Thread: Bezzera BZ90S???

Bezzera BZ90S???

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, long time browser first time poster.

Ill kick off with a little bit of history, Ive happily owned a Gaggia Evolution and Moulinex herb and spice grinder for the past six years. They have seen daily use producing a single cappuccino each morning, using supermarket beans with what I though were OK results.
    I have a couple of local favourite haunts where I would go for real coffee (Grind at Cronulla is a bit of a favourite, but so crowded these days :() and always just accepted that what they produce would always be way better than what I could achieve at home.

This all recently changed when I was given a Macap M5D as a birthday present (the wonderful wife said she got sick of hearing me continually curse the Moulinex) and a packet of fresh beans from Cuppacoffee and the initial results were truly amazing.
    I have spent the past couple of months servicing, researching and modifying the Evolution in attempt to get some level of consistency (once you get that great shot you want it every time) which has proved to be a bit of a challenge. I was on the verge of fitting an OPV from a Classic and PIDing it (due to my work I can get the bits seriously cheap).

Finally getting to the point of this post, all Evolution plans have now been put on hold since an extremely generous family member who has watched my struggles over the past months has offered up as a freebie their infrequently used 16yo Bezzera BZ90S which I will pickup this weekend.

Now for a couple of questions:
    Ive searched high and wide and cannot find any info on a BZ90S (plenty on a BZ99!) does anyone know anything about this machine, is it a spectacular free gift or a dog?
    Being 16yo is this machine going to be well past its best?
    Will parts be available?
    Once collected, should I just switch her on and fire away or should I look at some sort of strip down and service first? I know it has had little use and looks new but suspect it has had little formal servicing.

Thanks for enduring the long winded tale and thanks in advance for any info or advice.

Cheers, Cam

Re: Bezzera BZ90S???

Hi crashden and welcome to CS!

If the BZ90S youve been offered has been operating, then it may only need a descale and general service to make sure everything is working as it should plus a group seal. Its not rocket science.

Id be turning it on if I were you. If youd like to call into the shop sometime I may be able to give you a few pointers.

Hope you enjoyed the coffee!

Cheers
    Den

Bezzera is built to last
    Since its a freebie I would have one of the sponsors give it a thorough service

With your due diligence & care it will happily be making great coffee for another 16 years

Would like to see some pictures as well :)

KK

I certainly enjoyed the coffee, the bag lasted a weekend :)
    As I mentioned it was my first effort with fresh roast and decent grind, I have friends who go on and on about the difference that it makes and to be honest was always rather sceptical. But my first attempt with the Macap and your beans just by chance happened to be spot on through the Gaggia (I have struggled to consistently repeat since!) and the result was way way above what I had been producing, truly surprised me.

Ill post some pics when I get it home on the weekend.

Cam

Site Sponsor

Cam;

BZ90 has the same specification as the BZ99 . I have one my self for the last 7 years. Any questions feel free to contact us anytime or drop over the shop for a chat.

Regards
    Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

In my opinion, Bezzera aint a dog. An absolutely spectacular gift.
    If you find it to be anything else, Ill gladly pay you 10 000% on what you paid ;D

Id agree with above, that since its a freebie you might as well spend a little and get a full professional service and keep it going another decade or two.

Renzo
    Thanks for the info, once I get it up and running and have what Im sure will be a list of questions Ill make sure I drop in. Looks like you guys are not that far from where I work.

Pavoniboy
    Does your 10 000% offer factor in my handling fee *;)
    Cam

Picked up my Bezzera this afternoon with a very wide grin across my face as she is in much better condition than expected (almost looks new).

Took her home, filled her up, and plugged her in. Pump runs for a short while and I can hear the boiler heating up. After about 5 10mins the orange boiler light goes out so I give the steam a quick test, plenty of steam there. Give the hot water tap a quick go, plenty of hot water there.
    Hit the group switch the pump starts running and.. nothing.
    Absolutely no water flow from the group, anyone got any suggestions?

Cam

If there is power to everything and the pump runs
    Its probably the switch ? or something in that power circuit not connecting to give the pump power

Now that you have the machine home
    Follow this link and download the PDF file of the schematic for the BZ99 (almost identical)

http://www.barazi.com.au/Bezzera-Coffee-Machines/domestic-machines/bz99-single-group

Its good to have for future reference

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 342536243F333239570 link=1265800835/7#7 date=1266065092
    Gday Cam.... ;)

When the pump runs in this scenario, does it sound as though it is pumping against high resistance (closed head)? If so, it could be that the 3-Way Valve (attached to the Group) is not operating properly... It could be stuck Closed and requires a good clean out or perhaps the Coil is burned out. Either way, the best way to determine either possibility is to remove the Valve Assy after isolating the machine, and conduct an inspection, clean-up and continuity test of the coil winding.

If youre not sure how to do any of this, get in touch with one of our Site Sponsors in your locale, and Im sure that the problem can be sorted for you. All the best.... :)

Mal.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6F7E6D7F646869620C0 link=1265800836/7#7 date=1266065092
    Took her home, filled her up, and plugged her in. Pump runs for a short while and I can hear the boiler heating up. After about 5 10mins the orange boiler light goes out so I give the steam a quick test, plenty of steam there. Give the hot water tap a quick go, plenty of hot water there.
    As per mal... Either the 3 way or the line between the valve, through the system and or the group head is clogged.

Depending on where you are located... A sponsor or others with experience on these units could be close by.

Please do not operate the system with covers off etc. AND if you attempt to clean of check it out REMOVE teh plug from teh wall FIRST.

Thanks guys, and cheers for the link, the pervious owner still had the original instruction sheet with schematic but it is 1 tiny drawing for the entire machine and a little challenging to decipher (the English Italian translation doesnt help much either!).

Ill start at the 3 way and work from there. Im an electrician by trade and spent way too much time as a teenager with my head under the bonnet of cars so not particularly daunted by the challenge ahead.

Will let you know how I go.

Cam

OK the Bezzera is now sorted and you guys were spot on.
    Solenoid fine so pulled out the 3 way which looked clean enough, and then noticed in the drawing a screw in jet on the inlet, so pulled it out and sure enough blocked (surprised that the water delivery is through a 1.2mm hole!).
    Gave it a good clean and put it all back together and it is now working fine. Will give it a good descale in the next few day and start the journey on dialing it in with the Macap.

The pic below is the internals, sure is a bit more heavy duty than the Gaggia!

Thanks for the advice. Cam

Excellent news Cam.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I think youll fall in love with the Bezz once you get her in tip-top shape then get your technique refined. God shots will be just around the corner.... 8-)

Cheers mate ;)
    Mal.

Site Sponsor

Cam;

That machine looks fine to me from the picture, it has a new control board that this is an extra bonus, and the pump has a thermo cut off incase your pump overheat.

Good luck.

Regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre