Thread: Elektra Semi-Auto Chrome how much should I pay?

Elektra Semi-Auto Chrome how much should I pay?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum as I am in the process of sourcing a 2nd hand Elektra Microcasa semi-auto chrome and I just wanted to ask what would be a reasonable price to pay for a 4 year old machine, that is in near new condition?

Your advice and comments are welcome.

Thanks,

-Italian Bean

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: Elektra Semi-Auto Chrome how much should I pay?

Ebay?

TC

Hello IB,

I guess you should pay more than the guy behind you is prepared to and as much as the guy selling it is prepared to let it go for?

Suggest you do a search here ^^^^^ on the term Electra. Set the filter to 12 months. There are some very interesting threads which you should read before you jump based only on bling.

Good luck

2mcm

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 506D7875707877465B7C7877190 link=1268095702/0#0 date=1268095702
    Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum as I am in the process of sourcing a 2nd hand Elektra Microcasa semi-auto chrome and I just wanted to ask what would be a reasonable price to pay for a 4 year old machine, that is in near new condition?

Your advice and comments are welcome.

Thanks,

-Italian Bean
    Welcome,

I dont know what your machine buying criteria is but heres my two bob.

Second hand semis rarely, if ever come on to the market in Oz. Assuming the seller knows this and what they are worth new, what you will pay is directly related to how much you want the thing whilst keeping the new price in mind - between $2,700 and $3,000.

If you do hand over whatever amount then you have just created market value - unless another one pops up the week after and sells for a lot less :(. You have then paid over the odds.

Have a read of the coffeegeek and homebarista reviews if you havent already.

The consensus around here is that the Lektra will not pull a shot as good as an E61. I tend to disagree but then again I like to be difficult.

Would I buy one? In a flash but theres no power point in a bus shelter which is where i would be living if I did. Just me and a cold Lektra.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 676E7D6E7968796E666A0B0 link=1268095702/3#3 date=1268107254
    Would I buy one? In a flash but theres no power point in a bus shelter which is where i would be living if I did. Just me and a cold Lektra.
    ;D......Nicely put.

Steve

Thanks for the Welcomes and suggestions.

DrDregs is right Ive tried ebay and searching for 2nd hand machines of this model, but there doesnt seem to be any market for them. This is the reason for posting on the forum.
    Does this mean they are that good and no one wants to part with them?
    The reviews on these machines are quite positive, although being finicky and quirky, the quality of shots are fantastic, and the milk frothing equally as good.

Thanks again

-Italian Bean

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 7F42575A5F57586974535758360 link=1268095702/5#5 date=1268108966
    The reviews on these machines are quite positive, although being finicky and quirky, the quality of shots are fantasti
    Yes IB, thats what I hear as well....

I know of suppliers who dropped them for this reason as they are hard work and dont make for happy campers *:-/.

I suspect they are pretty thin on the ground in Australia.

For me, finiky and quirky implies that its going to be difficult to put a consistent result in the cup and that would be a deal breaker- whatever the price.

We juggle multiple variables in the attempt to get a perfect shot. Why throw even more variables in there? *:-/

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by 40495A495E4F5E49414D2C0 link=1268095702/3#3 date=1268107254
    Would I buy one?
    Not at half the price. :P

Quote Originally Posted by 65584D40454D42736E494D422C0 link=1268095702/5#5 date=1268108966
    Nah, probably just that the bling went bang.

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 734E5B56535B5465785F5B543A0 link=1268095702/5#5 date=1268108966
    Thanks for the Welcomes and suggestions.

The reviews on these machines are quite positive, although being finicky and quirky, the quality of shots are fantastic, and the milk frothing equally as good.

Thanks again

-Italian Bean

Some would say its because theyre no good and they look contrived and a bit Flash Gordonish. Personally, I suspect if you own one you would passionately disagree. *The E61 groupies (is that a pun?) will offer some interesting thoughts on the Lekky. I reckon a lot of them are closet admirers.

Bling is in the eye of the baristi in this case. It comes down to whatever froths your milk.

If its a fair price just buy the thing. You wont regret it.

Now you have my juices going. I wonder how much I could get for my E98 ;D. *

One of my good mates has one and it does not get used

Its stands on the bench for show ::)

KK

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 17363D3D3A20530 link=1268095702/7#7 date=1268109817

Nah, probably just that the bling went bang.
    Very funny. Reminds me of the thread on HB (CG?) about the exploding portafilter :o in a Lektra miniverticale.

But Bean - have a look for some more objective views elswhere as well and dont be put off.

By the way, the exploding pf was because he was using the wrong one.

levercrema

Wheres herzog? Im waiting for both barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by 323B283B2C3D2C3B333F5E0 link=1268095702/10#10 date=1268111213
    have a look for some more objective views
    Now tell me...where would you find that?

Oh, heres one right here. I own an Elektra (a HX machine) and it runs hot out of the box and is not well set up at all. Not suprising given they have a reputation for this. I have modified it to perform well.

Part of my trade is selling coffee making equipment, ranging from Aeropress to Has Garanti Roasters. I am confident that anything I sell will perform its intended function admirably. Thats also why I choose not to sell this particular piece of equipment. This applies to HX machines too - there are some duds out there.

And tell me, can you pull a better shot on your La Pavoni than your Microcasa?

Quote Originally Posted by 323B283B2C3D2C3B333F5E0 link=1268095702/10#10 date=1268111213
    Reminds me
    Actually, I was thinking of a 1946 article from La Domenica del Corriere about an exploding coffee machine in a bar in Modena, where 3 or 4 people were injured. Thank goodness weve made some progress. I like the 1953 Faema Mercurio much more. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 0D524A5C575C5059595A5A525E513F0 link=1268095702/6#6 date=1268109778
    I know of suppliers who dropped them for this reason as they are hard work and dont make for happy campers *.

I suspect they are pretty thin on the ground in Australia.

For me, finiky and quirky implies that its going to be difficult to put a consistent result in the cup and that would be a deal breaker- whatever the price.

We juggle multiple variables in the attempt to get a perfect shot. Why throw even more variables in there? *

I can probably clear a few things up here, as theres often confusion between this machine and the similar looking, but mechanically very *different Lever based model.

The SemiAuto is a true HX machine, and is actually very similar to an E61.

Unlike the Leva, the "finicky" things are fairly minor are dont relate to variables affecting the quality of whats in the cup.

If anything this machine has one less cup quality variable than many e61s (more on that in a sec)

There are two "tricky bits" that make this machine unsuitable for people who dont "get" machinery. (eg: ppl who cant set the clock on their VCR!).

1. The hot parts are exposed. Pretty straightforward, you can either work with this or you cant :)

2. The boiler must be periodically checked via a sight glass and topped up (via a pushbutton pump). Once a week or so. If you let it run dry, you can damage the machine.

Otherwise, its very similar to e61HX machines.

As far as shots go, its very good, very consistently, just like the HB shootout found. And you get perfect microfoam every time.

As I alluded to above, the manual refill can actually take one small variable out of the equation compared to other e61s, since the machine will never unexpectedly start refilling the boiler while you are steaming or shotting.

Now the Lever model IS quite different, its not a HX, and needs to be left to cool after every couple of shots. Thats a tricky machine to use. The semiauto is not. If you can use an e61 proficiently, you shouldnt have trouble with the semi.

Hope that clears a few things up, and Im happy to try to answer any more questions in this thread.

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 48696262657F0C0 link=1268095702/12#12 date=1268115114
    have a look for some more objective views *
    Now tell me...where would you find that?

Oh, heres one right here. *I own an Elektra (a HX machine) and...

No need to be condescending. Asides like you wouldnt buy one for half the price and exploding bling can hardly be call objective without some qualification.

I assume the context of your Pavoni and Elektra comment is that being two levers they must, therefore pull equally good shots. That would be a matter of opinion and a subjective one at that.

And Ive no doubt the Australian vendors of Microcasa semis will disagree with the premise that they are selling duds.

Having said all that I respect your expertise. Especially since you own an Elektra. I dont like smilies but heres one anyway :).

Quote Originally Posted by 767F6C7F6879687F777B1A0 link=1268095702/14#14 date=1268117871
    I assume the context of your Pavoni and Elektra comment is that being two levers they must, therefore pull equally good shots.
    No, no, you misunderstand.

To begin, I love lever machines! See: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1267307447

The reason I asked the question is that I have a suspicion that you are able to pull a better shot, more readily, from your Pav than the Elektra.

Yes/No?

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 56777C7C7B61120 link=1268095702/15#15 date=1268118741
    Quote Originally Posted by 767F6C7F6879687F777B1A0 link=1268095702/14#14 date=1268117871
    I assume the context of your Pavoni and Elektra comment is that being two levers they must, therefore pull equally good shots.
    No, no, you misunderstand. *

To begin, I love lever machines! *See: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1267307447

The reason I asked the question is that I have a suspicion that you are able to pull a better shot, more readily, from your Pav than the Elektra.

Yes/No?
    Dennis - To be honest I havent used a Pavoni lever for over twenty five years. I have had this one for ages and just did a full reco but havent used it yet.

But I reckon the shots from the Microcasa lever would be hard to beat.

Im having a lever day soon and if Im not caffeinated out of my skull Ill let you know what I think.

I just wanted to ask what would be a reasonable price to pay for a 4 year old machine, that is in near new condition?
    Ive seen the odd one come up on Ebay, I recall them going for a bit over $900.00, though dont know the age or history. The price for a new one has gone up recently so if another comes up it may fetch a bit more.

I am an EX importer of this brand machine, and probably the first to bring the Micro Casa semi auto into Australia.

The factory chooses to place itself firmly in the low volume production / extremely high profit market sector.

Depends on what you are looking for or at, but basically you "need" to look at the brand in toto in terms of whether the niche market design and bling translates through to a great coffee machine / * FOR THE PRICE.

Only an individual end user purchaser can answer that question for themselves.

Also, the individual needs to consider whether, just because something cost X gazzillion dollars when new, does this mean that when it comes to be passed it on to its next owner, that he can "claim" a great proportion of the original purchase price back in the form of his resale price. What about when you subsequently want to pass it on?

Its essentially the same question anyone needs to ask themselves when seeking to purchase (whether new or second hand), an item that was originally sold as an "upmarket" item with commensurate price tag attached.

In this case is the item an antiquity with antique value? Lots of people get confused on this one. The answer of course is no, it is a new machine made in a style reminiscent of far off times. Does the style make it a good espresso machine when compared to other espresso machines in similar price bracket?

Sorry to be repeating your own question back to you, but only you can provide the answer for your own situation.

Regardz,
    Attilio.

very first CS site sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by 625F4A47424A4574694E4A452B0 link=1268095702/0#0 date=1268095702
    I just wanted to ask what would be a reasonable price to pay for a 4 year old machine, that is in near new condition?
    Id like to ask how you know its in "near new condition"?

Example:
    I recently bought a 10 year old Holden Astra with only 35000km on the clock.
    I got it serviced at 42000km and the front brake rotors needed replacing.
    I know what kind of conditions it was driven under since I got it but can only hazard a guess as to how mistreated the car was for for those first 35000kms as the condition of the brakes was very unexpected.

If the machine wasnt serviced properly there could be more wrong with it than you might guess.
    Little use in not necessarily getting you a bargain.

As another example, in Cyprus there are brand new Mercedes in showrooms that havent been touched since the invasion back in the 70s.
    They have been left to rot.
    They have zero on the clock.
    They would take a lot of restoration work for what on paper are brand new vehicles.

Seals get brittle, grease dries up, rust sets in....

Thanks everyone for their valid points, Ill have to sit back and have a think and I will let you all know if I do buy it.

Cheers,

IB

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 4A7E697F64534F636A6A69690C0 link=1268095702/18#18 date=1268170046
    I am an EX importer of this brand machine, and probably the first to bring the Micro Casa semi auto into Australia.

The factory chooses to place itself firmly in the low volume production / extremely high profit market sector.

Regardz,
    Attilio.

very first CS site sponsor.
    Great post Attilio. But I think I need flaming - Im still thinking of buying one. Somebody slap me.

TC

I think that if your mind is set on it, you will most probably do it regardless of what others say and if it can produce a drinkable coffee, youll likely be ecstatic with your purchase as well...

I have never used one, however we did have a request to repair one. The importer did not respond to our email or return our phone calls. For me, it was good enough reason not to think about doing business with them. My opinion was that they were either arrogant, or slack or both.

When I read through the specifications, I see overpriced, underspecified bling...but if that rocks your boat, go for it ;)

Good luck either way....

Chris

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 7A4F4245716D4148484B4B2E0 link=1268095702/22#22 date=1268185087

When I read through the specifications, I see overpriced, underspecified bling...but if that rocks your boat, go for it ;)

Good luck either way....

Chris
    Yep, all of the above...and just about every owner of a semi would agree with you. But my boat sank a long time ago so I dont think its the bling...Ok maybe a little. I think its that these machines work so well inspite of everything thats not going for them.

Anyway - I got a slap from my wife - again. *

In my profession I know Ill eventually find one at the right price. Then I can play.

From years of experience I can tell you that the Elektra micro-casa is a great machine. Everything on it lasts because its so simple. Being lazy the thing hadnt been serviced for 2.5-3 years and still went strong. Only thing needed changing was a few seals and a descale was done.

Its also produces some really good espresso with relative ease. Some people may think its overpriced for what you get and I can understand that. But you are comparing a Ferrari to an Audi. The Audi maybe more functional but the Ferrari is sexier, has passion and once in while a button cover pops off.