Thread: Water Filter for Giotto Premium

Water Filter for Giotto Premium

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

I have read a bit about water softening on CS
    I have spoken to our water filter supplier and they say that a proper softener is very expensive and is usually whole of house job! *Or like those ($$) stainless steel containers full of resin lurking under the counters of serious coffee shops.

They do sell a .5 micron carbon filter that replaces an under sink filter that ? adds something? (- my words) * to the water that reduces scale or protects the boiler. *This filter is WA$95. *Regular descaling is still necessary but the build up should be much reduced.

I would be grateful for any comment.
    I do wish to protect GP.

dumiya

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: Water Filter for Giotto Premium

check out site sponsor Bombora all your questions will be answered, for less than 10% of the purchase price of the machine, you can have perfect scale free water to feed your Giotto ;)

Caffeine Junky

I sent some questions to Bombora today and Bernard emailed me back within an hour. *Great service.

You definitely dont have to get a whole house water softener, you just need a filter cartridge that prevents scale. *Bombora sell them in various forms e.g. drop-in filters that fit into any standard 10" x 2.5" housing
    http://www.fridgefilters.com.au/product.php?productid=17840&cat=475&page=1
    If you already have a filter set up you may be able to replace one of them with the above. I would check with the guys at Bombora to be sure, Im only just learning myself.

Otherwise something like this on its own or connected in series after any existing filtration you have:

http://www.clean-machine.com.au/product.php?productid=170&cat=0&page=1 for $129

I have recently fitted a dedicated filter system to my Bezzera BZ40
    Most shops use them
    Everpure with quick change head
    fitted with a special coffee machine filter 2CB GW

Coffee Parts sell them
    http://coffeeparts.com/accessories/water-filters-softners.html

KK

Caffeine Junky

Another chance to plug Bombora....

Bernard just got back to me (email sent at 10pm) with a recommended system for Adelaide mains water. Its this one http://www.fridgefilters.com.au/product.php?productid=17891&cat=476&page=1 plus a high capacity inline cation filter (for scale reduction).

Bernard offered a very substantial CoffeeSnobs Discount plus free delivery and some extra hose for my outdoor installation.

Im sure my needs are small fry compared to other customers but Bernard has gone out of his way to assit. I could waste time trying to find a cheaper system which may or may not be suitable, but will not bother.

Hi all
    Bernard at Bombara has emailed me and I think all will be well, very well indeed.
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    dumiya

CJ--
    Thats the system Ive been using for just under a year and the current figures for the system are as follows:

Tap--KH 53, GH 161, pH 7
    Filter--KH 53, GH 35, pH 6.8

The figures for the filtered water have remained stable since day one.

Greg

Caffeine Junky

Sounds promising Greg thanks for that. I will be mounting mine outdoors on the wall outside the kitchen windown. I will then feed a line through the wall coming out under the kitchen sink, up to the supplied tap.

Ill knock up some time of cover to protect it from the elements, Bernard feels this will be ok. I guess it will be easy to add a tee joint if I ever get myself a plumbed in machine.

Yes, Yes, Yes

I have installed the InLine Cation Resin filter (softening cartridge) in line between the carbon filter and the outlet tap. *A push fit at each end. The metre of white hose supplied was very definitely appreciated.

All went very well.
    A moment of panic when one end leaked! *It was caused by a flake of something caught around the O ring. *Once removed and cleaned all was good.

I have not got my head fully around the test strips but prior to installation the water hardness was around "7" *after the fitting hardness dropped to "0".

I was very pleased with the help from Bombora, advice and supplies.

dumiya.

Caffeine Junky

Great stuff Dumiya. I received my system from Bombora earlier this week. Went to Bunnings today for a few brass fittings and a 400mm drill bit.

I plan to set it up outside and then feed the 1/4" hose through the wall to the kitchen sink (hence the drill bit). Didnt think to get test strips, would have been a good idea.