Thread: Vibe pump vs rotary pump - Rancilio S24

Vibe pump vs rotary pump - Rancilio S24

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

Our beautiful S24 is currently being serviced and the technician reckons shot quality would be improved greatly by replacing the existing vibe pump with a rotary pump. The S24 has a built-in reservoir and he says we could run it off a big bottle and the pressure would still be more consistent than currently. The tech can fit a reconditioned pump for about $70.

Worth doing?

Cheers

L

A_M

Re: Vibe pump vs rotary pump - Rancilio S24

Quote Originally Posted by 565A5353505059404641350 link=1268443476/0#0 date=1268443476
    Hi all

Our beautiful S24 is currently being serviced and the technician reckons shot quality would be improved greatly by replacing the existing vibe pump with a rotary pump. *The S24 has a built-in reservoir and he says we could run it off a big bottle and the pressure would still be more consistent than currently. The tech can fit a reconditioned pump for about $70.

Worth doing?

Cheers

L
    I am not sure that it would make that big a difference..

The rotary will be much more silent and that would be the biggest change that you might see in the first instance.

If ya read up on pumps and then take into account how the OPV works (GP Pressure gauge post) you will also see how the OPV can also have an impact.

Secondly a reconditioned pump for $70 ? Parts and labour for 3/4hr... What sort of warranty ?

If only for quieter running... May be worth it... As to shot quality ??

I am upgrading to a machine for the mains connected pump (fluid-O-tech)

If you decide to go for the pump upgrade on the S24 it would be prudent to go for a filtered mains pressure system as I believe that does make a difference

KK

To be honest,

I couldnt pick any difference between my Bezzera BZ-35/MiniBar and a Vibe pump machine of similar specs, using the same coffee and with delivery pressures setup to the same numbers. The big thing with Rotary Pumps though, is that they can be much, much quieter and that in itself may be a selling point.

I guess the only way youre going to be able to make the decision based on results in the cup, is take along some fresh coffee that you are very familiar with, and do a side by side test with similarly specd machines aside from the Pump Type. You may have a more discriminating palate than mine and may be able to pick up on some difference(s). It would be interesting though, if you do manage to complete such a comparison, to post the results back here for us to contemplate....

All the best Luwaks... :)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 535F565655555C454344300 link=1268443476/0#0 date=1268443476
    Hi all...technician reckons shot quality would be improved greatly by replacing the existing vibe pump with a rotary pump. *The S24 has a built-in reservoir and he says we could run it off a big bottle and the pressure would still be more consistent than currently. The tech can fit a reconditioned pump for about $70.

Worth doing? *

From above quote, ".....Improved greatly...."

This leads to the expectation of a) a significant and b) a noticeable better shot quality. To use another term, that would be a "wow" factor.

In my honest opinion, sorry, but no.

While people will say that rotary pump will give better shot quality than a vibe pump we are talking "laboratory" work where you (someone) purposely sets out to pick a significant difference. If you did this "blind", even if you did pick a difference in the coffee, you would then need to decide whether the difference was attributable to that OR, one of the miriad other variables that always come into play when you brew coffee.

And if you do pick a difference, is it really "better", or just "different"????????????? And if you are used to using the vibe pump machine and have everything set up to work in the best way possible and you are very happy with the results, and you change to a rotary pump set up and it is different, what does that prove?

Also, do you really want to have someone bodgy up a perfectly good standard set up machine, so that it has to have an external tank, water lines and motor/pump hanging out all over the place?

New RRP of *pump motor say $350.00
    New RRP of an impeller pump say $220.00
    2 New flexible water lines, unions etc, say $60.00.
    Labour ??? @ say $99.00 per hour.

Reco pump for cheaper? Afraid not. Procon will charge you same as a new pump for their service, less around $30.00 if you provided them with the exchange body.

Even if you consider all second hand.....$70.00 including the very time consuming labour to set up????????????????

The odds are, if you go ahead with it and expect that "wow" factor coming into play, I think you will be left scratching your head.

Just call me Doubting Thomas today :)

By the way, please dont be upset if I ask....is this a "trick question" topic placed to see who would bite, agree carte blanche and run with it?

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor &
    Coffee, Equipment & Topic Psychologist.

Thanks all for your input. It sounds like it probably wouldnt change much except the noise, which doesnt get me down anyhow.

No, Attilio, no tricks. I think Ive been persuaded against my own intuition. :)

Cheers

L

Quote Originally Posted by 313D343437373E272126520 link=1268443476/5#5 date=1268540559
    ...no tricks. I think Ive been persuaded against my own intuition. *:)
    hehehe..... ;) careful, women have intuition, men have gut feeling!

If your gut feeling is to do it, then by george do it.

Just do it with your eyes open!

Regards,
    A.