Thread: HX cycle time ..... is ?

HX cycle time ..... is ?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Im looking a getting a HX machine possibly a BFC junior , or *a VBM Super lever*or similar and I noticed a friend had a BFC *and it was turning on and off every 40-50 seconds with a loud dull clunky click every time.

Is this the norm for these machines...? Can they be fiddled with to go longer between cycles.
    I found it a little annoying.

cheers

Re: HX cycle time ..... is ?

Hi there, youre friends machine may have had a sirai pressurestat.Theyre a very good quality commercial pressurestat, but can be a little noisy.Ive had a machine with one in the past and every time it clicked i kept thinking something had broken! Only a problem till you get used to it.Most home machines will come with a quieter mater or jaeger pressurestat which are a lot quieter, but not quite as good quality.Some do have an adjustable cycle time or deadband, but i doubt youd want to change it as these pressurestats are alot quiter than the sirai.
    The Vibiemme super has another type of pressurestat, a parker i believe.I have no experience with these, but they are a commercial pressurestat, so may be similar to the sirai.Your best option is to try before you buy.

The cycle time on my VBM is about 2 minutes, with about a 10-15 second heating time. The pressuresatat is loud - a sign of nice big electrical contacts! - but you get used to it.

The only ways to increase the cycle time would be to fit a worse (wider range) pressurestat, or to lower the boiler temperature. Neither would be beneficial to good coffee...

Of course, if you could rig up a PID controller and a solid state relay, you could get rid of the clicking...

Thanks for the info ...... looks like I might buy it, the BFC Junior semi-auto , got it at home now sorting it out ...... 16 months old, appears to be a big solid jigger.

Running too hot , with too much boiler pressure. But I do like the look and feel of it.

Cheers

well Ive had this thing for a month now and it performs very well. I still wish the p/stat was a bit quieter.... I have lowered the guage pressure to 1.1 (and a tad) and it is cycling 50 sec off / 6 sec on.

From what I can gather this would appear to be an expected norm for these machines...... ( could a fellow Diademia /BFC junior owner confirm)

Cheers
    hotshod

Yep,

Thats pretty close to spot-on mate.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 3B3C27203B3C37530 link=1253021027/4#4 date=1255853086
    I have lowered the gauge pressure to 1.1
    Hi hotshod,

Ive the same machine... and mine is running at 1.2 bar. How many turn of the presurestat (presumably to the "-" direction) did it take to reduce down to 1.1 bar? I read some where it was about 6 half turns?

Regards
    Merr1

Merr1 .....

The screw adjustment from 1.2 to 1.1 was approx 1/4 to 1/3 rd of a turn in an anti-clockwise direction...... adjustment was done after it had thoroughly warmed up and poured some shots ..... 90+ min
    It is very easy to fine tune.

Cheers
    Greg
    (hotshod)