Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: fluidotech vibe pump fault? serviceable?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    600

    fluidotech vibe pump fault? serviceable?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

    I have a fluidotech vibe pump on my vbm that I think may need repair/replacement. The flow from the grouphead if slow. It is from a plumbed in machine, but I am running the machine off an external tank. When removed the pump from the machine (ie, no pressure), the pump moves only about 65-70ml per 20 seconds. online specs indicate it should move around 200ml per 20 seconds.

    Does anyone know if these pumps are serviceable?

    if it isnt serviceable, is there any reason not to replace this one with an ulka pump? - although I really like its quietness.

    I also notice that my 55W pump does not look to be available online, so would it make any difference if I replaced with a 48W or 70W?

    Thanks!

    pump specs: 220v/50hz 55w 1106pailm1n.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,520

    Re: fluidotech vibe pump fault? serviceable?

    is the zero positive pressure slowing it down?
    whats it push on positive line pressure?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    600

    Re: fluidotech vibe pump fault? serviceable?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5E525B56565F330 link=1267518463/1#1 date=1267519026
    is the zero positive pressure slowing it down?
    straight from the pump into a cup. if thats what you mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5E525B56565F330 link=1267518463/1#1 date=1267519026
    whats it push on positive line pressure?
    not sure what you mean? basically I have a 1 litre container 20cm above the pump, going downhill into the pump and out to a cup.

    does that help?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Port Fairy
    Posts
    2,993

    Re: fluidotech vibe pump fault? serviceable?

    Sorry read your reply. Avoid the up and over inlet line you will most likely have a partial airlock.

    They are only really good with flooded suction (water above the pump) and no restrictions. Any of these things will cause a drop in output.

    And remembering that pumps dont suck itss the earth that does ::)

  5. #5
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: fluidotech vibe pump fault? serviceable?

    Quote Originally Posted by 64616D69616E31000 link=1267518463/0#0 date=1267518463
    Hi,

    I have a fluidotech vibe pump on my vbm that I think may need repair/replacement. The flow from the grouphead if slow. *It is from a plumbed in machine, but I am running the machine off an external tank. *When removed the pump from the machine (ie, no pressure), the pump moves only about 65-70ml per 20 seconds. *online specs indicate it should move around 200ml per 20 seconds. *

    Does anyone know if these pumps are serviceable? *

    if it isnt serviceable, is there any reason not to replace this one with an ulka pump? - although I really like its quietness.

    I also notice that my 55W pump does not look to be available online, so would it make any difference if I replaced with a 48W or 70W?

    Thanks!

    pump specs: 220v/50hz 55w 1106pailm1n.
    YES and NO to the highlighted section..

    1: I have had what I expect as 75% success...

    2: A number of systems use the Ulka 5 Vibe pump as a direct replacement... *$ is very close

    3: If going to the vibe pump.. Be aware that extra fittings may be required due *;)

    4: coffeeparts over there on the left has some stock.

    As to what actually happens..

    A: Crap get caught in the springs and or they loose tension.

    B: Crap can build up in the barrel

    C: Seals perish

    D: The balls get damaged.. *Old ones look like crap when inspected under a quality Laboratory microscope.

    Any repair relies on parts and as these are not available in general... *Making do is not always the answer and does not always deliver the expected outcome.

    Now if ya do get a new pump... I am interested in the old one *;)



  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    600

    Re: fluidotech vibe pump fault? serviceable?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5651555A52584D5D5A53340 link=1267518463/3#3 date=1267520415
    Avoid the up and over inlet line you will most likely have a partial airlock.
    not sure what you mean here, it is going down only.

    Quote Originally Posted by 755A53514679555A55535159515A40340 link=1267518463/4#4 date=1267524431
    I have had what I expect as 75% success...
    id be happy if they were my odds too. but what am i complaining about - i only had to spend $1 on my control box! Then again I am only up to problem 3 of about 8!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by 755A53514679555A55535159515A40340 link=1267518463/4#4 date=1267524431
    If going to the vibe pump.. Be aware that extra fittings may be required due
    yep got a good supply.

    Quote Originally Posted by 755A53514679555A55535159515A40340 link=1267518463/4#4 date=1267524431
    As to what actually happens..
    sounds like it is probably worth a pull apart. I think first I will connect the pump alone to mains pressure like how it was designed within the machine, and see what result I get. Although having said this, i connected the machine to mains a while back and the flow rate through the group was obviously a problem then also - I just thought it was probably a blockage in the grouphead which I have checked and ruled out.

    Quote Originally Posted by 755A53514679555A55535159515A40340 link=1267518463/4#4 date=1267524431
    Now if ya do get a new pump... I am interested in the old one
    its all yours if I go that way - but it will have been unsucessfully pulled apart by me, but Ill try and put it back together again!!!



  7. #7
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: fluidotech vibe pump fault? serviceable?

    Quote Originally Posted by 75707C78707F20110 link=1267518463/5#5 date=1267530581
    it will have been unsucessfully pulled apart by me, but Ill try and put it back together again!!!
    giggled like a schoolgirl...

    Many years ago; I rebuilt our only alternator, while in a cyclone in the Torres Strait.. *When we got back to port, the company that had to do all the repairs... Wanted to know who worked on the Alternator *:o

    They had to get a new one as that said it was stuffed and that who ever worked on it; should have been tossed to the sharks. *The skipper looked at me and and said... If he didnt work on it and get it working; we would have all been shark food. I felt good but also worried...

    Did a rough test out back about a week ago... *

    1: *Used Ulka 5 blue coil (china unit)_ Vs new fluidotech vibe pump from coffeeparts

    A: 6" head

    B: Manual prime

    Results.

    Ulka out performed the fluidotech...

    As per others previously..

    If connected to mains = fluidotech *

    If from an un pressurised tank = Ulka

    Trust this helps...

    PS. *I figured I must have stuffed up some wiring (was not qualified then) and the bearings and drive gear etc was repaired using a old welder, grinder and bits, as some parts got lost in the false floor in the eng room... *Rotten bilge water and in a cyclone not a good place to be..

    Then again; got it working and we all got back *::)


    PPS. Ulka repair guide. *Note... Does not always work :-)

    http://ulkapumprepair.blogspot.com/2008/10/original-website-page.html


  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    600

    Re: fluidotech vibe pump fault? serviceable?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3A3F33373F306F5E0 link=1267518463/5#5 date=1267530581
    I think first I will connect the pump alone to mains pressure like how it was designed within the machine, and see what result I get.
    well I got around to this, and when under 350 kpa from mains, water flows at a good rate. This indicates to me the pump would work fine for a plumbed in machine, but not from a tank. Im wondering if it is just that this pump is designed to be connected to mains rather than tank??? Can anyone confirm this pump should be able to operate properly from a tank?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,520

    Re: fluidotech vibe pump fault? serviceable?

    Hey frabel

    do you really need to run it via a tank?

    i have a pump sitting here form that clunker "eurolab" *machine, no one wants it. I kind of had a look inside, this thread reminded me to go to "pay it forward" delete it...


    so you could fit it up to your machine, not sure it will solve your problems but? *or even if it could be fitted

    specs on the pump
    240v 50hz
    made in italy
    CEME Eng
    E50501
    47w class F
    id 2/1 min
    type DGE

    in the pic




  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    600

    Re: fluidotech vibe pump fault? serviceable?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4E424B46464F230 link=1267518463/8#8 date=1268113798
    do you really need to run it via a tank?
    unfortunately yes. Id much prefer it to be plumbed in, but cant where I am at the moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by 4E424B46464F230 link=1267518463/8#8 date=1268113798
    so you could fit it up to your machine, not sure it will solve your problems but?or even if it could be fitted
    Thanks for your offer. Ill keep trying with this one for now, and the other opti8on is I ahve a spare rotary pump but they are a bit ugly for on a bench and want to avoid that. Ill be in contact if I cant sort this one out. thanks.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    600

    Re: fluidotech vibe pump fault? serviceable?

    well I stripped the pump, but besides a clean there wasnt really much I could service. Put it back together and no improvement. So I cant use it from a tank, but it works fine plumbed in.

    Quote Originally Posted by 002F2624330C202F2026242C242F35410 link=1267518463/4#4 date=1267524431
    Now if ya do get a new pump... I am interested in the old one
    sorry AM, Im going to keep this pump in case I want to return it to original state.

    I have now changed it over to a rotary pump which works great. the motor/pump is almost as big as the machine, but thats ok!


  12. #12
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: fluidotech vibe pump fault? serviceable?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2B2E22262E217E4F0 link=1267518463/10#10 date=1274312651
    well I stripped the pump, but besides a clean there wasnt really much I could service. *Put it back together and no improvement. *So I cant use it from a tank, but it works fine plumbed in. *

    Quote Originally Posted by 002F2624330C202F2026242C242F35410 link=1267518463/4#4 date=1267524431
    Now if ya do get a new pump... I am interested in the old one
    sorry AM, Im going to keep this pump in case I want to return it to original state. *

    I have now changed it over to a rotary pump which works great. the motor/pump is almost as big as the machine, but thats ok!
    Well done... Bugger another parts supply down teh gurgular... So to speak :D



Similar Threads

  1. Vibe pump vs rotary pump - Rancilio S24
    By coffeelust in forum Brewing Equipment - Pointy End ($1500-$3000)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14th March 2010, 05:12 PM
  2. replacing vibe pump for Rotary__HELP
    By Juanjo in forum Brewing Equipment - Extreme Machines ($3000+)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13th May 2009, 08:48 AM
  3. Loud vibe pump problem
    By Sparky in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th November 2005, 09:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •