Thread: Giotto - No steam pressure

Giotto - No steam pressure

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all
    Today after two years of faithful service my Giotto Premium Boiler did not have any pressure in it. *The temp at the group was correct and extracted some nice espresso (the pump worked for this) - but alas there was no pressure for steaming the milk - the dial did not register. There was also no boiling water (same source I think). *Some advice would be most welcome before I fiddle with it.

In the meantime out came old Silvia and the day was saved!

David

Re: Giotto - No steam pressure

so the espresso was hot? did the machine get hot it would have to be hot to get the group head hot?
    it does not seem possible that you had a hot espresso but did not have any steam or hot water?

did your antivac fail and you just had false pressure....., on 2nd thought it would get "hot" but not get really hot with steam if it was false pressure via a failing antivac.... and as pressure pushes out he water no pressure would mean no hot water..... (in my brugentti anyway)

did you try bleeding of any false pressure then seeing *if it started to get hotter?

weird.... (maybe)
    Leeham

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

how often is it descaled, backflushed etc, could this be caused by scale? isnt perth water quite hard?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 2B272E23232A460 link=1265683030/1#1 date=1265686796
    did your antivac fail and you just had false pressure....., on 2nd thought it would get "hot" but not get really hot with steam if it was false pressure via a failing antivac.... and as pressure pushes out he water no pressure would mean no hot water..... (in my brugentti anyway)

did you try bleeding of any false pressure then seeing *if it started to get hotter?
    If it is heating, its the anti-vac or there is an obstruction in the steam valve or wand....

I know the CS mantra is to keep it clean, but I have seen more than my share of clagged up steam tips *:o

Re: Giotto - No steam pressure -update

Hi
    Thank you:
    It seemed the temp was right then what ever happened happened!
    New observations:
    1. Pump works through to the group okay.
    2. Boiler no longer heats up.
    3. Water level probe does not trigger the pump to fill the tank when unplugged.

My feeling is the controller is broken or what ever happens to controllers.
    I think it has to go away. *I will check with my supplier for options.
    David

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 22332B2F3F27460 link=1265683030/4#4 date=1265700202
    Hi
    Thank you:
    It seemed the temp was right then what ever happened happened!
    New observations:
    1. Pump works through to the group okay.
    2. Boiler no longer heats up.
    3. Water level probe does not trigger the pump to fill the tank when unplugged.

My feeling is the controller is broken or what ever happens to controllers.
    I think it has to go away. *I will check with my supplier for options.
    David
    Where are you Located ? A sponsor or others could be close by...

Hi all
    To update again:
    I have been given some options by my ES supplier (Talk Coffee) and they are both good.
    1. there is a local company (in WA) that might be able to deal with it (who also sells Giottos)
    2. I can order the parts and with instructions do it myself. (I love the rider: "Mistakes with boards are usually expensive"!)

So I will explore

I am very grateful for the continued support from TC

Thanks to all CS repliers

david

Hi all
    I always like to read a conclusion:

Talk Coffee supplied the bits and I installed them today. Giotto is in service again. *It now has an upgraded GPP board and a Pressure stat modification. *The installation went smoothly.

So it is a Hybrid GPP ! * * :)

David

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Good to hear your back on the road david, its scary when things like this happen, especially if the rectify themselves!, the other day i had not steam at all, water was hot......no steam at all, i freaked!, turned off and back on.....all good, its a worry when $3 k glitches like that :o

I have 2 Giottos about 3 years old and have had exactly the same problem with both. First machine fixed 6 months ago. 2nd one they replaced pressure switch to see if it would fix problem as they did not have new control board available. This in spite of me suggesting that they should come prepared as it was exactly the same symptoms. Have been waiting all week for them to get back to me with quote for a new control board. Any suggestions for reliable repairer Gold Coast? :(
    Charli

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 567D7467797C150 link=1265683030/9#9 date=1267217496
    I have 2 Giottos about 3 years old and have had exactly the same problem with both. First machine fixed 6 months ago. 2nd one they replaced pressure switch to see if it would fix problem as they did not have new control board available. This in spite of me suggesting that they should come prepared as it was exactly the same symptoms. Have been waiting all week for them to get back to me with quote for a new control board. Any suggestions for reliable repairer Gold Coast? :(
    Charli
    Hi Caarli,

It is the control board.

If you ring Roger from Supreme Roasters, he has a good bloke.

Make sure that when the the new board is installed, the machine is rewired to current ECA (Dec 09) spec. This brings 240V to the pressurestat and minimises the chances of a repeat.

Good luck!

Chris

In "HX Boiler Pressure verses Group Water temperature"

Quote Originally Posted by 19323B2836335A0 link=1266902176/5#5 date=1267234053
    Thanks for the heads up Chris Smiley