Posted by 6471666473766F6F6E626D030 link=1252809228/8#8 date=1259580456
    This is where those with a HX machine sit back and smile smugly at the childish simplicity with which their machine is built!
    *Looks smugly at his Expobar Leva remembering that hed decided against all that fan dangled electronic hocus-pocus*

Any more news on problems fellas? all sorted? Im heading towards one of these, but want to be sure it will be a good ride.

Quote Originally Posted by 232F3A3A11062B2222372F3C4E0 link=1252809228/10#10 date=1259721800
    Any more news on problems fellas? all sorted? Im heading towards one of these, but want to be sure it will be a good ride.
    All in all Matt,

These are very minor issues mate, easily solved and put to bed. I wouldnt let it put you off investing in one of these machines. Especially if youre the type of bloke who likes to move from one coffee varietal to another quite frequently and loves to tinker until the perfect Brew Water Temperature is found for each coffee. The Minore III is perfect for that scenario.... 8-)

Mal.