Thread: Problem with Minore III

Problem with Minore III

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, This is my first post on Coffee Snobs although I have been using it as a resource for a year now. I bought an Expobar Minore III at the beginning of this year. This is also my first machine so youll have to excuse me if I dont sound knowledgeable.

Any way to the problem. Ill try to explain how it happened as best as I can. Firstly I had it on all day yesterday and it was stable and worked just fine. After I had finished for the day I turned the machine off but then remembered I needed to backflush it so I turned it back on. I proceeded to backflush the machine 3 times. After this I took the group handle with the blind filter out of the group and ran water through the group by fully opening the lever and activating the pump. The water came out with much increased pressure like there is too much pressure inside. The PID is reading 92C at this point.

I had a similar problem 2 months ago except the temperature was also going off the scale at 98C to 102C. I was told that this happened because I played around with the PID and set the high point too high and burnt out a heating element. This time around I have not touched the PID, Nor will I ever from now on.

I know now I bit off more than I could chew with this machine being a novice and all so If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Problem with Minore III

Quote Originally Posted by 52767C777E7A737B651F0 link=1255971958/0#0 date=1255971958
    I was told that this happened because I played around with the PID and set the high point too high and burnt out a heating element.
    Sounds a bit over the top to me.

Was the person that told you the same one that sold it to you (no names)?

I have the Leva, same as yours without the PID (give or take).
    These machines are simple and solid.

Where are you located so we can recommend someone to look at it?

Why would they design a PID with user adjustability if it was designed to not be adjusted? :-? I dont think you bit off more than you can chew, it sounds more like a faulty machine and faulty advice about what you can and cant do.

Describe your backflushing process a bit more. Are you saying you removed the portafilter from the machine, then activated the lever to run water through the group and found it coming out under more pressure? Do you know what the gauges on the machine were doing at this time?

Greg

I didnt notice what the gauges were doing when I took the porta filter out but when I back-flushed it goes to about 11bar. I did it three times with cafetto in the blind filter.

Quote Originally Posted by 5045525047425B5B5A5659370 link=1255971958/2#2 date=1256556897
    Are you saying you removed the group handle from the machine, then activated the lever to run water through the group and found it coming out under more pressure? *
    Yes I removed the group handle from the machine and opened up the lever as I was about to clean the group by jiggling the porta filter around with some water coming out.

I put fresh water in the tank and turned it on the next day. After an hour I came back to it and noticed the PID jumping from 92 to 96 degrees but I didnt think to look at the gauges though.

And yes the person who sold it to me told me it was because I played with the PID, and I did not knowing what or how to as the manual sucks big time so I believe them. Still it was repaired under warranty anyway.

I have since returned it to the retailer and they have sent it to Melbourne anyway where from what I hear nearly everything inside has been replaced.

It seems like every time I take it home and use it there it stuffs up. I had this idea in my head a while ago that it was because the machine is on a slightly uneven surface. Thinking back I have also not charged the water softeners I have used thinking that charging them is only if theyre used up or blocked. I have also had my power points tested and they are nominal. Maybe it gets so full of scale real quick or maybe its the filtered tap water I use. How can I be that unlucky to get a faulty machine especially since these machines are supposed to be top quality?

Its a great machine and makes great coffee but I cant take much more of this and neither can my back. Im going to see if Im entitled to a refund or exchange for a smaller single boiler machine, otherwise Ill have to sell it another way perhaps to someone on this site who is technically inclined.

Anyway thanks for the replies so far I may or may not be able to check back here too often with the hot weather here lately. My PC could blow up, no joke :).

Hang in there .... It will all be worth it in the end

Where are you located BD?

A CSer with a technical background may be able to come around and help out..... :)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D09030801050C041A600 link=1255971958/3#3 date=1257104639
    Thinking back I have also not charged the water softeners I have used thinking that charging them is only if theyre used up or blocked.
    Water filters depending on there size and the water quality in your area should be changed every 6 to 12 months

KK

you should consider having it replaced like you said, you have consumer rights and if the machine fails to perform as it should you should be able to have it sorted out porperly.

start documenting all the issues and ask for "receipts" even though it may be warranty work. If things turn pear shaped you need a documented paper trial.

hopefully it all comes good, my Karma has got a bit lost this week :( so i am being pessimistic...

Leeham