Thread: Work machine $1500-$2000 max

Work machine $1500-$2000 max

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Our faithful Saeco at work (34,000 coffees and counting) looks like it might finally be giving up. In one way Im delighted, as the coffee it pushes out is far from great even with superb fresh beans, but in another Im dreading that the next machine wont be as reliable. Its only had three services in its life.

The expectations for the office are:

A reliable machine
    Inbuilt grinder
    Steam wand (or inbuilt)
    Easy-clean

My expectations are: good coffee.

Suggestions please? Although Ive heard nice things about Jura, theyre not from people whove actually drunk from several types of machines.

Re: Work machine $1500-$2000 max

Quote Originally Posted by 7F5842535A5A5F525346425E360 link=1253190307/0#0 date=1253190307
    My expectations are: good coffee.

Suggestions please? Although Ive heard nice things about Jura, theyre not from people whove actually drunk from several types of machines. *
    Weve had the Jura at work for 8 months, supposedly a better machine than the Saeco or Delonghi. Coffee is OK, we use home roasted beans. The problem is there is no steam wand. The milk steamer is hopeless, you generally end up with lukewarm coffee with froth on top. Milk gets sucked up via a tube from the jug, and "sprayed" into the cup of coffee. *:(
    You can never get tube clean.
    Even though you can adjust the amount of water and the strength of the coffee it tends to be a bit watery.
    I have A VBM at home and I would rather drive home and have a decent coffee than waste my time with the Jura.

You get what you pay for. *;)

We had a Jura X7 at work, and even with quality beans from Mark Barun, it wasnt great coffee.

The lease company has upgraded us to the X9, but insists on their stale beans.

So I use an Aeropress/Kyocera, and heat the milk in the microwave.

Good luck with your search.

Greg

We have an X7 here at work too and I know what you mean Greg. No manner of adjustment seems to produce a passable espresso. With milk-based drinks its ...just okay (as long as you steam the milk yourself and avoid the terrible auto-frother).

Its also noisy as HELL! Click, groan, clack clack, groan (like me getting out of bed on a cold morning frankly). I really feel for the poor guy whos office is right next to the break-out room

Ive started drinking more tea at work.....

Re the OP, buying a machine thats accessible enough for everyone in an office to use is always going to come with a compromise. I have yet to hear of any machine of this type that stands head and shoulders above the rest. Good luck with your search

Caffeine Junky

I believe there are only 2 reasonable options for the workplace:

1. Spend $500-&1200 on a decent grinder that will last for years. Use quality beans to make plunger coffee. Easy to use, low maintenance & relatively easy clean up. People can have their own individual plungers so theres no argument about cleaning.

2. Buy a manual machine and have one person dedicated to maintenance of the machine & training of other staff on using it.

We use the latter option at our work place, and naturally, yours truly is the sucker who does all the work. *Its a lot of work but worth it for decent coffee.

We just purchased a Jura machine for work and in all honesty while its not a patch on the giotto at home, its not trying to be. But for what it does and the number of people it services it does a reasonable job.
    I supply the beans so i know they are fresh and the double shot produces a smooth espresso.
    Certainly not in the same league as a manual but then you shouldnt be comparing the two either. And much more acceptable than instant.

Mal

Thanks everyone for your candid feedback.