Thread: New to coffee snobs and new Giotto owner

New to coffee snobs and new Giotto owner

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey there everyone,

I am new to the forum though I have been using all the info here to help with choosing my new machine for sometime.

On Tuesday I spoke with Denis from talk coffee. I was considering the Minore iii but after some lengthy discussions with dennis, decided the Giotto premium would be best suited to us. I Have a new Giotto and a Compak 3T on its way to me. Soooo excited.

I have spent over 2 years having a love hate relationship with my Sunbeam EM6900. I am so excited about getting a "real" machine now. We love the art of making espressos and are looking forward to mastering our New machine.

See you all around. Im sure I will be full of questions and hope to be an experienced espresso puller that can help others in the future

Thanks
    Lou

Re: New to coffee snobs and new Giotto owner

Quote Originally Posted by 2E0D1726100B140710620 link=1256939890/0#0 date=1256939890
    Hey there everyone,

I am new to the forum though I have been using all the info here to help with choosing my new machine for sometime.

On Tuesday I spoke with Denis from talk coffee. I was considering the Minore iii but after some lengthy discussions with dennis, decided the Giotto premium would be best suited to us. I Have a *new Giotto and a Compak 3T on its way to me. Soooo excited.

I have spent over 2 years having a love hate relationship with my Sunbeam EM6900. I am so excited about getting a "real" machine now. We love the art of making espressos and are looking forward to mastering our New machine.

See you all around. Im sure I will be full of questions and hope to be an experienced espresso puller that can help others in the future

Thanks
    Lou
    Welcome to the forum Lou, Im pretty new here myself.
    Congrats on you purchase, the wait is half the fun isnt it?.
    The Giotto premium is reputed to be a pretty good machine, Im sure you will be delighted with it, certainly a major step up from the Sunbeam.
    Keep us informed as to you first impressions and progress.
    Cheers,
    Jon. :)

Im assuming you discussed the VBM Domobar Super as well?

Out of curiosity, and possibly to help others with their future purchases, can you say what made you decide on the giotto out of these 3 fine machines?

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes we discussed the VBM aswell. The Giotto and VBM were the 2 reccommended to me over the Minore III. The reasons for them being a better machines were, looks and over all finish quality was better. 2 boilers all though can be an advantage there can also mean twice as much to need repairs down the track etc.

Between the Giotto and the VBM I chose the Giotto because all components inside are full commercial grade compared to the other 2 being semi commercial. That was the sticking point for me after my sunbeam wearing out from our high usage.

I too have been talking to TalkCoffee about these machines and if the Minister for Finance comes round, look forward to owning one in the not too distant future.
    Interested in your choice of Compak K3 Touch (?). Love to hear how it goes with the Giotto. Was it the clear choice ahead of the Mini Maz?

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 727952555541524A330 link=1256939890/4#4 date=1264040615
    Interested in your choice of Compak K3 Touch (?). Love to hear how it goes with the Giotto. Was it the clear choice ahead of the Mini Maz?
    Hey Jaffa, Greg Pullman has done quite a thorough compo of the two grinders(below), great read, i personally went with the mazzer stream fro shear build strength and weight, but i went the super jolly ;)
    http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/mini-k3/

kbc

Jaffa, I have a Giotto/K3 touch combo. They are great together. I love the touch as its reliable, commercial quality and easy to clean because of the "hopperlessness"

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

No hopper? ;D

kbc

I put one "scoop" of beans into the grinder, grind the lot into a small glass underneath, give it a very quick mix then put it into the basket.

Works great.

Heaps better than my old Sunbeam EM0580. For one thing, the Sunbeam produced very clumpy grind. The K3 grind is virtually clump-free :)