Thread: Giotto Temperature Stability

kbc

Giotto Temperature Stability

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

Im also a new Giotto owner (ECM Giotto). LOVE IT!

Does anyone know the temp stability of the ECM Giotto? I am interested to know the temperature you could expect from the lowest temp (just before the boiler kicks in) to the highest (just after the boiler stops).

BTW, my Rancilio Silvia out of the box ranged from approx 88 to 98 deg C - 10 degrees! After the PID I reduced it to 0.1 degress.

I expect the Giotto to be closer to the 0.1 degrees range than 10 degrees range but is it 2, 3, 4 or 5 degrees??????

Thanks all.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: Giotto Temperature Stability

Sorry For the short response but Im on a mobile, the HX works totally different to single boiler dual purpose machine, google how a heat exchanger machine actually works, youll have a lot to read! ;)

kbc

Thanks. Good advice - Ive been reading.

Im still interested in any testing results for the ECM Giotto if anyone has them.

:)

I have no test results, but some basic information that may help.

The usual pressure difference between on and off in a Giotto level machine is round about .2 bar or about 3C maximum.

You will get much larger differences depending on the temperature of the water in the water tank, and how much you flush, and how long it takes to start the extraction after the flush, and the ambient temperature.

Greg

kbc

Thanks Greg - This is exactly what I was after. Great info!

kbc

Another thing - Talk Coffee does a thermostability mod. What sort of improvement does this give? My guess is that it reduces the "approx" 3 deg C starting temp variation.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 447561786D202420140 link=1263962869/5#5 date=1264163960
    Another thing - Talk Coffee does a thermostability mod. *What sort of improvement does this give? *My guess is that it reduces the "approx" 3 deg C starting temp variation. *
    Hi Pauly,

The mod we performed was on previous Giotto Premium machines. I dont believe that a significant improvement would be possible on a Premium Plus.

This week, I also had a crack at an old VBM DS which arrived in Oz under the previous importer. Pig of a machine and dramatically different to the current specs. After 12 hours of experimentation, the owner has a better, but not perfect machine *::)

When you turn your machine on, I suggest you ensure that the thermosyphon system is full by giving the machine a flush. If the machine has been idling for a long time, a further flush may be required.

The shot to shot thermostability of the Giotto Premium Plus is terrific and I think that inconsistency of technique would ultimately lead to more variation in the cup.

Today I switched on our bench machine and forgot to flush as I turned it on. It did get warm and I flushed perhaps 150ml when I finally got to it. Thereafter it was fine for the next few hours and thecableguy tried the results in his coffee when he visited ;)

Hope that helps....

Chris

kbc

Thanks Chris.

My machine is an ECM Giotto. I believe it is approx 2 years old and one of the last units sold before they were re-badged as rocket. It does have ball-jointed steam and water wands.

Can you improve the stabilty of this machine significantly? I dont have any problem with it and love the machine as it is but I want to know that it is performing as well as it can.

Thanks!

kbc

Another observation - After sitting arround for the day the temp of the water in the reservoir gets to approx 40 deg C.

Does this mean a shot pulled when the machine has been sitting on all day will be warmer than one pulled after a quick 30 minute morning warmup? Seems to make sense....

Quote Originally Posted by 6150445D48050105310 link=1263962869/8#8 date=1264308120
    Does this mean a shot pulled when the machine has been sitting on all day will be warmer than one pulled after a quick 30 minute morning warmup?Seems to make sense....
    Not to me

If you put 40 deg water in a saucepan and 20 deg water in another saucepan then bring them both to the boil, wont they both be at 100 degrees? *

Quote Originally Posted by 043521382D606460540 link=1263962869/8#8 date=1264308120
    Another observation - After sitting arround for the day the temp of the water in the reservoir gets to approx 40 deg C. *

Does this mean a shot pulled when the machine has been sitting on all day will be warmer than one pulled after a quick 30 minute morning warmup? *Seems to make sense.... *
    I have a gas hot water system that is HX, and the temperature of the hot water does change over the course of the year as the temperature of the input water changes.

So, in answer to your question, Id have to say "maybe"--it would all depend on the sophistication of the HX system.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 1322362F3A777377430 link=1263962869/8#8 date=1264308120
    Does this mean a shot pulled when the machine has been sitting on all day will be warmer than one pulled after a quick 30 minute morning warmup? *Seems to make sense....
    I think it does make an initial difference....

For example, when the days are really stinking hot where we are, it takes a lot more Cooling Flush volume to bring the Brew Water temperature down to an acceptable level after a prolonged idle time. Its not as marked when pulling successive shots though but sometimes a short Cooling Flush is still needed if I take too long between pulling shots.

Once the Brew Water temperature is down where I want it though (93-94C), its all good. So, a short answer would be.... It depends ;D

Mal.

kbc

Thanks all - A good cooling flush may be the answer....