Thread: Expobar help/ advice needed

Expobar help/ advice needed

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi to all,

Long time lurker, first time poster and Im sorry that its to ask for help. During my very, very long search for a replacement for my Gaggia I spent a lot of time here listening to all the advice and suggestions which was much appreciated.

I bought an Expobar Minore from Chris at Talk Coffee late last year, highly recommended for friendly service and a great price, and alls been well with until recently.

I recently removed the shower head and gasket to clean the inside and soak it, I followed the instructions diligently, but since Ive put it back on a couple of things arent happening or working. Firstly the coffee seems a lot sourer with less crema and secondly the mid point resting position of the lever that turns the flow on and off doesnt seem to be putting the grouphead under pressure, if that makes sense. Ive taken it out a few times and have taken Chriss advice to seat the gasket with detergent to get a better seal. Not only this, and this could be my imagination, but the water expelled after the second shot doesnt seem to come out with as much gusto as after the first. Anyone got any clues as to whats going on here?

Secondly, and even Chris didnt know this, Im struggling to learn how to adjust the temperature on the new PID. Everything I read talks about a set button which mine doesnt have. Chris explained that Expobar had been very slow getting these manuals out but Im sure someone here can point me towards a manual or give me a clue as to how to go about doing it? Its not a set of buttons I want to mess around with too much.

Thanks in advance f anybody can help. I love the machine a whole lot and am keen to get back to the coffees it was making me in the first few months. :)

Gavin from Adelaide

Re: Expobar help/ advice needed

Unsure about your technical difficulties, especially considering all you did was clean the shower head and gasket, very weird.

In regards to the PID, I think the original Minore IIIs shipped with Minore II manuals, in which there is a set button for the temperature controller. For the Minore III, simply hold the left arrow for around 3 seconds until the temperature starts flashing. Then use the arrows to adjust accordingly.

Good luck with the issues
    Ben

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 737F7A7D7F6E737772757A6C7770757B6C1E0 link=1268282344/0#0 date=1268282344
    Secondly, and even Chris didnt know this
    Hi madcap...

What the? Since when?? :-?

Setting the temp is as simple as pressing the left button and then its up or down with the left and right as required. Expobar has been reluctant to provide a PID manual with the machine as people who dont understand what theyre doing often fiddle, make bad adjustments which they dont understand and then ring their suppliers expecting repair (on the house of course!) after their fiddling....

Nothing you have done will influence the performance of your machine. On the other hand, if you have played with the PID without understanding the effects of the adjustments, its a possibility.

Id be looking more to technique and/or coffee as the reason for the change in the cup..

Chris

Completely agree with Chris - if you havent adjusted the PID, then what you have done cannot have affected the cup (unless you managed to somehow change the height of the shower head which could thus affect your dosing).
    Hopefully you will get back that great coffee!

Hi madcap, what do you have the PID set to? This might help others diagnose.

Site Sponsor

I found this on the net may will be helpful for you:

http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/ExpobarBrewtusIIcloserlookv6.pdf

Regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Quote Originally Posted by 5F6A67605448646D6D6E6E0B0 link=1268282344/2#2 date=1268290429
    What the?? *Since when?? :-?

Setting the temp is as simple as pressing the left button and then its up or down with the left and right as required.

Chris
    Sorry Chris, I must have completely misunderstood you when I asked you this a few weeks ago.

When I hold down the left button it brings up PRG then the temperature, currently on 93, but the number doesnt flash. A little LED down the bottom right of the display flashes a few times and then when I hit the left button to try and decrease the temperature it just brings up PRG again. If I hit the right button at this point it brings up OFF which I assume is the offset setting which I dont want to play with.

Im also just not sure why the mid point of the lever between turning the flow on and off doesnt seal the grouphead anymore. The only thing Ive done to the machine *is to remove the showerscreen and gasket. Chris mentioned something about a microswitch that i didnt really understand.

Im using the same techniques I was three months ago and using the same beans from the same roaster and just not getting the same results and the machine is acting differently than when I first bought it.

Im confused. :(

TC

Hello madcap,

If you email me, I can send you the PID manual.

Some groups seal at midpoint, some dont. If yours has changed, its most likely wear of or debris (scale) on the rubber seals within the group. Mo matter anyway as its not really an issue either way

Cheers

Chris