Thread: Steam boiler overflowing from antivac valve - Brewtus II

Steam boiler overflowing from antivac valve - Brewtus II

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Gday guys and girls.

Im having a problem with my beloved Brewtus II. A number of months ago I replaced the antivac valve on my steam boiler as it was leaking when at full pressure. Since then no problems.

On what I believe to be an unrelated issue my machine has just started to overflow the steam boiler which results in water overflowing from the antivac valve, spraying all through the machine and then onto the bench. Since I have had the machine (2+ years) it does the occasional water topup. When this happens the vibe pump only ever runs for a second or two. As of a few minutes ago it happened for the second time in two days. The machine has always had a diet of filtered water from a brita jug. The machine has also been left on 24/7 excpet for extended trips away.

Can anyone give me some tips for a home repair or failing that can someone recommend me a repair shop in Melbourne, preferably in the West.

Thanks

A_M

Re: Steam boiler overflowing from antivac valve - Brewtus II

Quote Originally Posted by 596F6361650A0 link=1261618751/0#0 date=1261618751
    Gday guys and girls.

Im having a problem with my beloved Brewtus II. A number of months ago I replaced the antivac valve on my steam boiler as it was leaking when at full pressure. Since then no problems.

On what I believe to be an unrelated issue my machine has just started to overflow the steam boiler which results in water overflowing from the antivac valve, spraying all through the machine and then onto the bench. Since I have had the machine (2+ years) it does the occasional water topup. When this happens the vibe pump only ever runs for a second or two. As of a few minutes ago it happened for the second time in two days. The machine has always had a diet of filtered water from a brita jug. The machine has also been left on 24/7 excpet for extended trips away.

Can anyone give me some tips for a home repair or failing that can someone recommend me a repair shop in Melbourne, preferably in the West.

Thanks
    Sounds like a sus sensor and or detector cct... If ya not Electronics minded and licensed to work around mains voltages..

Suggest ya contact any number of teh sponsors over there on teh left...

Quote Originally Posted by 6355595B5F300 link=1261618751/0#0 date=1261618751
    can someone recommend me a repair shop in Melbourne
    Try Talk Coffee (on the left).

Looks like my autofill controller is shot. *Now the machine wont fill the boiler or heat the water. I spoke to Chris from Talk Coffee and he told me that Expobar wont open till the 18th jan. Not good, not good at all.

Ill head down to Jaycar as soon as the open and see if I can swap this part out.

I only hope that its the controller that is toats and that it hasnt taken enything else with it or died as a result of something else dying.

I gather it is a transformer, primary being 240v and secondary 18v 1.5a? There are only 4 pcb points on it so that would confirm its a single voltage trans and also not a relay, espcially considering there is one below it.

Thought I would give an update as to how this turned out. Ive had the machine back now for a number of weeks. Cant highly recommend Chris from TalkCoffee enough. I think though my own stupidity I caused further damage. Turned out the autofill controller was shot as well as a heating element and the temp controller :) From memory it was just over $500 for the repair.

Let me tell you I paid it without hesistating after almost a month of using a Breville POS for the whole time.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 5365696B6F000 link=1261618751/4#4 date=1266227105
    Thought I would give an update as to how this turned out. Ive had the machine back now for a number of weeks. Cant highly recommend Chris from Talk Coffee enough. I think though my own stupidity I caused further damage. Turned out the autofill controller was shot as well as a heating element and the temp controller :) From memory it was just over $500 for the repair.

Let me tell you I paid it without hesistating after almost a month of using a Breville POS for the whole time.
    Yeah, it was a big repair Seiko *:o...

Think I forgot to mention that the autofill board had actually been reversed when you reinstalled it in your machine. This killed it :-(

I was concerned that there was an intermittent short so decided to send it off to the experts (Expobar) to ensure it was 100%..I dont like random glitches....

The nett result was a board, element, total rebuild of the group and a few other miscellaneous items and some freight as well, so it was a large bill :(

Glad that all is well and you and your machine are happily reunited. Its has done a heap of work, but will do a whole lot more now....

Chris

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 75404D4A7E624E47474444210 link=1261618751/5#5 date=1266228384
    Think I forgot to mention that the autofill board had actually been reversed when you reinstalled it in your machine. This killed it *
    Good point TC...

Sorry... Once again - Am on teh soap box..... *

If ya not skilled in this area, please be warned that electrons will not only hurt YOU but will also destroy boards and other components if connected incorrectly..

It is not like a PC where if you do get the IDE cable the wrong way round then the HD just wont work. A quick reversal is usually all it takes to be back working again.. *

ELV and protect ccts manage this to some extent and only sometimes......

LV = 240V and is no where near as forgiving...

In addition a blown board can then often cause a real dangerous situation..

Try one where a person connected one of the element connectors to the Water level probe - * CCt would trip and he got so frustrated he was attempting to bypass the ELCB ...Doh..

Darwin award coming up..