Thread: Bezzara BZ35

Bezzara BZ35

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I just bought a Bezzera BZ35 second hand. Paid $645 machine on Ebay was just given a major service at the end of November and had the seals etc.. replaced at a cost of $440 seller is giving 3 month warranty so Im thinking I got a great deal. Ive also bought a Bezzera BB003 Commerical Grinder from somewhere else at $385 which Im still trying to arrange freight for but Im thinking with a new burr set it will be a good match for the machine.

I starting playing with the BZ35 this morning (made myself late for work) Half a kilo of cheap but fresh coffee beans later for my local corner store (roasted by a local deli) Im reasonably pleased with the results. My feeling is that the machines temp is set to high as it just seems a little hot and steamy when brewing and the taste is a little bitter even when the extraction seems reasonable. Firstly how do I measure the brewing temperature and once Ive measured it does anyone know how to change it on this machine?

Also before I bought this machine I was reading some relative threads and most people who got these machine second hand seemed to be dropping the preassure to 1 bar. These machines dont have a pressure gauge so again Im wondering how I go about firstly measuring the pressure and then setting it?

Ive got to say Im in love with machine already particuarly being able to plumb it in. Not that my wife impressed at the moment ive just got the drain hose into the sink and another shoved on the end of out water filter tap but I will fix it....I had a laugh :)

Re: Bezzara BZ35

p.s using my Sunbeam EM0480 at the moment till the other grider comes

You can find all the schematics you need for your Bezzera BZ35 espresso machine here

http://www.barazi.com.au/Bezzera-Coffee-Machines/commercial-machines/bz35-single-group

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 544551485750454D4A57465D1216240 link=1261008531/0#0 date=1261008531
    My feeling is that the machines temp is set to high as it just seems a little hot and steamy when brewing and the taste is a little bitter even when the extraction seems reasonable. Firstly how do I measure the brewing temperature and once Ive measured it does anyone know how to change it on this machine?
    Quote Originally Posted by 544551485750454D4A57465D1216240 link=1261008531/0#0 date=1261008531
    Also before I bought this machine I was reading some relative threads and most people who got these machine second hand seemed to be dropping the preassure to 1 bar. These machines dont have a pressure gauge so again Im wondering how I go about firstly measuring the pressure and then setting it?
    Basically, you need to have access to a Scace device which may be obtainable from a nearby Site Sponsor for a cost. Alternatively, drop the machine in to them and ask them to set it up for you.

If this isnt desirable for some reason, you can use a "bead" type t/couple and sit it on top of a normally prepared coffee puck then lock in as per normal. You may have to lock-in slightly more tightly than normal in order to assure a good seal around the flat t/couple cable.

This allows you to measure the Brew Water Temperature (coupled with a suitable DMM) through the duration of a shot at the correct flow rate (what a Scace device does in essence). Of course, you need to draw a cooling flush before locking the GH in place otherwise the recorded temperature profile wont be worth much from an information point of view.

How do you adjust the Brew Water Temp? By varying the volume of the Cooling Flush immediately before pulling a shot. This only works for the first shot (or two in a series of shots) as after that, the thermodynamics of the machines design takes over and the Brew Water Temp becomes a function of this.

If the Brew Water Temp remains generally higher than what is "ideal" for you, then you need to involve a machine Tech who knows their stuff and can play intelligently with the HX system in order to fine-tune this for you. There is NO simple adjustment where HX machines are concerned.

Adjusting the Boiler Pressure downwards to achieve the above is somewhat of a Furphy as the effect on Brew Water Temp is minimal but available High Pressure Dry Steam can be affected markedly. Generally for home use, a setting of 1.0 Bar should be able to produce great steam.

All the best,
    Mal.