Thread: I cant believe the difference.

I cant believe the difference.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I just thought Id post an update on my 2 week old VBM Domobar Junior. When I first bought it, I thought I would persevere with my Sunbeam Grinder for a while. I was getting a decent extraction and pour, but it just didnt taste right. Now Im not good at proper descriptions like chocolate, blueberry, etc - it just didnt taste right - at least not as good as my Sunbeam 6910.

Now there were lots of variables - ME for a start. Although my dosing/tamping technique was consistent and I was getting good extractions, my milk texturing was awful, so I assumed my milk was affecting the taste of the coffee, and it probably was.

But then I bought a new Mazzer Mini during the week. I cant believe the difference. Even the quick pours which I was getting while dialling it in, tasted better than anything my Sunbeam produced!!

This whole process is like a big jigsaw puzzle and slowly its coming together. Im still working on my milk, but I am sure the Mazzer has made a HUGE difference.

Some observations. I still have to get used to the doser and the THWACK THWACK technique. I was tossing up the Compak K3 touch because I was scared of the doser. At the moment its slightly annoying, but Im sure Ill get used to the idea of having a doser. I might have to tape mod it because there are a few grinds left at the bottom of the doser. Still not sure if I should have got doserless or not, I guess that argument will go on forever and there is no right or wrong.

Finally a big THANK YOU to Renzo and David at Di Bartoli for your patience and guidance. I went in during the week to buy my grinder and was given an impromptu 1 hour milk texturing lesson. Thank you guys, its been a pleasure dealing with you.

To any newbies out there looking for guidance, 2 pieces of advice. Invest in a good grinder (i know its cliche but VERY true) and buy from a site sponsor - the service I received is amazing and you always feel welcome to go back even with seemingly silly questions.

Site Sponsor

Re: I cant believe the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 61666D6D667777030 link=1268429800/0#0 date=1268429800

Finally a big THANK YOU to Renzo and David at Di Bartoli for your patience and guidance. I went in during the week to buy my grinder and was given an impromptu 1 hour milk texturing lesson. Thank you guys, its been a pleasure dealing with you.

To any newbies out there looking for guidance, 2 pieces of advice. Invest in a good grinder (i know its cliche but VERY true) and buy from a site sponsor - the service I received is amazing and you always feel welcome to go back even with seemingly silly questions.
    Hi Bennett,

Its awesome you see the difference with the new grinder! Hope milk texture is more consistent now...

BTW. there are no silly questions, its all part of our learning curve... ;)

Feel free to drop by anytime with some more queries as you go along!

Renzo & David

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 64636868637272060 link=1268429800/0#0 date=1268429800
    Now there were lots of variables - ME for a start
    hee hee... yes we ALL suffer from that variable, the good news is that over time it becomes less of the major problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 64636868637272060 link=1268429800/0#0 date=1268429800
    Still not sure if I should have got doserless or not, I guess that argument will go on forever and there is no right or wrong
    The correct answer seems very seasonal and in the end it really is just personal preference. *At home we had a doserless grinder for years and I liked it but when I swapped for a doser my wife loved it so even within the same household we cannot determine which is better (although the wife-factor was more based on noise and mess)

Excellent advice and great news (although not totally surprising) that you got amazing service from a site sponsor. *Kudos to Di Bartoli too!

Have fun learning and perfecting the use of your new toys as you take another step along the journey to stunning coffee in every cup.
    8-)

it is mind blowing what difference the grinder makes. I almost got knocked off my feet when I did the upgrade from an i-mini to my macap.

i personally like the doser - it saves me a few seconds when making many coffees in a go. then again, Im sure there are others who swear by the doserless, it all comes down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Caffeine Junky

Likewise with me in going from a Lux (built-in with my combi machine) to a Compak K3 Elite. Shocked by the added complexity and depth of flavours.