Thread: new machine

new machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone

as a newbie I am looking at a couple of machines and any recommendations would be great looking around the 1500 and the machines so far are the Diadema Perfetta the Isomac Zaffiro the VBM Piccolo the Expobar Semi Auto , looks are not the priority ease of use and performance are the main things i am looking at , have got a decent grinder

Looking forward to your replies

Regards
    Tony

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: new machine

What grinder do you have?

rocky and I forgot to put this into my post I only make 4 cups max a morning and thats it for the day

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Your best bet is to contact the sponsors, they will give you unbiased opinion on all three, may even be able to give you a special price....these guys know their stuff backwards! Send an email to sitesponsors@coffeesnobs.com.au, tell them your requirements and limitations.....they will do the rest of the work for you ;)

Suppose it depends if you want to texture milk @ the same time as pulling your shots, if so the choice is pretty simple? Im dont know much about the Expobar though :-[ Otherwise my choice would have to be the Perfetta, its a very nice and highly regarded single boiler machine.

My personal opinion.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 40454B484D404F45210 link=1265412065/2#2 date=1265416575
    I only make 4 cups max a morning and thats it for the day *
    Cups of what? Espresso, Long Black, Latte? *:-/

Are you in a hurry when you make them or do you have a few spare minutes?

The Expobar is a Heat Exchanger machine. Have you read up on the difference between a Heat Exchanger and a single boiler (no heat exchanger)?

I would be inclined to get a second hand HX rather than a new single boiler - but that is just me!

A site sponsor has this http://9barespressoservices.com.au/index.php/equipment/second-hand

4 cups of cappacinos normally 2 and then a 1 hr later another 2

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 54515F5C59545B51350 link=1265412065/6#6 date=1265439329
    4 cups of cappacinos *normally 2 and then a 1 hr later another 2 *
    Cappuccino Tony! *:D

FYI others, Tonys initial brief to us was "Find me a Nemox Fenice".

Tony, a single boiler machine will do 2-4 no problem however, it will not think for itself and I wouldnt recommend that any single boiler mahcine be placed on a time switch, or in a workplace situation for that matter. Its a recipe for a dead element and expensive repairs.

Additionally, all single boiler machines require boiler priming or you will also cook an element and be back to expensive repairs- see http://espressocompany.com.au/downloads/DomobarUserGuideSteaming.pdf *Also, most single boiler machines tend to run hot and need to be managed- either with flush routines or a PID.

e-61 single boiler machines usually have a temperature adjustable rheostat. Its why/how we Scace calibrate the Piccolo and Perfetta- to make them way more user friendly and they end up not too much more than a PID Silvia, but you get better build, boiler capacity and excellent thermostability.

Heat Exchanger/dual boiler machines cost a lot more than a Fenice but are user friendly and have a brain. They will fill their boilers as required and cut power to the element if the water tank is empty. This technology comes at a premium. Wed all love a GS/3 for about five hundy, but sadly its not gonna happen!

If the $$$ are tight, Sunbeam 6910 and we wish you luck with your potential grenade! Ultimately though, your machine should be with you for a long time and your investment is amortised across the ownership period. A small saving on the way in becomes a large loss on sale if youre not happy with your purchase. Bottom line is if you cant afford what you want, save and wait. You have to look at it every day.

We have some demo machines on sale at present- see our sponsor area.

Good luck!

Chris

hi chris

thankyou so much for you sarcasm and degrading reply to my first post, i was encouraged to start posting on this site being a newbie but after this you can have your expert opinion to your self , i spoke to you about the lelit machine you are right about that but after discussing this with you I realised that i would have to spend a bit more so I looked at the next price bracket and that was the reason for my post that seems normal with this site .
    tony

Gday Tony....

I cant read anywhere where Chris is being sarcastic in his post above.... Maybe some tongue in cheek comments but thats about it....

Anyway, the machines you have listed in your post are all very capable. The Perfetta and Piccolo are similar in their purpose but the Expobar is a Heat eXchanger (HX) machine (similar in design to many commercial machines) where it is possible to both pull shots and texture milk at the same time. The big convenience factor is that you will always have plenty of Steam available for texturing and the ability to pull a shot at a moments notice once the machine has warmed up properly. This can be as little as half-an-hour for machines of this design.

If it is at all possible, it would definitely be worth it to stretch to the Expobar machine. There are many CSers with identical machines and a wealth of knowledge and support to help out when required. The same can be said for the other two machines too except for a lessening in flexibility due to the Dual Purpose Single Boiler design - You just cant pull shots and texture milk at the same time, you have to pull the shots first, switch over to Steam mode and then wait for the Boiler to heat up. After texturing, you must reprime the Boiler, (wait for the temperature to stabilise) before pulling any further shots or switching it Off.

Your Rocky should be fine matched with any of the above, especially if you apply one of the mods that allow infinite grind adjustment and tighten up the slack in the Burr Carrier thread; some Rockys can be quite loose in this respect.

Anyway, hope some of this info is helpful to you... :)

Cheers,
    Mal.

COFFEECHASER

Hi Tony,

I have a Expobar semi-auto, which I bought from Chris just over 3 years ago. I am happy with my purchase and where I chose to buy the machine from. It was set up well and because of that it has served me well without fault. It can take a decent cooling flush to bring it back down to a nice brewing temp if it has been idling for a while. The finish is not as nice as the Italian machines that I have had a chance to play with but I have grown found of it all the same. It is cheaper than Italian HX machines and I stretched my budget at the time so couldnt have gone any higher up the food chain. I started out with a Iberital Challenge and eventually upgraded to a Mazzer Mini and found a nice improvement. Of course I have grinder envy with all the big conicals people have but upgrades can happen as the budget allow.

If you go for the Expobar I am sure you would be happy. If you go for one of the other machines mentioned I am sure you will be happy as well. The rocky would be a fine partner in my opinion and you may or may not want to upgrade down the track. I think it is wise to seek out site sponsors and I have always been happy with all the sponsors I have dealt with. If you get the chance to play with machines do so you can see what YOU like. If you have Expobar semi-auto specific questions feel free to PM me.

TC

Hi Tony,

I am very surprised by your comments. My post was intended simply to enlighten others unaware of your history that you are on a journey and have probably come to the realisation that the Nemox does not actually match your brief. You are now considering other machines and trying to get a better understanding of them.

My response was an attempt to point out to you and other interested readers some key differences between entry level machines, e-61 dual purpose single boiler machines and HX machines. I was aiming to clarify things for you and for other CSers who may be uncertain of those differences. No sarcasm, just plain and simple facts.

We receive multiple calls every week where the caller has decided that "this is the machine for me". Sometimes they have made the right choice, sometimes not. My thoughts are that if you make the wrong choice you blow your dough- it spends weeks in an an appliance service centre being repaired or in a cupboard or you sell it at a loss. Forum members and sponsors here will try to ensure doesnt happen by providing you with opinions and advice. Save if you need to so that you buy the right machine for you.

If a correction of spelling is offensive to you, I apologise, but it wont change the fact that it is cappuccino! When I see that in a cafe, its a message which says go away, we dont care about coffee. Always said that if they cant spell it, they shouldnt sell it either. No time like the present to learn. Were all on a pathway... ;)

Chris

TC

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1230793442/43#43][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

Quote Originally Posted by 72474A4D79654940404343260 link=1265412065/7#7 date=1265440875
    Quote Originally Posted by 54515F5C59545B51350 link=1265412065/6#6 date=1265439329
    4 cups of cappacinos *normally 2 and then a 1 hr later another 2 *
    Cappuccino Tony! *:D

FYI others, Tonys initial brief to us was "Find me a Nemox Fenice".

Tony, a single boiler machine will do 2-4 no problem however, it will not think for itself and I wouldnt recommend that any single boiler mahcine be placed on a time switch, or in a workplace situation for that matter. Its a recipe for a dead element and expensive repairs.

Additionally, all single boiler machines require boiler priming or you will also cook an element and be back to expensive repairs- see http://espressocompany.com.au/downloads/DomobarUserGuideSteaming.pdf *Also, most single boiler machines tend to run hot and need to be managed- either with flush routines or a PID.

e-61 single boiler machines usually have a temperature adjustable rheostat. Its why/how we Scace calibrate the Piccolo and Perfetta- to make them way more user friendly and they end up not too much more than a PID Silvia, but you get better build, boiler capacity and excellent thermostability.

Heat Exchanger/dual boiler machines cost a lot more than a Fenice but are user friendly and have a brain. They will fill their boilers as required and cut power to the element if the water tank is empty. This technology comes at a premium. Wed all love a GS/3 for about five hundy, but sadly its not gonna happen!

If the $$$ are tight, Sunbeam 6910 and we wish you luck with your potential grenade! Ultimately though, your machine should be with you for a long time and your investment is amortised across the ownership period. A small saving on the way in becomes a large loss on sale if youre not happy with your purchase. Bottom line is if you cant afford what you want, save and wait. You have to look at it every day.

We have some demo machines on sale at present- see our sponsor area.

Good luck!

Chris

SOme good pointers Chris, I assume the same applies to the Lelit Combi??

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 45747562696864010 link=1265412065/13#13 date=1265546682
    SOme good pointers Chris, I assume the same applies to the Lelit Combi?? *
    That was my aim, even though they were not well received ::)

As for the Lelit, even more so....The Lelit boiler is much smaller.

Chris