Thread: Bezzera Galatea Domus--- Crema issue.

Bezzera Galatea Domus--- Crema issue.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive owned the BGD for a month now and am not 100% happy with the amount of crema its producing or should I say not producing, its ok, but not outstanding, believe it or not was getting a better result from the old Silvia.
    Am wondering what the thoughts are of other BGD owners? are you using the supplied double basket or have you changed to something else?
    Im not new to this game, have owned espresso machines for over 10 years and understand the relationship between bean quality, freshness, grind, tamp, basket size, temperature etc.
    Thoughts please. :-/

Re: Bezzera Galatea Domus--- Crema issue.

Hmm, my first thought was "are you using fresh beans, ground on demand, and tamping properly?" but you seem to have those covered!

I havent used this machine but I can guarantee that its capable of producing great espresso (with great crema) simply based on the fact that lots of CSers own them, and lots of sponsors sell them.

Is your machine clean? Does it get a chemical backflush a few times a month?

Do you flush before each shot? If youre not, this could be burning the coffee and killing the crema. Just flush a little water through the grouphead before each shot (to get rid of the super-heated water from the HX) until it stops spitting.

Is it running hot? To answer this, when youve left the machine for 10 minutes or so and then flush water through the group head, how long do you need to do so before it stops spitting? If you need to flush more than, say, 100mL (others might have a better estimate there...) then your machine could be set to too high a temperature.

How do your shots taste? How do they look when they are extracting? If they taste burnt, or bitter, or sour, or thin and watery... or if they are gushing, blonding early, or running very thin - this could give us some idea of whats wrong.

Have you tried different sources of fresh beans? Some may produce more crema on your machine than others.

Hope something of that is helpful.
    Cheers
    Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by 6C6B6A7E6D6B786D7E716B1F0 link=1259654151/1#1 date=1259658627
    Do you flush before each shot? If youre not, this could be burning the coffee and killing the crema. Just flush a little water through the grouphead before each shot (to get rid of the super-heated water from the HX) until it stops spitting.
    You may be onto something here Stuart, must admit flushing before shots is something I dont do, will crank her up now and give it a try.
    Will report back soon.

Cheers,

Jon.

In addition to a cooling flush as described above & keeping your machine internals clean with regular back-flushing

Correct dosing is important and the correct tamped puck depth for a Bezzera Galatea is 8mm

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 46626B6B68685246627E60620D0 link=1259654151/3#3 date=1259666298
    Correct dosing is important and the correct tamped puck depth for a Bezzera Galatea is 8mm
    Evening KK, 8mm eh? how did you come up with this? is that 8mm puck depth or 8mm from top of basket to tamped coffee level?
    Cleaning not an issue, back flush daily and machine only month old.
    Thanks for the input.

Cheers,

Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by 023E372F3A5B0 link=1259654151/4#4 date=1259666927
    Evening KK, 8mm eh? how did you come up with this? is that 8mm puck depth or 8mm from top of basket to tamped coffee level?
    I own the same machine * ;)
    The way to measure from scratch the correct depth level is by trial and error

This is done by locking in the group handle repeatedly until the puck is under by only a hairs whisker from the water screen in the group head

Use that depth as future reference

Some people use a 5 cent piece to help with this by viewing the indentation it leaves on the puck

Ohh & its 8mm from top of basket to tamped coffee level

KK

Hmmmm, looks like cooling flush may well have been the answer, just pulled a shot for the better half (used cooling flush) and the crema was superb ;D
    About to pull one for myself, see if I can duplicate the success, stay tuned. :)

Hey Jon,

I was happy to go with the advice of Jack from Bazari who suggested factory setup did not need to be adjusted. The flip side of that is the cooling flush is a critical step before pulling my first shot of the session.
    FYI: Im using the supplied double basket; probably still trying to perfect my dose/tamp method; beans are fresh & ground on demand and the crema results are good.

I do a cooling flush with the double group handle locked into place & empty of any coffee

Flush until the water runs as if its a perfect coffee pour and stop

Them I grind, dose, tamp, load and extract a delicious espresso mmmmm

KK

Bingo, another great shot, will remember cooling flush from now on. Thanks for the input guys. ;D

Ive got mine running so it doesnt need a cooling flush - completely temp stable (well, <first crack through the shot) and lovely crema - often 4s & 5s on WBC scale.

This was after an hours tinkering with Renzo from Di Bartoli.

And how is that? Did you install a PID temp controller?