Thread: expobar office SA - possibly leak?

expobar office SA - possibly leak?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys,

Im running an Expobar Office SA (about 18 months), and for the last 6 months Ive noticed a quiet hiss noise from inside the machine. The operation of the machine has not been affected in anyway, but Ive opened it up incase there was a leak. I believe noise is coming from a valve on the top of the boiler (circled in the attached picture). I think this is an antivac valve, and if you depress the pin on the top steam evacuates the boiler from the valve. Im guessing the seating of this valve may be dirty or worn, and is causing this periodic hiss while the boiler is at full pressure.

Before I remove this part to inspect, I was looking for advice. Am I on the right track here? Im guessing if the valve is aged, I can replace it easily. The last thing I want to do is stuff up my ok functioning machine by tinkering if this is a bad idea.

Cheers,
    jprm

levercrema

Re: expobar office SA - possibly leak?

Quote Originally Posted by 3822203F520 link=1266736415/0#0 date=1266736415
    Hi Guys,

Im running an Expobar Office SA (about 18 months), and for the last 6 months Ive noticed a quiet hiss noise from inside the machine. The operation of the machine has not been affected in anyway, but Ive opened it up incase there was a leak. I believe noise is coming from a valve on the top of the boiler (circled in the attached picture). I think this is an antivac valve, and if you depress the pin on the top steam evacuates the boiler from the valve. Im guessing the seating of this valve may be dirty or worn, and is causing this periodic hiss while the boiler is at full pressure.

Before I remove this part to inspect, I was looking for advice. Am I on the right track here? Im guessing if the valve is aged, I can replace it easily. The last thing I want to do is stuff up my ok functioning machine by tinkering if this is a bad idea.

Cheers,
    jprm
    Its a very simple valve so you cant really stuff it up. Is it leaking around the base or out the top? When was the last time you descaled? Chances are there is a bit of gunk around the "O" ring and maybe on the valve shaft. With no pressure in the boiler take the valve out - carefully - and soak it in citric acid or descaling solution. Even a speck of crud can cause it not to seat properly.

I suggest replacing the copper washer when you put the valve back in. Also you can use a tiny bit of food grade grease on the "O"ring to help it seal. Not too much or it will stick - or just get a new valve from coffee parts and bung it in. Theyre cheap.

Its easy to forget these tiny "O" rings go hard just like group seals.

Thanks DrDregs. Just to clarify, do you suggest descaling the boiler? I had always been under the impression that the boiler side of these machines wasnt to be descaled, but rather great care taken with the water used (e.g. filtration). I descale/backflush the front end, but have not done anything to the boiler.

In any case, this may explain the valve not seating properly. The hiss noise only happens sometimes, which Im guessing is because the valve reseats everytime the machine is switched on and the boiler reaches pressure to close the valve, and only sometimes the valve doesnt seat properly.

In anycase Im going to have a go removing the valve to clean or replace and hopefully can stop the noise.

Thanks again for you help!

jprm

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 3B21233C510 link=1266736415/2#2 date=1266856188
    valve reseats everytime the machine is switched on and the boiler reaches pressure to close the valve, and only sometimes the valve doesnt seat properly.
    Correct, the same thing happened to my GPP, sorted now, after a clean of the valve.....

In anycase Im going to have a go removing the valve to clean or replace and hopefully can stop the noise.
    Best of luck ;)

I had always been under the impression that the boiler side of these machines wasnt to be descaled
    Not too sure about this? i looked around on the net and found nothing to suggest that you cant descale the boiler, they are a HX after all.......we all do it! What gave you that impression jprm?

Ok, I seem to have sorted out the valve and all is well. Thank you for the comments.

WSully - Im not sure where I picked up this idea of not running a descale through the boiler... I read about boilers for 2-3 months before switching over from the cheapo thermoblock systems so I probably read something then. The HX plumbing bypasses the internals of the boiler completely so not much harm there, however what about the boiler itself? If you filled the vessel full of a descaling solution, wont it be difficult to completely purge the boiler without pulling the thing apart? Im pretty sure mine starts filling in cold water once pressure drops (which happens pretty quick when dispensing hot water). In other words, wont I end up having to dilute my descale away very inefficiently?

Cheers,
    jprm

IIRC its possible to disconnect a sensor that then causes the boiler to "overfill".
    This is how you fill it to descale and also refill it for complete flushing.