Thread: Magister Stella

Caffeine Junky

Magister Stella

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    mod edit- split from http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1268800092

Off topic here but Id be interested to hear your thoughts on the Magister Stella arkie. Have seen them on the bay of evil but not much info around on them.

I dont think Id ever buy equipment that isnt sold and supported by our sponsors but on paper the Stella looks ok and an alternative option to the Oscar as an entry level HX (I am assuming its an HX).

TC

Re: Magister Stella

Hmm...I think its a face only a mother could love.. *:-?

Seems they retail at $2.6k and at that price, certainly not one Id contemplate in our range unless it was actually about $1k cheaper....

Caffeine Junky

Thanks Chris, dont know what they go for on evil bay, could be a lot less than retail. Personally I would not take the risk even at half price, way too many warning bells i.e. virutally no info available on them, spare parts availability, after sales support (especially when buying off evil bay), etc. etc.

TC

Any time ;)

For mine, you have to live with a machine for a long time and a coupla hundy saved on the way in will frequently come back to haunt you every day. The same goes for those who wish to screw every last cent out of a deal as well...

A story from yesterday:

We received an enquiry about 3 weeks ago from a person looking for a Giotto Premium Plus. We offered a very good deal on a machine, coupled with our after sales support, but the client chose to go elsewhere to purchase- presumably for a cheaper "deal".

What the buyer received was a demo machine (who knows how old??) from their now delisted suppllier with one very old double group handle- no single, blind, handbook or other accessories. The machine was to be a gift...

The unhappy camper is in a bind as the supplier will not do anything to assist as "you bought a demo machine, sunshine"....

The person now has a $300+ account to make the 2nd hand machine look new(ish)....Rather than saving, I suspect that they have spent much more....

Caveat emptor guys....

Chris

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 7D484542766A464F4F4C4C290 link=1268830122/3#3 date=1268867230
    you have to live with a machine for a long time
    Im probably an exception that. In the last 11 months Ive bought, in order:

Sunbeam EM4800
    Sunbeam EM6910
    Sunbeam EM0480
    Quaha Napoletana II
    Mokita Combi

Compak K3 Elite
    ECM Giotto
    ECM Best
    NS Oscar
    Sunbeam EM0480

The ones in yellow have moved on to new owners. Most recently the Quaha which was picked up by a courier 10mins ago to deliver to another CS member.

All my equipment has been bought second (Compak grinder was ex-demo). Only bad experience was some issues with the EM6910 (surprise surprise) but that was well after I purchased it.

Although I wouldnít recommend this path for most others I have really enjoyed having this variety of machinery Ė I guess Iím an equipment junky. I also canít resist a bargain and for this reason I havenít really lost much money along the way.

The plan at this stage is to buy myself a brand new machine later this year (probably BZ07 or VBM Junior Ė limited bench space), I will definitely be contacting you then Chris. Because of my rapid learning curve over the last year I now know what I want/need/desire and that machine WILL have to last me a long time.