Thread: Newbie looking for help on where to start.

Newbie looking for help on where to start.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Greetings one and all.

New on the forum and the world of good home coffee.

I am now in the process of purchasing a home setup. As we are normally drink milk based drinks, and the little one loves baby caps, I have established that I will need to look at some form of HX machine.

Looking at the base end of the scale, it appears that I am looking at either the Nouva Simonelli Oscar or Expobar Office SA. Are there any other machines in the same range I should be looking at?

Also, reading the reviews of both machines, I can see a relatively large number of Oscar reviews on other sites, but these seem scarce here on coffeesnobs. Is there a reason they dont seem to be as popular down under? Are there any problems I need to be aware of? (aside from the plastic shell, which appears to be more an aesthetic problem, and one that Im not overly concerned about).

Also, how does one go abouts doine research on the machines since they are rarely sold by the same retail outlet to do a comparison,. Also, where abouts in Brisbane would I be able to actually see said machines? We dont seem to be as well catered for with regards to retail outlets are Sydney and Melbourne seem to be.

Finally, what grinder should I be using to pair up to said machines?

As for budget, it is a matter of what I need and then using that to determine when I can purchase :) Although I need to qualify this point with the note that while everyone has a dream machine, I would like to purchase a home set up before the end of the millenium :)

Thanks in advance for any help

Re: Newbie looking for help on where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by 3A23262325560 link=1254615533/0#0 date=1254615533
    Looking at the base end of the scale, it appears that I am looking ateither the Nouva Simonelli Oscar or Expobar Office SA. Are there any other machines in the same range I should be looking at?
    Hi & welcome lupus *;)
    Bezzera BZ99 is great value built to near commercial specs

Quote Originally Posted by 3A23262325560 link=1254615533/0#0 date=1254615533
    Also, where abouts in Brisbane would I be able to actually see said machines? We dont seem to be as well catered for with regards to retail outlets are Sydney and Melbourne seem to be.
    Barazi is in Coopers Plains
    Thats where I got my machine but they mainly have Bezzera & Silvia machines + some quality used machines

KK

Hey lupus

(House fan by any chance? :))

Ive found, unfortunately, its difficult to do side-by-side comparisons in Brisbane; most places seem to stock one or two brands at best.

That said, Di Bella in Bowen Hills have an Oscar in their training room, alongside Isomacs and colourful La Nuova Era Cuadras. (I think thats what theyre called-- QCMS sells them also.) Veneziano in West End are due to start selling Oscars, but didnt have them last time I was there a couple of weeks ago. Both places have other machines and grinders and accessories to obsess over. Both are great places just to hang out for the coffee, as well.

Theres at least one place in Brisbane that sells Expobars, but its not polite to mention non-sponsors in the threads. I will say that Coffee Roasters Australia --and the Yellow Pages--were very helpful pointing me in the right direction.

Good luck in your search.

Cheers,

Danny M

Koffee Kosmo
    Many thanks for the reply :) Yet another machine to do comparisons with :) Is the Bz99 an outdated model? I notice on the Coffeegeeks review site someone in 2003 did a review that indicated that the Bz99 was being replaced? But its good to see another place to check out in Brissie

Egalite
    Am a house fan :) But the nick isnt from that.

The name lupus for the disease/condition comes from the rash on the face that gives suffers a supposedly wolf like appearance (I could never see it myself :) )

Hence the nick lupus is for wolf :D

Thanks for the other names. You know, I work up the road from Di Bella and have never made it inside. Need to make time.

Also noted Veneziano from Bean Scene and was planning to visit this weekend, but little one wasnt up to a trip out, so will be delayed till later.

But thanks to both of you for local suggestions for places to check out the machines locally. Was a little disappointed when comparing the number of places to find coffee machines in Melb and Syd compared with Brissie, but perhaps its not as bad as I thought :)

Quote Originally Posted by 263F3A3F394A0 link=1254615533/3#3 date=1254639622
    Many thanks for the reply Smiley Yet another machine to do comparisons with Smiley Is the Bz99 an outdated model? I notice on the Coffeegeeks review site someone in 2003 did a review that indicated that the Bz99 was being replaced? But its good to see another place to check out in Brissie
    I have seen 15 yr old BZ99s still working as if new (these machines are built like tanks)

I believe the BZ99 in its Australian spec is still a model that will be carried
    Bezzera will also guarantee

* Guaranteed 100% Parts Availability
    * Guaranteed Free Lifetime Product Support
    * Guaranteed 50% Trade-in in 5 Years

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 2C35303533400 link=1254615533/3#3 date=1254639622
    Am a house fanBut the nick isnt from that.
    I should have known. "Its never lupus!"

Ahem. Back on topic...

The Bezzeras are indeed beautifully made, and well worth a look.

This might sound like blasphemy, but is worth considering: Starting out on their coffee journey, some people find they dont have the temperament to learn and keep learning, and become frustrated with their inability to immediately pull God shots with their expensive new equipment. The Bezzeras guaranteed resale value makes them pretty safe bets if you think you might stray back to the café after a couple of months. And Barazi have second hand models from around the $1200 mark--even cheaper than Oscars. :)

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Danny M

Since I have two esteemed Brisbane CS online, might I enquire what you both are doing with regards to water filtration/softening?

Having come from down south, I find Brissie water fairly hard and am sure it willl give the boiler problems in the long term. Are either of you using kits purchased from sponsors down south? Or do local stores offer similiar services? Or just local filtration companies

Planning on doing more research on the Bezerras this week (More digging through the forum :) )

Also hope to hit Veneziano next weekend (I hope, as Ill be in Sydney for work Wednesday to Saturday) Dont suppose anyone knows any great coffee places in central Syd? :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 475E5B5E582B0 link=1254615533/6#6 date=1254648567
    Since I have two esteemed Brisbane CS online, might I enquire what you both are doing with regards to water filtration/softening?

Having come from down south, I find Brissie water fairly hard and am sure it willl give the boiler problems in the long term. Are either of you using kits purchased from sponsors down south? Or do local stores offer similiar services? Or just local filtration companies

Planning on doing more research on the Bezerras this week (More digging through the forum :) *)

Also hope to hit Veneziano next weekend (I hope, as Ill be in Sydney for work Wednesday to Saturday) Dont suppose anyone knows any great coffee places in central Syd? :)
    As to Sydney - See the Location topics..

As to water - Been said a dozen times... And posted lots more..

1: Bombora and a few Sponsors can assist..

2: I use a basic 2 stage filter and a Softener.. This is installed under my sink and easy to fit... I also try to change my cartridges a head of time... When I remember..

Note: My Coffee machine is not plumbed.

3: Nothing over the top or too $$$$ But is all ya need... Could get a full portable RO unit from work, but would then have to RE charge and put all the good stuff back in that the RO took out... False econ if ya ask me...

4: Sponsors and or on line... Not expensive and works well..

Quote Originally Posted by 766F6A6F691A0 link=1254615533/6#6 date=1254648567

Planning on doing more research on the Bezerras this week *
    If visiting Barazi I know they sell Bombora water filter kits
    I think Veneziano also sell a kit but not sure of the brand

KK