Thread: Steam on MinoreIII

Steam on MinoreIII

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So I have had my minoreIII for about nearly 2 weeks now and I have got some good, no make that great coffee from it. I was wondering from you monnire owners if the steaming power could be improved. I have the 2 hole steam tip and the gauge sayse that it is 0.9 bar at the end of the heating cycle.
    would going to a 3 hole tip indrease the steam and reduce the time to texture milk. I generally use a 1 litre jug and fill just below the spout which makes 2 milk based drinks in the cups we have.
    Am I wishing for too much? It is a whloe lot better than the SB6910.
    I would be intrested in your coments.
    Regards
    Crisp Image

Re: Steam on MinoreIII

Never used a MinoreIII but that seems like a fairly low steam boiler pressure? The advantage of being a double-boiler is that you should be able to dial up the pressurestat. Someone else will know.

BUT, I reckon a 1 litre jug is always going to be less successful and (more importantly) less fun than a smaller jug. Who cares if it take a little longer; at least you get twice as much steaming practice and double the latte art potential! Just my opinion.

Cheers
    Stuart.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Hey Crisp,
    I had a similar issue only a few weeks ago on the Giotto, and asked a very similar question, i was made to realise that it is still a domestic machine, be it "high end" and if i wanted endless steam, then get a 7lt boiler machine, in reality, even if im pumping out the milk drinks, 2 at a time, i cant keep up with the machine, and im not saying im the fastest little home barista in the world, but i do alright. ::)

Someone said this, If you are over half filling a 1lt jug for 2 drinks (around 500ml), then with the shot, prolly a double anyway, but with the shot, your looking at a 280ml drink (30ml coffee, 250ml milk) and thats a big coffee! :o, so in reality, 30ml plus say 200ml milk max would require 400ml of milk to be steamed (it will still produce a 230ml milk drink which is still big!), which i would imaging the minore III would eat for breakfast.

Have a think about the size of the drinks you are making, i really didnt think practically when i started my thread, more on a max capability level, and discovered, that my machine recovered faster than i could make em.......i wasnt using the machine as it was intended,

I can now make milk based drinks for limitless people quite fast, without a hickup, now that i realised its not like a car. ;)

I was looking at the minore III too when i was making my final list, it sure was an attractive package, hope you love it!

cheers mate

So I measure my usuall cups to figure out what volume I am using. It seems that the usuall ones are 250ml and the larger ones are 300ml.
    I guess there might be a shopping trip to get some vessels that are around the 200ml area.
    I do like the Minore and it does keep up with me (I am from the country so dont move so fast) so there is no problem with running out of steam while there is water in the tank.
    I still think that steam presure is a little low and have contacted my suplier for advice.
    I just wanted input from my friends on CS.
    Regards
    Crisp Image

Almost all our cups are 240-250mL. I like that size personally. But it needs a double shot for me, which means for us it makes sense to do 1 x double shot, steam 200mL milk, pour sweet art; repeat for 2nd (and subsequent) coffees. I think we had a 400mL jug and a 300mL jug but the 400mL was a lot easier for that amount of milk.

Let us know what the Giotto tech says!
    Cheers
    Stuart.

Itll be fine - youll be able to steal 4L of milk or more before it starts flagging, not 400ml! This is common to all the HX machines in this price range, as well as the Minore III

We decided to have an afternoon of coffee and chocolate and invited some friends around. Counting the pucks I server over 20coffees and about a dozen hot cocs.
    Might I say that our girl kept up with me all the way. I even had a local traineir in the hospitality industry here and he was impressed with her too.
    A great afternnon was had by all especially our minoreIII and the grinder with the doser worked a treat. Not too much mess on the bench to clean up after all those coffees.
    So Happy with our choice.
    Regards
    Crisp Image

awesome CI, thats exactly the way that i realised that it didnt matter, making back to back coffees till the cows come home, thats the proof that its fit for purpose!,

good to hear ya happy!

cheers
    warren

I was somewhat surprised at how slow it was with steaming. It took 40 seconds to heat the same amount of water as Id use milk for two lattes; quicker than the Silvia by about 12 seconds, but slower than my Veneziano A2 by about 20 seconds (OK 14L boiler to a 1.7L but still, I thought the Minore would be quicker than it is). Maybe Ill try fiddling with the boiler pressure one day...

Quote Originally Posted by 0A27262D372A373A430 link=1255516986/5#5 date=1255587890
    Itll be fine - youll be able to steal 4L of milk or more before it starts flagging, not 400ml! This is common to all the HX machines in this price range, as well as the Minore III
    ??? steam 4 lt of milk? please explain? (paulene hansen voice inserted here) ;)

TC

Im with WSully. I very much doubt that any machine in this category will texture 4L milk without a break. Youd want a commercial sized boiler for that. What they will do is pull shots and texture milk for 2 coffees pretty much continuously.

2mcm

Crisp....I find on my II that it will steam at 1-1.1bar if i let it purge for 4-5sec before steaming milk.
    2 hole wand has been great