Thread: need help with the upgradits decsions!

need help with the upgradits decsions!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So the time has come to upgrade from my beloved Silvia Rocky Combo, the two machines i am looking at are Expobar Office Leva or Vibiemme Junior. i have done a fair amount of research into both and have talked with a few site sponsors. but i would be interested in hearing the views of owners of both models to hear pros and cons.

thanks DD *:)

re: junior vs leva

ive owned the Jnr for 6 months, but only used the leva once or twice.. from what i can tell, theres nothing in it! - go with your heart! (and local supplier).

the Jnr just looks & feels a tiny bit nicer to me, and for some reason i like VBM more than Expobar.
    (also, i got it for a great price, and a free metal tamper!)

my junior does need a cooling flush if its been on for ages. but it can get to proper brew temp in 20mins.
    on hot days, the steam wands valve hisses a little as it gets towards 2 bar...(i guess thats the point of the valve?)
    other than those very minor points, i cant fault it.

and i use a rocky, which works fine, so dont sell yours just yet :)

"beloved silvia"...?!
    after you upgrade to one of these machines, youll wonder how you put up with the silvia for so long! :P

Re: need help with the upgradits decsions!

Dont forget other manufacturers such as Bezzera and Diadema... Some darn nice machines in the same sort of price range with superb build quality 8-)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 7954505C513D0 link=1266037168/2#2 date=1266067507
    Dont forget other manufacturers such as Bezzera and Diadema
    x2 ;)

hey mal and run, yeah i had half an eye on a Diadema Unico Splendor however are they in stock at the moment? i looked on Jetblack coffee and they seem to have been out of stock for awhile.

DD

thanks for the post skelly, the Exobar; consensus seems to be that both the Leva and Minore are great but run a little hot. VBM is more stable. The other annoying fact is that the Exobar only comes with one group handle. i guess the counter point would be you only use one group at a time anyway. interesting too, i didnt know the Rock was up to the job with one of these machines. i was looking at the k3 touch :)

DD

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 1435223B3439373C3522500 link=1266037168/5#5 date=1266117041
    consensus seems to be that both the Leva and Minore are great but run a little hot
    :-? Id disagree with that DD. Best not to read too many US websites as their machines have little in common with our setup. The minore definitely doesnt run hot. It has a PID!! The eb-61 leva can require a cooling flush if left to idle for a long period- as the VBM does. I think the Expobar can be improved with a thermostability mod, but this is by no means essential.

Quote Originally Posted by 1435223B3439373C3522500 link=1266037168/5#5 date=1266117041
    VBM is more stable
    Yep- pretty good, but not better in terms of stability than the Minore III. On the other hand, it kills it for external finish. Build quality is terrific as well.

i didnt know the Rocky was up to the job with one of these machines. i was looking at the k3 touch
    The K3T still represents a jump from the Rocky. Also, with Rancilio gear in very short supply at present, its an excellent sellers market.

Cheers...

Chris

Hi DD, Ive had VBM junior for about a month and along with K3T am really pleased with the coffee Im making. Even my lesser efforts seem to produce a drinkable result, let alone when I actually get it right occassionally ;D. Good fresh beans help a lot of course. Chriss deal above looks very tempting. The Junior is a great looking piece of gear and takes up surprisingly little bench space. Enjoy the search!

Quote Originally Posted by 7B62656364692628100 link=1266037168/7#7 date=1266118867
    Hi DD, *Ive had VBM junior for about a month and along with K3T am really pleased with the coffee Im making. *Even my lesser efforts seem to produce a drinkable result, let alone when I actually get it right occassionally ;D. *Good fresh beans help a lot of course. *Chriss deal above looks very tempting. *The Junior is a great looking piece of gear and takes up surprisingly little bench space. *Enjoy the search!
    Ill second that! Ive got exactly the same setup and Ive had it for about a month as well and couldnt be more pleased.

i am thinking i might need to just save that bit more and go for the VBM ;D. i think i am starting to get the Upgrades shakes :D.

DD